vRS vs new Accord ?

daewoo321

hey guys.....

i'm in need of some advice. Looking to sell my Tdi Octavia and getting something faster and have decided it's gonna be the vRS Octavia or the new Accord which has a pretty lovely engine. 2.4l 190hp and a 6 gears box.

price of the accord is not that different.

So basicly i'm asking for pro's and con's for both cars.

P.S. Octavia started with a bit of an advantage for being a Skoda :D

Hello there!

I can't say much about a tavia vrs as I don't own one, but I'm sure a lot of others will naturally vouch for the vrs rather than the accord.

You'd probably get better fuel economy out of the 1.8T and I would have thought it's a lot more "tweakable" than the Accord, having a turbo and all.

So basicly i'm asking for pro's and con's for both cars.

It's not for us to tell you... :)

Basically, you need to drive each car and decide which one you prefer, check the figures and decide whether it's worth the money, and read owners reviews to see if there are reliability issues... :)

Rob.

It's not for us to tell you... :)

Ofcourse it is... buy that vRS now :thumbup:! Then spend 2 grand on modifying it and give a grand to the missus. She'll be happy, you still got a grand to spend on other things and you drive the better car of the two... everyone's a winner! :D

thanks for the replies

am a bit scared of getting another turbo car .... no problems in my Tdi but as i heard turbo engines are not as reliable as regular engines.

any big problems incoutered with the vRS? (engine wise)

are there any guys that have any experience with honda's?

went for drives with both cars.....like em both (better sound quality in the accord)

and another one would be that the octavia is due to change soon so i would have an older model from the beginning :(

I've heard the new generation Accord Diesel is top notch - but not as quick as 190bhp - I think it's a 2.0L TDI putting out a smidge over 140BHP...

I also reckon the 1.8T is more tweakable - I mean you can get 230HP just from a trip to a friendly tuners. :D

I have quite some experience with Hondas - they're terrific. Can't go wrong on them, especially the new Accord. Smooth as silk, superb handling, screamer of an engine, and looks much better than an Octavia too.

So unless you are looking for a tweaked 230hp turbo bomb and don't care much for looks, I'd go for the Accord any time... :D

you want to take insurance and running costs into account to, for a 2.4 NA lump to perform as well as the vRS i'd imagine its going to need to rev pretty high (as most hondas do) so you'll be using more fuel than the octy.

saying that, if the lovely other half hadn't of liked the vRS i'd have looked at the honda as the next option, but it would have been the 2nd choice for me

the gaffa at work has a tdi (dont know what engine size) but he says its a really good car, he was suprised by the handling and it is a pretty car.

for 400 pounds (ish) the Vrs is circa 230 bhp.. would probably cost a shed load more to get the same from the accord, and as someone has allready mentioned, you have 4k (saved over honda) to spend on

.....remap....brakes.....exhaust........suspension...tyres........etc...........now you have a propper quick car :thumbup:

who gives a sh!t what it looks like :confused: although I think the Octy is nice anyway

Honda are pretty much top of the reliability figures. While the internals of the 1.8T engine are pretty strong, there have been quite a few niggly problems with Octavias which must dent its reliability record.

I tend to agree with others who say if you're getting either for a similar price, go for the Honda.

are there any guys that have any experience with honda's? :(

I used to work for a Honda dealership and I've driven the Honda Accord, I loved it to bits and jumped at any chance I had to take it out!! I haven't driven the vRS but I'd love the Accord.

Service is just great with a good Honda Dealership (if you want any advice gimme a shout), plus they are very reliable.

But it all comes down to what makes you feel happy both a good cars in there own right.

My last car was a Civic VTi - 1.6 Vtec, 160bhp at 7800 rpm :thumbup:

5 years, 40k miles, great performance, and not a moment's trouble.... Sorry, I tell a lie, I had a puncture once. Oh, and the ashtray kept needing emptying, until I stopped buying sweets.

Had a chance to sit in the new Accord, and it seems very nicely laid out. I was very tempted, but the Accord is more expensive, and not as quick as the vRS. If they did a Type-R, the decision could have been a little different...maybe next time, but I don't regret getting the vRS

anyone got a picture of the accord type s? does that replace the type r?

IIRC, the Type S is a "luxury" or "executive" trim level verion of the Accord, whereas the Type R was a bit of a "Racy" number.

So now, the Type S doesn't directly replace the Type R.

you want to take insurance and running costs into account to' date=' for a 2.4 NA lump to perform as well as the vRS i'd imagine its going to need to rev pretty high (as most hondas do) so you'll be using more fuel than the octy.

saying that, if the lovely other half hadn't of liked the vRS i'd have looked at the honda as the next option, but it would have been the 2nd choice for me

the gaffa at work has a tdi (dont know what engine size) but he says its a really good car, he was suprised by the handling and it is a pretty car.[/quote']

The 2.4 IVTEC lump in the new accord is more of a high torque creamy power output compared to the "mad" vtecs/ivtec engines.Youll probably find that this one revs comparatively low compared to other hondas.....i think the rev limit is only around the 7000 mark compared to the usual 8500/9000 rpm specials ;).Generally the higher displacement honda engines dont have mad reving abilitys because the displacement is high enough to give good performance and the main reason for making stuff like the integra/civic rev that much is because of the lack of displacement :).The accord will also have much more conservative cam profiles compared to when/or if they produce a type r varient :).Oh yeah,the one exception for having larger displacement/mad revving is of course the NSX ;).

Yours

Dash