VRS Cam Belt

Evening/Morning!

My cars approaching 60K and will be 4 yrs old in Dec so I rang the Skoda dealer 'up Hanley duck' for their advice.

They told me 80K or 4 yrs... based on the time of build. Which is consistent with the notes on the reverse of a Skoda service sheet.

They also told me that it would 'roughly cost

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening/Morning!

My cars approaching 60K and will be 4 yrs old in Dec so I rang the Skoda dealer 'up Hanley duck' for their advice.

They told me 80K or 4 yrs... based on the time of build. Which is consistent with the notes on the reverse of a Skoda service sheet.

They also told me that it would 'roughly cost

One small point on where to buy the waterpump, VAG sell this as an "exchange item" - so you get the real thing, and in my case a metal impellar and

Hi Gyp!

I'm a Yorkshireman so its more 'alright love' than 'aye up duck' really! But living between Stafford and Stoke means either the dealer at Cannock or Hanley - hence the regional reference. :)

I like the

Looks like GSF are cheaper then Euro car parts, I take it they weren't VAG parts?

Not VAG-marked parts in a VAG carboard box, no, but I'd be hard pushed to spot the difference, especially as from the markings, the parts appear to have been made by the same people that made the originals.

Not VAG-marked parts in a VAG carboard box, no, but I'd be hard pushed to spot the difference, especially as from the markings, the parts appear to have been made by the same people that made the originals.

GSF and ECP supply OEM quality Parts! ie they are what VW use but bought direct from the suppliers!

I would Highly Recommend either!

• 4 weeks later...
I use a local garage for all my servicing and apparantly its a kit that you order (tensioners etc) but i don't think it includes the water pump.

Parts:

WATER PUMP

If your ordering from european car parts then the fabia vrs isn't listed but just email them and they get back to you normally same day with the parts and price. If you order from Skoda its all classed as a kit and the part number is: 038198119A. That doesn't include the waterpump but I spoke to my local dealer, he checked to see how many they had ordered recently and i think he said they had ordered 1 this year.

Ps. I got my kit from ebay,

Useful info - so it sounds like Skoda aren't replacing waterpumps during a cambelt change? Risky business that I'd say - do they not speak to other parts of the VAG group? ;)

The kits never did include the pump, but I feel it should be an 'advisory' when they're quoting for cambelt changes, to make the customer aware that it's a potential failure point.

Steve

This is one like i got, double check that your engine code is on the list.

VW TDI PD CAMBELT KIT Bora Golf Passat Polo Audi belt on eBay, Volkswagen, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (item 180156685145 end time 05-Oct-07 22:45:14 BST)

Wardy, I think I might get my water pump changed now.............just to be on the safe side!

Can anyone confirm please if i've got all the correct part numbers here as there were a few to choose from. Will wait for confirmation before placing order, cheers :thumbup:

Basket.gifEnd.gifYou have 4 items in your shopping basketPart NumberPart Type DescriptionPriceQtyTotal 325440615TIMING BELT 1.9 TDI (120 TEETH) VARIOUS VAG DIESEL MODELS 98-

As an added note which isn't strictly relevant to the Fabia.

MX5 engines (early ones at least) are "non-interference" so if the belt snaps no damage is done. Are there others? Why not all cars? Or chains?

High compression needed for a diesel engine could not be achieved with a non-interferance design. :)

Not sure on those parts Mac - I've always just got the mechanic/garage to order the actual parts required when I've had cars in for belt/pump change. ECP might be able to advise, if you ring?

Steve

Phoned the guy up at euro car parts and he knew exactly what parts i needed so they should be on their way soon once they've ordered in the special water pump which wasn't in stock. I've copied part of their e-mail below that shows the cost for those who are interested:

Dear Sir ,

Thank you for your enquiry,

The Part/s you require are as follows,

Parts:

WATERPUMP

Amazing! all the parts arrived on Friday, thats two days after i placed the order, even the water pump which they said was out of stock and would be a special order! The thing i am miffed about is that it said on the website carriage charge was