This is to prove that halfords are rubbish, please add your own stories too!

Halfords said they could fit a battery to my car, then when I went to have it fitted they said they cant do it, its too much work.

Halfords wouldn't replace a set of lights that had no instruction manuel, and were faulty, they eventully replaced them after two heated arguments on seperate occassions.

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a mutant double subwoofer, from halfords.

Yesterday when i finally got it all set up with my amps, I had it running for 30 mins I got back into my town and no bass.

SO i tested the amps they were fine, so i returned the subwoofer to halfords with proof of receipt and they asked to look at it, they tested it on their audio setup.

And yes the subwoofer was faulty it wasn't working at all so instead of saying

"yes its faulty we will replace it" like any normal shop!

they opened it up and tryed to inspect it for damage, (REMEMBER THEY SHARE THE ONE BRAINCELL), the manager asked his collegue to get a stubby phillips from the shelve, they guy looked clueless, then the manager said screwdriver and he ran off to find one, lol.

They fiddled with the sub and eventually got one side working, my dad told them it was possibly dry joints made from manufacture they guy had no idea what we were talking about!

So he asked to see the amps in the car, I showed him and he said that it was unsafe and could cause a firehazzard and that the cable was infieroir.

(you must now know that where i had this done was by a professional who does sound systems and body-kits for a living! and knows what hes doing unlike halfords)

So i put the manager straight and told him that a 600watt power cable running to a power capacitator (he didnt know what that was) then a feed for each amp. and was perfectly capable of handing the watts, volts, oms, etc.

then he said i should have run the speakers in, I did i ran it off the headunit (cd player) on 45 watts for a couple of weeks!

By this time i was fuming smoke was comeing from my ears!

he got annoyed because i insulted his intelligence too much (and was making a scene)

So he did what he should have done in the first place saving him time, and his intelligence, by replaceing the product!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest i wouldn't go into halfords expecting them to know about cars. My problem is more to do with some of their parts and classification which is often inaccurate.

Their tools however are good but way overpriced compared to my local toolshop.

Hi Good old soviet here,

Had a similar thing with useless Dixon's as they called themselves then.

When video recorders first appeared on the scene and weren't the cheap throw away commodities that they sort of are today, I decided to buy my first ever one a week before Christmas.

I agonized over which system to go for i.e. Beta max, or VHS, and of course made the wrong choice and went for Beta Max, which nearly all know became obsolete, with VHS becoming the norm.

Opened the thing Christmas day, and recorded a couple of Christmas shows, Billy Smarts Circus, and the Morcombe and Wise Christmas special. 'Ah' those were the days. Tried playing it back, but there where two lines across the middle of the picture, and so I thought, must be the tape, and so tried recording on another, and playing back had the same problem. Thought will have to take the machine back to Dixon's after Boxing day, as it has a one year guarantee.

Day after Boxing day arrives, and I trundle it back, saying, 'my Beta max has two lines on the replay picture, and I have only had the thing three days, will you exchange it for another?

'Afraid we can't do that sir, but we can send it off for repair, said the 'suited up twalley' behind the counter. I replied, 'it is brand new, and I don't want a repaired thing'.

The twalley said, best we can do for you I am afraid sir. I said, 'I either want a replacement or my money back'.

Twalley replies, already told you that we will send it away for repair. DEADLOCK REACHED.

I was with my fianc

Bought a couple of H3 130w Rally bulbs off them for the Fabia, only to find when coming to fit them a couple of weeks later than one of the bulbs was a standard 55w watt bulb in the wrong packet. Tsk!

B&Q anyone -

Went with neighbour to get marble hearth and backplate (he wanted help because they are heavy).

None of type he wanted in the racks - though one on display.

Asked. 5 mins later someone turned up. Told us the only stock they had was - 'up there' i.e. 20 ft up on a pallet - but they had no drivers available. He went off 'to check'.

10 mins later turned up with another man. Had handed problem over to him.

Man began checking on computer - had problems with PC misbehaving (XP Pro was OS and then B&Q system sat atop). Finally got to where he needed to be.

'Nope - computer's showing 3 - but it lies all the time. None showing locally - we'll have to order them in, you'll have pay now'.

Neighbour friend not too happy in view of the many chipped examples but agreed.

'Print has come out faint, mate. Printer's crap - only good one of the 4 we have is on Building'.

OK - we went to the checkout. I went out for one of those recently banned thingies.

10 mins later my neighbour emerged shaking his head.

Because the printout was so faint the barcode scanner could not read it so all the info had to be entered manually. The till jammed on printout which took 3 attempts to clear and the help of another staff member.

There was no stapler to staple the documents & receipt together which took the assistance of another member.

What a fun afternoon out - and we didn't get what we'd gone for.

Had been told the previous week by someone that the owner was committed to spending

Hi Good old soviet here,

Had a similar thing with useless Dixon's as they called themselves then.

When video recorders first appeared on the scene and weren't the cheap throw away commodities that they sort of are today, I decided to buy my first ever one a week before Christmas.

I agonized over which system to go for i.e. Beta max, or VHS, and of course made the wrong choice and went for Beta Max, which nearly all know became obsolete, with VHS becoming the norm.

Opened the thing Christmas day, and recorded a couple of Christmas shows, Billy Smarts Circus, and the Morcombe and Wise Christmas special. 'Ah' those were the days. Tried playing it back, but there where two lines across the middle of the picture, and so I thought, must be the tape, and so tried recording on another, and playing back had the same problem. Thought will have to take the machine back to Dixon's after Boxing day, as it has a one year guarantee.

Day after Boxing day arrives, and I trundle it back, saying, 'my Beta max has two lines on the replay picture, and I have only had the thing three days, will you exchange it for another?

'Afraid we can't do that sir, but we can send it off for repair, said the 'suited up twalley' behind the counter. I replied, 'it is brand new, and I don't want a repaired thing'.

The twalley said, best we can do for you I am afraid sir. I said, 'I either want a replacement or my money back'.

Twalley replies, already told you that we will send it away for repair. DEADLOCK REACHED.

I was with my fianc

ive had them sell me the wrong brake shoes, not much fun when you have you brake callipers off and just copper greased them to find they dont fit. i did think as i copper greased them "these dont look right" but the guy assured me they were correct. I took them back and was told they were a flagship store and things like this never happen, f--- me i hate to go to their express outlet then, i might end up with bmx brake blocks for my octy :(

Under powering a sub can do just as much damage as overpowering them. Why did the OP run the sub off his 45watt peak headunit as this gives out full frequency music and a sub is only designed to respond to low frequency music! I.e. below 50 MHz

How dare people say that all Halfords staff are useless and idiots! Most of us are students, like myself and work at Halfords to fund university........ I have 11 gcse's at grade c or above, 4 A levels including math

fair enough i agree you are like myself.

I just finished my A levels and i work in a shop, and help as much as i can!

however this manager was generally not trying to help, but to save himself money. I was polite, and explained the situation, and he was a manager so he must have had some decent wages.

actually the customer is right 99.9% of the time!

and since the new one came with a garentee booklet it just proves my suspitions that the one i bought first was already faulty and taken back! since it didnt have one!

this particular store is #@*$

and im sure your store is fine, no offence to you!

(REMEMBER THEY SHARE THE ONE BRAINCELL),

I take offence to that. Thanks

P.S - You can't have that many yourself, go back to school and ask for some English lessons

You cant have that many yourself, go back to school and ask for some english lessons

Please don't stoop to his level Loz :)

Personally, i only use Halfords for polish etc, i've never had a problem with them,

for parts i use a dedicated motor factor.

fair enough i agree you are like myself.

I just finished my A levels and i work in a shop, and help as much as i can!

however this manager was generally not trying to help, but to save himself money. I was polite, and explained the situation, and he was a manager so he must have had some decent wages.

actually the customer is right 99.9% of the time!

and since the new one came with a garentee booklet it just proves my suspitions that the one i bought first was already faulty and taken back! since it didnt have one!

this particular store is #@*$

and im sure your store is fine, no offence to you!

sorry i wasnt having a go, honest ;) its late and i just hate posts that slagg halfords off. I do however agree that if you had come to see me i would have swapped the sub there and then. it makes you as a customer feel much better about your purchase and the store would get full reinbursement if they used their FAGO system properly. Sounds like the manager doesnt understand good customer service, its a shame really as it makes the rest of the stores in uk look bad.

All i was saying is we are not all monkeys and from your last post i now see you understand that, and i thank you. ;)

I used to work there part time and I don't consider myself stupid by any means. Sorry, but poor English is a massive pet hate of mine, there's no need, no need at all :)

poor english,

well im sorry but i think the internet is a place for relaxing to spend spare tme on

and if I want to use crappy english I will.

AND DYSLEXIA IS VERY COMMON SO BEFORE YOU INSULT "BAD ENGLISH" CHOOSE YOUR WORDS WISELY

Also in the previous post about sharing the braincell that was quoted from someone else (im not saying who). In a different forum. - The idea is not totally mine!

thanks for skud missle for understanding previous post!- some people are nice

I've never had any problems but never really used it more than getting a replacement oil filter and other bits and bobs for my old car. Plus it's good for stocking up on oil and cleaning stuff.

I've never had any problems but never really used it more than getting a replacement oil filter and other bits and bobs for my old car. Plus it's good for stocking up on oil and cleaning stuff.

Likewise - they even went the extra mile to make me some Subaru silver metallic spray cans which they "weren't technically allowed to make in store" when I asked them :rofl::thumbup:

Chris