Octavia II vRS (Petrol) - Fuel Consumption

Hi All

The deal with the TDI vRS fell through as the car was rubbish when inspected :(

So, It's either a TDI Sport or possibly a Petrol vRS.

I need to know what MPG people are getting out of their Petrol Octavia II vRS's...

Not just down the motorway or when tickling the throttle... Day to day driving on NSL A Roads, with a bit of town traffic thrown in.

Bear in mind I live in the Peak District, so there are lots of hills :)

If people think an average of 35mpg is realistic, then I could get one... 30mpg or lower is a problem.

I know I sound like a tight-ar5e, but I have a budget that I need to stick to.

I would love to get in a vRS as that's what my heart is set on, however all the decent TDI vRS's are well above my budget... However I've found a number of Petrol vRS's in my price range with low milage.

Help me Briskoda... You're my only hope!

I do plenty of miles on a mix of town and motorway + A/B roads and I average around 32mpg, some will get much less I suspect but I do drive it quite hard on the A/B roads and cruise at a small percentage above the nsl on motorways.

I only run it on Vpower, and if I am on a long m-way trip say to scotland at night I can average 35 - 36MPG at 85ish mph on the cruise control.

It's nowhere near as bad as the old impreza at 19mpg

Edit - I have not reset trip 2 on my car for ages so when I pick it up today after the coilpack failure I will let you know the average over the given mileage

We only get 95 RON over here, I'm getting 28-30mpg with lots of back road driving, obviously that goes down when using more of the loud pedal. Would be lucky to get 35mpg on motorway driving.

Hey Josh,

You might like to check out Progress Skoda in Bedford. They have a Black vRS TDI hatch, reg Jan '07 that has been their demo for the last 3 months. They are just about put it on the forecourt. Don't know what price but it is well spec'd.

Try giving Sean a call on 01234 348242

Best I've seen is 40 on a mixture of motorway heavy traffic and through the new forest at 40mph limit.

I reckon I average over 30 around town and 35 is not uncommon on a 20 min run up the motorway and back.

Some stats from my Xmas Road Trip -

Taken from the MaxiDot

Total mileage covered 1746 miles

Total Driving Time 33h 14 min

Average mpg 33.1

Average Speed 53mph

This was basically from home to Glasgow, Glasgow to Thurso, bit of time around there back down to Crieff then to Warrington. Warrington to Portland and then back home.

A good mix of motorway, A and B roads although average 53mph sounds slow it does take some doing to keep the average up that high given the route.

It looks roughly like -

14085.attach

Easy to get 36 mpg plus with a little restraint. Did a 33mp average over some 300 miles of mainly motorway driving mostly at 3450rpm in top;). Short journey rural and light urban sees around 31mpg but these journeys are only around 5 miles generally from cold.

I've only done 1800 miles or so in total so it possibly could improve yet if I keep a little restraint in the throttle although to be honest you don't have to push hard in these cars to be covering the ground pretty rapidly anyway. At the moment over a range of use I'm averaging 33mpg.

Evo are still running a petrol vRS estate in the Fast Fleet. Not seen a full review in there for a while, and the short articles don't list MPG.

For an idea, their Golf GTi averaged 30.7 last month.

I always like it when Evo have run a car I'm interested in, as you know it'll have been driven 'properly', so the MPG figures will offer some decent real-world stats ;)

Steve

i picked up a brand new vRS petrol last saturday and ive been driving mainly to and from work and to the shops journeys of around 5 miles round trip. At the moment the car has only done 620miles but i average around 26.5mpg. However im assured that this figure will increase once the car is run in properly. The run is doing no more than 40mph and is town traffic. I use Shell V Power fuel aswell which over in the fatherland is 100 octane (not sure if its same in UK).Considering i used to get around 13-14mpg in my old omega im thoroughly impressed.

Im driving back to the uk this weekend so gonna see what sort of mpg i get compared with the drive to Germany when it only had 4 miles on the clock.

I know you've asked for petrol vRS figures, but thought it might be useful to add the figures from my vRS TDi. My car has only done about 600miles, so still fairly tight. All my miles so far have been a 18mile 'A' road commute in the morning with plenty of traffic lights followed by a 25mile trip home on 80% motorway with a fair bit of traffic. On my first tank I averaged on '2' on the computer - 42mpg and on the second I'm currently on target for 45mpg.

Dave.

Done 29000 miles over the last 14 months. It normally does 32mpg commuting. Did a 200 mile trip today and got 35mpg. Does 19mpg pulling my caravan.

Remember to factor in oil top ups, as mine has been through 4.5 litres in that time.

I'm averaging 26.5mpg overall since I've had it, but I do a number of shorter journeys involving a lot of 'hooning' about :D

Likewise :D

Altho I average about 21 so you ain't trying hard enough!

(35mpg on motorways, normal driving minus idiousy 29mpg, normal driving 10 ;))

Likewise :D

Altho I average about 21 so you ain't trying hard enough!

(35mpg on motorways, normal driving minus idiousy 29mpg, normal driving 10 ;))

I was trying not to put him off buying one! ;):D

Driving mine like a granny at the moment!

I have only a 5-10 min journey to work, Am and Pm....so can't test it properly until next week but I'm showing about 24-26mpg at the mo. Don't like running it to the point of just starting to warm up then having to stop!

M

What are the chances of getting a demo for the weekend Josh? I suspect the only way you'll really know is to try it on the journeys you do normally....

Steve

It really depends on your driving style.

Over the last 1500 or so miles I have averaged about 28mpg. Most my journeys through the week are the 16 mile round trip to work which quite often involves being stuck in traffic for a little bit but then nearer home the roads are clear so I tend to hoof it.

I've had as much as 34mpg on that trip and as little as 22mpg.

A few weeks ago we did a trip from Newcastle to Kielder which was over 100 miles. On this I averaged 34mpg but I was quite restrained that day.

In summary I don't think you should have a problem achieving 30mpg as long as you don't hoof it all the time.

best ever for me was 32 mpg, usually between 22-25mpg, mixed roads, traffic conditions etc, dont expect 30mpg all the time from my experience

Brian

Bloody hell...! That's pretty poor - that would suggest you have a fairly heavy right foot. You want to be careful round Leicester with that habbit with all the mobile cameras they have!!

Pretty much agree with everything said here.

Yes you can get 36/37mpg in 6th at 55mph with the wind behind you! But in the real world bank on getting 30 or just above on average.

Dan

Pretty much agree with everything said here.

Yes you can get 36/37mpg in 6th at 55mph with the wind behind you! But in the real world bank on getting 30 or just above on average.

Dan

That just about sums it up :)