dude. i'm dyslexic as well (yes i did have to copy your spelling of dyslexia) and i dont mind if people have a giggle at my expence cuz i spend half my time pi$$ing myself at my own spellings anyway.

take no notice of loz and the rest, there nice people realy, and they dont bite to hard.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's no shame in being dyslexic. i used to be when i was younger, but i grew out of it kinda.

And I used to stammer terribly when I was young - had the mick taken out of me so many times - went to speech therapy, began to sort of cope with it.

Have learned to work around it. In many ways made a better person as I can sympathise with others who have afflictions - whatever they may be.

So, am totally sympathetic and 'more fool he' who pokes fun at anyone 'different'.

In my case I tend to think 'There but for the Grace of Dog, go I'.

And, was just complaing about Halfords layout and practice - the staff have always been more than willing to help - and, as someone, who worked with the public for 35 years I know when someone is good and helpful.

Halfords are not alone - sloppiness seems to be endemic amongst big companies. My wife used to work for Debenhams - and the stories she told me would make you cringe.

refer to side of the road comment...

you don't make sense

I did refer to it, where you said you spent an hour disconnecting stuff to slide the battery under the strut brace, whereas in reality all you have to do is remove 4 nuts from the strut brace, lift it off, disconnect the battery, turn it sideways and slide it out.

well sadly i do have dyslexia and it would be nice if you stopped talking about it, because its not nice to insult peoples english, wether you like it or not.

No, it's not nice to insult people is it? You, however, insulted me - medicine, taste, own, of. I'm not a nasty person tbh, so maybe you'll think before you speak in the future.

The fact that you are running 6x9's with a sub, prooves you know naff all about car audio.

And lol about running it in off the head unit, you need slapped with a fish

Sorry - but why not run 6x9's and a sub? I'm asking seriously as I do know naff all about stereos!

Cheers

Sorry - but why not run 6x9's and a sub? I'm asking seriously as I do know naff all about stereos!

Cheers

Full range 6x9's are generally seen as the kind of speaker you buy once and then never buy again.

The people that use them tend not to have heard anything better, so have no means to compare them or benchmark them.

There are a few facts about 6x9's, which need to be known:

They attract thieves.

They are incompatible with subwoofers that occupy the same airspace.

They drag the soundstage back, making the majority of the sound come from the rear of the car, which is unnatural, and sounds wrong in a large majority of cases.

They are usually mounted on a very weak baffle (i.e. a flimsy parcel shelf), meaning the sound they produce is not high quality.

They are not an essential ingredient in the ICE scene, despite what your mate Bazza might think.

6x9's that are slung on a parcel shelf, and that have a sub underneath them will not sound good.

The 6x9's will be 'beaten' by the air movement that the sub creates, and this will lead to them producing distorted sound.

Boxed 6x9's on a parcel shelf, although relieving the problem of airspace competition, will drag the soundstage back, making all the sound come from behind you. This has a negative effect on the imaging in the front of the car, and makes the music sound unnatural.

The money spent on 6x9's could be much better spent on a decent set of component speakers for the front end, and if the front end is right, the rear passengers will not need something behind them to enable them to hear the music.

6x9's are aimed at the common spotty irk who knows no better than to sling a pair on his parcel shelf. Don't fall for the marketing hype.

In 99% of cases, 6x9's have a negative effect on the sound as a whole, not a positive one.

Full stop. End of.

i'm running a set of 6x9s in the back of mine. i quite like them.

alot better than the standard speakers. but then, like many people, all i wanted was abit more volum so i can listen to music on the way to work, and not the road/wind noise.

now! please please please can we all try to get along. there are some people on hear that not evan i can abbide by, but i hold my tounge (or typing finger in this case)

Interesting comments on this one - was thinking of changing to 6 x 9's when I next upgrade and get rid of my boom box in the boot - have now change my mind!

By the sounds of what stuart says I might have it sort of right, the front speakers handle most of the sound - whilst the boom box creates the bass

how to set up 6-9's

you create a steath shelve with 6-9's underneeth, and its felted on the top.

Security feature and sound gets through.

use something stronger than your parcel shevel ie. MDF

unless your have a felicia which has a very strong parcel shelve.

2ndly get an estate car!

plenty of space to produce good sound, and have plenty of boot space less.

get an amp,

6-9's are awesome with an amp.

Id also say 6x9's are a gimmic!

Do yourself a favour and spend your money on some nice components and if you really feel the need to cut holes in your parcel shelf just put some ordinary ROUND coxials in :thumbup: like stuart said they dont project the sound very well and so the music always appears to come from the rear of the car, and hence drowning your front speakers out.

you don't make sense

I did refer to it, where you said you spent an hour disconnecting stuff to slide the battery under the strut brace, whereas in reality all you have to do is remove 4 nuts from the strut brace, lift it off, disconnect the battery, turn it sideways and slide it out.

you do realise that the strut brace is the only part in the front-of-battery area that requires a spanner or socket to remove it, and its torqued as well? i tend not to carry a torque wrench in the car, dunno about you.

also, will need to back up 6x9 sentiments. i never have nor ever will buy a set, they are the worst acoustic choice you can make. you are trying to produce steady, even soundwaves. you pick oblong shaped device to create an even sound? this will work. NOT. plus they're generally no better rated than your standard spec 4" door speakers. RMS obviously, as the peak power will easily be 3,050watts on a

you do realise that the strut brace is the only part in the front-of-battery area that requires a spanner or socket to remove it, and its torqued as well? i tend not to carry a torque wrench in the car, dunno about you.

You obviously carry spanners about with you in the car, as you need them to undo the battery, i'm sure anybody would drive home with a strut brace temporarily spannered up if it saves them 50 minutes.

Full range 6x9's are generally seen as the kind of speaker you buy once and then never buy again.

The people that use them tend not to have heard anything better, so have no means to compare them or benchmark them.

There are a few facts about 6x9's, which need to be known:

They attract thieves.

They are incompatible with subwoofers that occupy the same airspace.

They drag the soundstage back, making the majority of the sound come from the rear of the car, which is unnatural, and sounds wrong in a large majority of cases.

They are usually mounted on a very weak baffle (i.e. a flimsy parcel shelf), meaning the sound they produce is not high quality.

They are not an essential ingredient in the ICE scene, despite what your mate Bazza might think.

6x9's that are slung on a parcel shelf, and that have a sub underneath them will not sound good.

The 6x9's will be 'beaten' by the air movement that the sub creates, and this will lead to them producing distorted sound.

Boxed 6x9's on a parcel shelf, although relieving the problem of airspace competition, will drag the soundstage back, making all the sound come from behind you. This has a negative effect on the imaging in the front of the car, and makes the music sound unnatural.

The money spent on 6x9's could be much better spent on a decent set of component speakers for the front end, and if the front end is right, the rear passengers will not need something behind them to enable them to hear the music.

6x9's are aimed at the common spotty irk who knows no better than to sling a pair on his parcel shelf. Don't fall for the marketing hype.

In 99% of cases, 6x9's have a negative effect on the sound as a whole, not a positive one.

Full stop. End of.

OK - firstly, thanks - I think...... Your information, though concise, is a smidge condescending. I am not a spotty 'irk' and the reason I posed the question is because I don't know anything about 'ICE' in cars. I am a very intelligent 33 year old that would like to improve the sound of my stereo as much as I can with as little outlay as possible. To that end I had already purchased myself a set of component speakers for the front of my car - complete with passive crossovers. I was pondering a pair of 6 x 9's but upon your comments here I bow to your superior knowledge (in speakers anyway). I may try to track down a sub of some description for the boot area just to beef up the bass, as 13.5cm speakers aren't all that good at moving air.

I thought that somehow maybe someone with a bit of decent knowledge on the matter may pipe up with something helpful (your little rendering is) but in a nice way - not a p1$$ taking way. Maybe you could write a genuinely useful guide on speakers and ICE in general and people might find it a useful and relevant reference article to refer to in future. If you wish to spend a little time doing this - might I suggest you do it in a non-condescending way? I'm as much of a sarcastic git as the next person, but if someone asks me a genuine question I try to be as helpful as possible but as nice as possible too.

Rant over......

I purchased a trolley jack from them a few years ago, when I went to use it a few days after the purchase it would lift nothing, I went back to the Halfords store and I was surprised with their attitude, it was like the spanish inquisition, all I got was we don't sell faulty products, I got the impression that they didn't want to take it back, but they did eventually, and after a lot of arguments, after all, all I wanted was another one which worked. after that I viewed them in a very different light.

How is this any different from any retail experience in the UK? There seems to be a lack of personal pride in the service industry. When was the last time someone went the extra mile to help you? People just simply don't care any more.

Thats nice, glad to hear it, it is interesting that in the last 4 weeks no one has though.

Wouldn't expect them to have, to be honest - if people did it all the time, it wouldn't be "the extra mile", it would be "the way things are done". :)

Rob.