Front Anti-Roll Bar Bushes

When I was out in the car (Mk1 vRS) the other day a 'clonking' sound started (abruptly) coming from the front end of the car every time I drove over a bump/edge of a mini roundabout/manhole cover/road surface repair etc.

I popped into the local dealer, took him down the road to demonstrate the problem. After a bit of thought and looking under the car on the ramp he diagnosed the anti-roll bar bushes as being the problem. He said there was evidence of the bush moving in the retaining bracket.

Now I don't really understand how that can start all of a sudden unless the right hand side, (which I couldn't see on the ramp) has been dislocated or the bracket broken.

Apparently the bushes aren't available seperately so it'll cost me a new bar and labour, at a total of approx

Change them for Powerflex bushes, then there is no need to buy a new front ARB, just tightens up the front slightly with no real alteration to the standard ride quality.

They are available seperately and are modified and come with new brackets. But if the protective coating on the anti roll bar has come off then there will be corrosion inside the bush and the bar becomes a fraction smaller. At this point we usually recomend a new bar as well.

Powerflex list suitable bushes for the front anti-rollbar. They aren't necessarily harder or stiffer than standard - have a read of the website or give them a call.

Front Anti Roll Bar Mount

2 per car (each) PFF85-411-233 23mm 12.95

Front Anti Roll

Bar Link Bush Kit

2 per car (each) PFF85-4124 15.95

FRONT KIT WITHOUT ROLL BAR MOUNTS 67.80

FRONT KIT WITH ROLL BAR MOUNTS 125.60

REAR KIT 47.90

All prices are plus VAT of course

Powerflex Uprated Suspension Bushes - car polyurethane suspension bush, bump stops & exhaust mounts. Bushes: wishbone, anti-roll bar mount, track control arm, beam mount, TCA, shocks, dampers, springs

Other manufactures (Superflex or Polybush?) offer both standard hardness and uprated kits although I'm not sure they offer them for the Skoda.

Guest musky

Just had mine done on 4x4. I was hoping for just bushes but had the old style bar with inserts(?)(2002 car) that were knackered so needed whole bar £160 fitted. Also came on fairly suddenly.

What year is you're car? some earlier vrs' had plastic bushes over the bar in which case (i think) a new bar will be required:thumbdwn: .

Mine went all of a sudden over a speed bump and it was the plastic bushes...(same as you describe) still it was a good excuse for the now installed r32 arb...:thumbup:

Thanks for that info - It is a 2002 car (71k). There is some evidence of corrosion of the bar around the vicinity of the bush so I'm tempted to agree with Lummox that maybe a new bar is the way to go as replacement bushes that don't fit perfectly seems like throwing good money after bad. It just looked like a rubber bush [thanks for that tip-off Musky/Nitrovrs] (couldn't see a plastic sleeve on the anti-roll bar but at the time I didn't know I was looking for anything else).

Anyone fitted one DIY? Looks and sounds (Mr Haynes + Dealer) like a tricky job if you haven't got a ramp.

Ive looked at my front bushes last night and cant see any wear or corrotion.

Its knocks on and off, mainly over smaller bump. Ill get this looked at a garage as soon as i get a chance.

• 6 months later...

sorry to drag up an old thread but i thought better do this than post my own topic, i think this is the same problem as mine. When either wheel runs over an imperfection in the road i get a clunking,(whichever side runs over the pothole clunks) when both wheels go over a speedbump i dont get a noise (you'd think if it were suspension it'd clunk on both sides over a speed bump). Anyone reckon its anything other than an anti roll bar related issue? and can a half decent home mechanic do the replacement

(i was told when the timing belt was done that the mechanic noticed a crack in the sleeve on the ARB but that was a while ago and its never clunked before)

sorry to drag up an old thread but i thought better do this than post my own topic, i think this is the same problem as mine. When either wheel runs over an imperfection in the road i get a clunking,(whichever side runs over the pothole clunks) when both wheels go over a speedbump i dont get a noise (you'd think if it were suspension it'd clunk on both sides over a speed bump). Anyone reckon its anything other than an anti roll bar related issue? and can a half decent home mechanic do the replacement

(i was told when the timing belt was done that the mechanic noticed a crack in the sleeve on the ARB but that was a while ago and its never clunked before)

It could also be broken radiator mounts, had this myself.

Open the bonnet, grab your radiator (cold) and give it a shake (side to side) see if you can recreate the noise.

To check ARB, i grabbed the front of my car and pulled it up as hard as i could and pushed it down and it creaked. i had skoda do mine

Hi

I have had the same fault with my Octavia 1.9tdi for about a year. my local independent checked the front bushes and you can see the ARB move - eek. Apparently it is a common problem and my independent says Skoda should have recalled the cars, as the bushes are wearing very quickly.

Initially when I saw him he said that if I have plastic bush's then the ARB has to be replaced. But speaking to him a few months ago, when he re filled the aircon, he said they do not need to replace the ARB if you had plastic bushes, apparently the just loosen the ARB so it drops down and then use a tool to insert the new rubber bush. Simple and a big saving!:)

Mine started as an occasional clunk going over bumps, then going round corners (mostly left!?), then when pulling away, then when taking your foot off the gas, and then all the time !!

It's now in having new driveshafts fitted as the offside one is (as my mechanic put it) shot to f0k :( I hope my wallet can take the shock !

Mine started as an occasional clunk going over bumps, then going round corners (mostly left!?), then when pulling away, then when taking your foot off the gas, and then all the time !!

It's now in having new driveshafts fitted as the offside one is (as my mechanic put it) shot to f0k :( I hope my wallet can take the shock !

Always the possibility it is something more serious than 2 plastic/rubber bushes!