Depression

mdk1

is there any alternative remedies as apposed to prosac and seroxat from the doctors? i find the times ive been stuck on these its fine when you on them but when you come off them, weened or straight cut you back to square one.

• 6 months later...

Well i thought it time for an update.

Have been at work for the last 8months with no problems apart from a couple of weeks off with tonsillitis :rolleyes: having them out in October.

I have finally started the job i most wanted to do, which is trunking in an Artic :D

Have been doing it for a week and loving it :thumbup:

Feel really good about myself and what i have achieved, still go for counselling sessions on a monthly basis, but don't feel that i need to go more often.

A big thanks to lynz again for supporting me all the time.

Anyway just a few pic's of my second day out, and where you have to park :eek:

Image004.jpg

Image003.jpg

Image001.jpg

Sorry about pic quality :rolleyes:

What an interesting thread this is... will study the content further later as the massive amount of replies will take some getting through. Depression is more widespread than I realised...

I was diagnosed with severe depression about 4 years ago and have been taking Prozac ever since. This was towards the end of a 5 year spell out of work and the break up of what was a 'complicated relationship'.

About 7 months later I was back in work ( Skoda dealership) and since then, thank goodness things are on the up..... touch wood this will continue....

With depression you cant get VERY down indeed and walking etc cannot address these on their own.

I will continue taking the 'happy pills' if that is what is required to maintain control of things.... There IS a way out even if sometimes you cannot see it....

Thanks for reading,

R

Nice to see things have worked out for you Mike.

I always was one that used to moan about people claiming stress/anxiety/depression as a way to get some time off and skirk until it hit me as well.

You really have no idea until it hits you how black and closed in things seem.

• 8 months later...

Just a quick update,

Things are still going very well, Have even managed to have my "Happy Pills" reduced.

Work is still going great and have got myself a nice little run each Afternoon/Night doing about 2000miles a week.

Don't feel as if there is any pressure on me at all, from anything, even though we are trying to move house at the minute.

I still go for Counselling sessions every 6-7weeks, which is stll helpful.

So, on a whole things are still going up :thumbup:

• 10 months later...

:thumbdown:

Well after everything seeming to be on the up,

This last few weeks have been waring me down, not sure what it is getting to me, but this morning the doctor signed me off for a couple of weeks to try and rest and recover my mental level by getting out and doing more exersice and to try and get my sleep levels back up, as i think i've not been getting good sleep.

Feel glad i managed to feel my mood change and try and sort it before it gets to bad.

Have booked to see my theropist in the morning for a chat.

So just see what happens,

Sorry to hear that :(

I guess relapses, even after a long period of feeling OK, are far from uncommon. Seek strength from your knowledge that it has been possible for you to turn the tide once - then it should be possible to do it again. Maybe a slight change in medication could help.

Lovely spring weather in Kent, or so it seems from the forecast - can't make things worse, I hope, so try to make the best of your time off :thumbup:

You're not alone. I have up days and down weeks too. I've had to come off one type of pill because of my heart issues and I'm taking a different type now. Not sure if I'm imagining it but these new ones don't seem so effective.

Having said that, don't forget that everyone has bad patches from time to time. Just because we're on happy pills, doesn't make us invincible, it just lifts our basic level up a notch or two.

Sorry to hear that :(

I guess relapses, even after a long period of feeling OK, are far from uncommon. Seek strength from your knowledge that it has been possible for you to turn the tide once - then it should be possible to do it again. Maybe a slight change in medication could help.

Lovely spring weather in Kent, or so it seems from the forecast - can't make things worse, I hope, so try to make the best of your time off :thumbup:

Yup, what he said..

I had a bit of a "wibble" in November where I walked out of work and wrote myself off for a couple of days and went to see the Doctors for a chat.

I felt better afterwards and had some time off which made me feel much better.

Chin up mate, be strong ;)

Thanks for the words of support,

Think i just need this time to recharge, have been out in the sun today for a walk and it felt nice and piecefull.

Wish it was as easy as a headache tablet.

Been in the same boat for months now. Initial tablets really effed me up, twitching leg, headache, stomach ache, dizzy and a weird jaw clenching thing. was on them a week and had to come off them over a two week period!!!

Hope you feel better soon Mike.

Sorry to hear this Mike.

Any changes or worries at work? You seemed much happier with your change.

The Chinese whispers have been going round work all about changing our routes and shifts and making them possible longer,

Which i think has got to me alittle more than i thought, Just don't seem to get much time with Lynz and the girls, which i miss.

So i want to try looking for something with more family friendly hours, maybe a new job, just don't know yet.

I feeling more upbeat at the mo, after visiting my councillor yesterday and having a few good nights sleep.

So after another week, i should be up and running again.

So I'm pleased with myself for recognising the symptoms and doing something about it as opposed to ignoring it.

Off for a nice walk in the sun now.

Only just seen this thread, but as a fellow sufferer you have my sympathy and best wishes. :thumbup: When the cloud descends, it's a **** place to be. Very hard to explain to anyone who hasn't experienced it, and the very thought that 'no one understands' is hard to deal with and occurs regularly.

I haven't read every post, so unsure whether it has been mentioned before, but stay away from the demon drink! Alcohol is a depressant itself, and counteracts any medication, even making you feel worse. FWIW I am now on my fourth different med in about a year-now on Efexor & doing good. As has been said, though, just because it works for me doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.

Have a good afternoon mate, mind yourself & take it easy. :yes:

The Chinese whispers have been going round work all about changing our routes and shifts and making them possible longer,

Which i think has got to me alittle more than i thought, Just don't seem to get much time with Lynz and the girls, which i miss.

So i want to try looking for something with more family friendly hours, maybe a new job, just don't know yet.

I feeling more upbeat at the mo, after visiting my councillor yesterday and having a few good nights sleep.

So after another week, i should be up and running again.

So I'm pleased with myself for recognising the symptoms and doing something about it as opposed to ignoring it.

Off for a nice walk in the sun now.

Mike, do you have a dog?? A strange question I know but hear me out. If not, why not get one?? Great companionship, dare I say, stress relief, the kiddies would love it... And you could take it in the cab with you on long journeys.. (with the proper harness for the truck of course) Plus, a great excuse to get out on more walks with Lynz and the girls??

Just an idea.. ;) I'd have one If I could :yes:

It would probably kill me first. Dog and cat hair bring on Asthma attacks, something to do with the spores in there hair get into my lungs and i can't breath. and were not allowed to take pets to work.

It would probably kill me first. Dog and cat hair bring on Asthma attacks, something to do with the spores in there hair get into my lungs and i can't breath. and were not allowed to take pets to work.

Opps!! Sorry mate :S