I've got a leak somehwere which is causing the drivers side footwell to fill up with water after heavy prolonged rain. Any ideas where it could come from? The carpet is all dry above the level of the water and the door seals in good nick...

:confused:

Had the door card off to check the membrane?

Is there a sunroof for the drains to get blocked or pull out?

Tried checking for leaf mulch in the firewall area where the heater and wiper linkage are?

Odds on it's one of those. Fourth possibility is that you've lost a blanking plug under the floor, if it's only an issue when you're using the car.

Not sure what car you have. In an erstwhile Polo, we had to literally bale out. The garage fired hose water at the windows etc and all OK (door seals etc). Apparently there were grommets(?) in the floor - though how rain can rise upwards was always beyond me. Sorry not much help really :o

Mo

Possibly the windscreen seal too. What car is this on?

The bulkhead is pretty accessible - check that there are no unplugged holes... :)

DAMN beaten to it :rofl:

Just had a better look around. It is not the sunroof.

Under the dash there is a foam layer of insulater tucked up there just above the footwell. This is soaking wet on drivers side so it is either windscreen, though I can't see any evidence of major leakage there. Or it could be wipers, but I keep the engine bay / firewall area clean and clear of gunk.

The windscreen was new 18 months ago but the leak is very recent.

:confused:

Is there at least a drain plug for the footwell so I can drain it out?

Also,

Had the door card off to check the membrane?

what is the door card?

we've had 2 felicias, you will need to replace the windscreen rubber seal.It is a known fault, the rubber hardens over time allowing water to soak the sound proofing under the dash.

Bet it's the windscreen rubber.

Mine was the bottom corners. Chucked some sealer in there and it's been dry ever since. I used an aqua-vac on mine. They suck the water right out including the felt underlay stuff. Then it's plenty of Febreeze for a while.

If you search the forum you'll see that even newly fitted screens have leaked. Halfords do some black windscreen sealer. Put it all the way round, let it dry, then trim the excess. Sorted.

Sounds exactly like our leak - which was the windscreen. We just put a line of clear silicon sealant along the bottom of the windscreen which solved the leak.

Just had a better look around. It is not the sunroof.

Under the dash there is a foam layer of insulater tucked up there just above the footwell. This is soaking wet on drivers side so it is either windscreen, ...

• 4 weeks later...

it will definately be the screen that needs sealing. i have just had to have it done on my fun. if the insulation is wet under the dash on the passenger side check for water in the fuse box as it runs down the wiring and fills it up. i had to remove and dismantle mine as it had shorted and put on the rear screen heater warning lamp. this is what allerted me to the problem as i havent got a rear screen heater

cheers steve