Ferodo suppliers

Quinten

Having just (ok' date=' a few hours ago) unpacked my goodies, I notice that the front pads didnt quite survive the handling of either the postie, or the guy working in the warehouse. Can anyone who has these tell me:

1) Does it need (or come) with screws?

2) On the back of the pad are some metal thingies... are they vital? One of them is bent and I'm not sure what they are?

3) In between the 2 halves of the pads is a groove. It seems that something sharp (probably the metal thingies mentioned in 2) removed some pad material... is this going to affect them?

Q.[/quote']

Q,

you just got fronts right?

1) no screws for fronts...screws come with rear pads.

2) inner pad should have metal spring thing which locate pad on inner side of caliper. Just bend it out again.

3) You should have one pad with the spring clips and another without. This makes up one pair. Some pads actually have a groove vertically down the centre of the pads face. Can't remember if the DS2500 had a groove or not. Is this what you see?

Also when your garage comes to fit then they may say..."there's no wire for the brake wear sensor". They're going to have to cut the wire off the original pads and short them togehter. This will stop the brake wear indicator light coming on.

Geoff,

Q got his from DT.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Adrian!

I have fronts and rears (DS2500). Fronts are the ones who appear damaged (but might not be so bad after all) as the packaging was all ripped and bashed. Rears are fine and include screws and instructions. I got mine from Demon Tweeks.

The fronts do actually have a groove, but in the centre of the grrove is a bit of pad missing, like something sharp cut into it. I'll see if I can fabricate some pictures...

Screws - bought some rear pads today - no screws anywhere in sight - what would screws be for?

Screws/bolts hold caliper on....DS2500 rear pads I got came with screws/bolts but don't have those nice built in washers. Used them anyway.

Cna highly recommend the EBC grooved discs. Braking is much improved...particularly now that I have them fitted the right way round i.e. the groove running in the correct direction.

Done a couple hundered miles with the DS2500 and the are bedding in nicely. Sort of followed the bedding in instructions supplied with the pads but have found braking improved with everyday normal driving.

If you go for the discs be prepared for around a 3 week wait. :rolleyes:

Jon has posted bedding in techniques somewhere.......curing brake fade I think it was.

Those pads look pretty brittle anyway Q. The ones I just bought today - while just cheap OEM things, are pretty similar - large grain pressed metal-and-friction material which looks all too easy to damage if knocked or poked with a sharp object. If you can bear to wait for another set, I'd send em back. If you can't, I doubt very much if that damage will have any effect on their effectiveness.

They do seem very brittle for what they are. I guess their strength is on friction, not puncture. And I suppose I can wait for them to be re-delivered, etc. Not sure if Chris agrees though... Will give DTs customer service on Monday a try :)

of the numerous brake pads I have changed several have a similar "damage" around the groove area.....no effect on braking though.

The spring clip looks well bent down.

Did the box have any of that polstyrene packing in it? Mine did and I guess we know why now.

Give Chris a call and see what he can do.

No polstyrene packaging in both rears and front pad boxes. But the rears are mint (and so is the box), unlike the fronts. The 2 bottles of Castrol were well packaged though...

• Administrators

Fluid discs and pads are enough...

140k miles of Jon's Tavia are testament enough...although 4pots/6 ceramics would look the danglies, not alot of call if the above are done. I toyed long and hard...braking is sorted with fluid and pads bear minimum IMHO.

But why does it matter how fast you get to a certain speed? It is irrelevant if it takes you 3 seconds or 20 seconds to get to 70mph, the brakes only influence how fast you can stop from that speed...