Harnesses vs. belts

I'd think for them to work effectively you'd need to have non-standard seats...

Rob.

I wondered about that, but as I wasn't thinking of harnesses that had crutch straps, I wasn't sure if you could get away with fitting them along with the standard seats.

I'm certainly not changing the seats, thats for sure!

you also need to think about where you are going to fit the mounting bracket for the straps that come over your shoulders from behind.

Normally they need to be secured to something like the mouting bracket for the rear seats, this means you either loose the rear bench or have the straps coming out of the split between the base and back of the rears.

Obviously this is going to have an impact on rear passengers.

If your only going to use them for the occasional journey, i'd spend the cash on something else.

harnesses are great... you can run 4 point with std seats.. but work much better with aftermarket ones... you do need them if running big brakes or you move too much....

Thanks Ffelan. Are they likely to be a complete pain in the 4rse when you're not wearing them? I suspect that they might be, but never having been in a road car fitted with harnesses, I ain't sure ...

Thanks Ffelan. Are they likely to be a complete pain in the 4rse when you're not wearing them? I suspect that they might be, but never having been in a road car fitted with harnesses, I ain't sure ...

replace your seatbelt mount bolts with eyes.. and get harnesses with clips.. you can then fit/ remove them in about 5 mins..

i uses these and mine are in most of the time.

Obviously this is going to have an impact on rear passengers.

They can walk :P

Good point though, I wondered (naively, perhaps) if they could be mounted through the floorpan in the rear footwell. Shopws how much I know ... :o

I remember reading somehere (can't remember) that using a harness with standard seats are very dangerous and could possibly cause more injury in the event of a crash. The seat 'back' can give way due to the fact that they are not desinged to have 'over the shoulder' forces pulling down on them. Most bucket seats are fixed when using harnesses

That said, i used to have them in my subaru, and are very good at holding you in place, providing your not planning to have a 'big incident':(

Still got 2 4 point harnesses gathering dust somewhere.......

The idea of replacing the mounting bolts with eyes seems the way to go ... did you buy your harnesses already made up like this Ffelan? Or did you get them modified?

I haven't seen any like that for sale, although I haven't looked that hard yet.

I wanted them mainly to keep me and Jane more comfortable in the seats when going quickly (& legally, obviously). If I had an accident big enough to rip the backs off the seats, I'm not sure I'd want to be around afterwards anyway ...

demon tweeks 10% off speak to chris green!:D

Ouch! :thumbup:

Get a quote, then talk to someone cheaper ;)

Talking seriously you'd be amazed how much force a small accident generates, so think carefully about those seat backs..... The same problem applies to steel framed 'bucket' seats too, if you're going to "push-on" (at legal speeds) think about replacing your seats made from fibreglass / carbon / composite.

• Administrators
Ouch! :thumbup:

Get a quote' date=' then talk to someone cheaper ;)

Talking seriously you'd be amazed how much force a small accident generates, so think carefully about those seat backs..... The same problem applies to steel framed 'bucket' seats too, if you're going to "push-on" (at legal speeds) think about replacing your seats made from fibreglass / carbon / composite.[/quote']Erik,

I had this chat a while back and concluded that it would be good to change...then the conversation ended with; right must depart to my nice warm house, I replied hehe no problem I have heated seats...penny dropped :(

Don't suppose you can get heated sports seats can you?

• 9 months later...

anyone (ffelan) know of an easy diy fixing for the eye bolts on a 3 point harness?

have one sat in the shed ,brand new,seems a shame not to fit it if i can do it without ripping out carpet or welding.

first idea is the lower seat belt anchor on the drivers side B pillar, then rearward if i can the same again with the rear seat belt anchor bolt.

the tricky one on previous cars was the left hand side strap,there seemed nowhere to fix this with out ruining internal trim.

is the seat belt anchor on the seat accessable to fit an eye bolt?sorry the idea just came to me and its dark,any info or piccies would be gratefully received.

edit:harness only to be used on track so rear seat will be dropped to access rear anchor :thumbup:

As the one that did them in ffelans car.. is a pain to do :D

Inner mount point is the point where the seatbelt bracket bolts to frame - bear in mind this was a race seat on ffelan's not the original... given the stresses involved I would not \ could not recommend it on standard seats.

All carpet \ linings were removed in Paul's and still much skin was removed off knuckles, with interior in place I don't envy you....

If the car was designed for them, harnesses would be much safer, but would people be bothered strapping themselves in? Also all seats other than the driver really should face backwards as this would be safer in most crashes than forward facing seats. Can't see either happening however.

Also all seats other than the driver really should face backwards as this would be safer in most crashes than forward facing seats. Can't see either happening however.

dont think i could travel a long or even short distance facing backwards... motion sickness anyone !!