Net in the lower grill of vRS

Hi!

I made a stone protector for my vRS (because on my previous car flying stone broken my AC-radiator).

Milotec solution is expensive and I dont like how it is look. I bought a green plastic garden net for about 3USD per square meter, painted it in black, removed lower grill from my car, drilled holls and inserted a net.

look to pics:

85a8a31a3982c76c84d1f67052ff39de.jpg

2ce574b17c738d2fbecdc98106cb453a.jpg

That is a blindingly good idea; must try it, but perhaps with a smaller mesh.

Why not leave the net Green? Most garden netting is about the same dark green as used on the Skoda WRC cars at present.

• 2 weeks later...

Removed my lower grill this weekend to fit an 'AA' badge and thought I'd try and get a net fitted as well.

Found some galvanised wire mesh designed for pet cages and garden use; various size mesh were available but I got the smallest with 6mm grill. A 90cm x 60cm sheet that will do 4 or 5 vRS grills cost me

Removed my lower grill this weekend to fit an 'AA' badge and thought I'd try and get a net fitted as well.

Found some galvanised wire mesh designed for pet cages and garden use; various size mesh were available but I got the smallest with 6mm grill. A 90cm x 60cm sheet that will do 4 or 5 vRS grills cost me

I don't get the need for the AA badge - :confused: It spoils the look of the entire frontage of the car and just looks wrong IMHO as it goes against the modern look of the coloured grill surround (which looks great by the way).

Don't be offended - just an opinion but then I've got into all sorts of trouble offering an opinion from the Mrs asking me "Does my bum look big in this"! :D

Not my bag either but it would be dull if we all liked the same things.

I don't get the need for the AA badge - :confused: It spoils the look of the entire frontage of the car and just looks wrong IMHO as it goes against the modern look of the coloured grill surround (which looks great by the way).

Don't be offended - just an opinion but then I've got into all sorts of trouble offering an opinion from the Mrs asking me "Does my bum look big in this"! :D

I'm not offended in the slightest - at least it is distinctive. :D

I've been an AA member for more years than I care to say and lament that they do not provide some form of Identity as in the old days. I found the badge in an antique shop on holiday and as I have one of my wife's car thought I ought to have one on my Octy as well. ;)

Thanks for the appreciation of the colour-code grill surround. :thumbup: I might paint the new mesh grill later and am thinking of either black to disguise it, or yellow to make it distinctive and match the background of the AA badge.

i had the same trouble living at the end of a old farm road

so i went for a small mesh and sprayed it green it works really well

i know it looks like it might be solid but its about 5mm x10mm diamond mesh

Looks like you've packed your lower grille with grass turf! Lol...

id paint it black bahnstormer. it sticks out a bit too much from your photo but it might just be the light at the time the photo was taken.

SWMBO said absolutely not Yellow, so better defer to that!

As to black, well maybe, but actually I think it is partly the photo 'cos it is hard to see the mesh as it is at more than 10 paces.

• 9 months later...
Does anyone have a detailed guide of how to remove the lower grills please?

I've already looked at Octavia-vRS.com - Colour Coded Grille but I still can't manage to do it!

How far have you got? or not?

Its a bit tricky, particularly removing the centre grille as it has barbed lugs that catch on the locating eyelet on the bumper; about 6 or 7 top and bottom IIRC. A thin flat screwdriver or blunt knife is ideal to release them. Critically also, you need to remove the outer grilles first as the inboard edge of these overlaps the centre grille.

I have removed and refitted mine twice so far without too much damage!

However; have a look here;- http://milotec.de/media/content/pdf/octaviaII/634xxxx%20-%204-sprachig_07.pdf?XTCsid=88360b786736211d802e93629c703bf3

at the fitting instructions for the milotec replacement; it gives you a reasonable idea as well. do not though destroy the location eyelet (instruction 2 and diagram 3), or else you'll never get you OE grille refitted.

Good luck.

Thanks Guy, I eventually managed to get them off and attached some wire mesh behind. I think it looks pretty good, and functional too :)

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Thanks Guy, I eventually managed to get them off and attached some wire mesh behind. I think it looks pretty good, and functional too :)

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Where did you get that mesh from ? looks good to me.

Where did you get that mesh from ? looks good to me.

B&Q. You can get it cheaper if you search the internet but I wanted it today and didn't want to wait.

That looks pretty good; well done.

The problem I found with my effort (pics earlier in the thread), was that the wire tarnished and could not be got at to be cleaned, plus it did its job stopping stones but I was forever cleaning leaves & cigarette butts out of it!

I took it out and reverted to OE a few weeks ago and am now considering the Milotec version or getting some smart mesh (like yours) and putting it in front of the grille. Hmm.

The problem I found with my effort (pics earlier in the thread), was that the wire tarnished and could not be got at to be cleaned, plus it did its job stopping stones but I was forever cleaning leaves & cigarette butts out of it!

I took it out and reverted to OE a few weeks ago and am now considering the Milotec version or getting some smart mesh (like yours) and putting it in front of the grille. Hmm.

I used Aluminium mesh so it won't rust in the traditional sense but apparently just oxidises which actually then protects the aluminium. This was more by luck than good planning as this only occured to me as a possible problem after I'd fitted it!

Does Aluminum Rust?

Also if you're cleaning stuff off it it means it must be doing its job :)

I'm currently having a grill surround sprayed black too so hopefully that will compliment it aswell.

I'm not a huge fan of the milotec grills but each to his own as I always say. If we all liked the same thing there'd be nothing to discuss :) The problem with the milotec one IMO is that it is a bit to obvious and in your face for my liking. I prefer something a bit more subtle. I chose the mesh for mine as it looked a lot like the sort of mesh used on the lower grill of the Mk4 Golf R32.