Project Q-Felicia

TeflonTom

Are you sure the camshaft sprocket isn't 360 degrees out?

i've checked the vernier pulley and it's timing marks/orientation is indentical to the standard pulley...

next job is to take the rocker cover off and see what's going on, as a general rule when the engine is at TDC, the number 4 inlet is just opening and the number 4 exhaust is just closing:O

i've definately fitted the pistons round the right way and afaik there's nothing else that can cause this, so it's either the hydraulic lifters causing it or possibly the camshaft has been ground with incorrect phasing, i will compare it against the original cam:)

right :o curiousity got the better of me so i braved out the rain to go outside and have a gander.

the hydraulic lifters are fine, i know they aren't holding the valves off because i can turn them with my fingers when they are on the base circle, so i can discount them as the cause:D

however the camshaft is doing something a little strange, this is a pic of the number 4 valves (intake on left, exhaust on right).. i would expect to see both valves open equal amounts at TDC on the number 4 cylinder. the intake is fully closed, as i can rotate the lifter with my fingers! and the exhaust is open (not fully open) hence the piston to valve contact when the crank comes up to TDC.

number4atTDC.jpg

here's the timing mark for the camshaft, the little spot on the edge of the pulley lines up with the lug in the timing belt cover. ignore what the vernier is doing those few degrees wont make any difference (although some of you may notice that the + an - are marked back to front:O)

camTDC.jpg

:confused: Lummox where are you??

Lummox has been moving house.

Am I correct in thinking the camshaft sproket makes to revolutions to every revolution of the crankshaft sproket? Saying that, my comment of being 360 degrees out is nonsense! :rofl:

Nearly as bad as my dad at the weekend... I'd taken his wheel off of his Xsara to do his pads and disks, and about 1/4 round of the wheel was disporportionally dirty... his reasoning was that is the area where the brake caliper sits :rolleyes:

Am I correct in thinking the camshaft sproket makes to revolutions to every revolution of the crankshaft sproket?

no, it's the other way round... 2 revolutions of the crank = 1 revolution of the cam

Nearly as bad as my dad at the weekend... I'd taken his wheel off of his Xsara to do his pads and disks, and about 1/4 round of the wheel was disporportionally dirty... his reasoning was that is the area where the brake caliper sits :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl:

this has been buggin me all day now... refitted the original camshaft and set it to the TDC marks, just to double check i tried it both with the original camshaft pulley and the vernier pulley(set to 0)

number4atTDCoriginalcam.jpg

this is exactly what i'd expect to find at TDC... number 4 inlet opening, number 4 exhaust closing(both equal amounts when the vernier is set to 0)

world domination :D

no, it's just about tuning up a felicia, going to be doing stuff that hasn't been covered before afaik, like big brake conversion, rear disc conversion, poly bushes, etc etc... plus anything else that anybody else suggests.. like rear arb maybe?:)

oh right wow this is so cool, so hows it going ? sorry kinda wish i fllowed it frmt the start take a while to read lol

So are you going to send the old cam back? Surely its not even usable.?

:) i've emailed them and i'm waiting for a reply at the moment. all may not be lost, i can of course make my own timing marks somewhere.... i suspect it will be something like... "oh yeah, you set it on the factory marks then count back five teeth" or something from them... the only posible difficulty this leaves me with is the trigger wheel on the distributor, but i can solve this be altering the settings in the emerald ecu hopefully:O

it really does annoy me, the whole "dont give a flying ****" attitude you get from some manufacturers... who shall remain nameless;)

i'm still waiting them to get back to me, and to be honest i probably will forever and a day longer....:finger:

anyway, the timing on this camshaft is exactly 5 teeth out (34 degrees) :o

timingmarks.jpg

so i made a few modifications to the pulley and decided to go for the 'line' at the top of the timing belt cover as my timing mark

campulley.jpg

note the chamfered edge of one if the teeth on the crank pulley

bottompulley.jpg

How do you know the timing for this cam is 5 teeth out? Where would you find that information?

experience tells me that;) oh and 2 dial guages on the lifters, when they are both measuring the same lift on cylinder 4(with vernier in 0 position), that is TDC, simple as that:D

There's only about 140 Estelles in the Country IIRC

So please don't molest a good original one.

However, if you were to rescue one from an imminent visit to the crusher ...

plus it is an engine Skoda have used, that you're building.

The conversion would be interesting for sure! Would be nice for burnouts, donuts etc! :rofl:

You can get an adapter plate so you can use the standard gearbox. Just a case of fabricating some engine mounts, and plumbing it all up. Should be a dodde! :thumbup:

you can use the adaptor plate from a 1.6 felicia for that conversion....

anyway, i'm not going to do it..... yet... i want to fettle a felicia first, will think about estelle's and rapids some time in the future :o