Depression

mdk1

As some of you know I have been off for the last two weeks with depression.

Have been back to the doctor's today and been signed off for another two weeks, this time I have been givern some "Happy pills" and he wants to see me again in two weeks. The biggest problem I have is I don't know what is causing the depression.:confused: The Doctor seems to think it could be a chemical inbalance in the Brain :eek: and the tablets will sort it out. That seems to make me feel abit scared.

I'm lucky that I have Lynsey's full support and work have said "take as long as you need"

Just felt now I am able to try and start talking about it. Do feel slightly scared about taking "happy pills" but hopefully it is for the best.

If it's full on depression then there will, as I understand it, be an underlying brain chemistry problem. The tablets are there to fix this underlying problem - there is more to curing depression than just taking them but they are a very important part of it.

This is where the "pull your socks up" brigade are often out of order; full-on depression isn't something that can be fixed by taking a brisk walk (though such is never a bad plan).

Best of luck.

sorry to hear that m8..

at least the happy pills are not addictive..

you need to go out & talk to people.

don't stay in the house just compounds the feelings.

stay on here plenty of people were or are in the same boat.

take care.

eddie. :thumbup:

In my (admittedly limited) experience of people suffering depression, the GP always seems a bit too keen to treat the symptoms with pills rather than attack the underlying cause. It's an easy thing for me to say, but if you're not happy with the diagnosis then it might be worth seeking a second opinion or asking to be referred to a psychologist/counsellor who may help you talk things through and identify and treat the underlying problem.

Chris

In my (admittedly limited) experience of people suffering depression, the GP always seems a bit too keen to treat the symptoms with pills rather than attack the underlying cause. It's an easy thing for me to say, but if you're not happy with the diagnosis then it might be worth seeking a second opinion or asking to be referred to a psychologist/counsellor who may help you talk things through and identify and treat the underlying problem.

Chris

From my understanding a chemical imbalance suggest it isn't reactive depression - ie caused by the events around you. Personally I don't see how drugs help with reactive depression because it doesn't solve the reasons behind the depression, just gives you a warm and fluffy feeling by increasing the serotonin levels (ie what is chemically imbalanced)

When I went to my doctor a few months ago with depression I was given a month's prozac perscription and a book written by my GP called ''heads you win tales you win''. Neither was touched, I just tried to get on with things.

Welcome to Planet Wibble!!!!!

Seriously mate, take the time off to just chill out and enjoy being away from work ( and have some retail therapy. first time it happened to me, I brought a Skoda Vrs......:P )

Don't worry about the pills mate, they take a couple of weeks to kick in. You won't feel any different, but more in control of things. If that makes sence.

Be warned though, a certain Mr A N Onymouse keeps bugging me for some tablets, so be aware of dogey PM's!!! :thumbup:

Chris

In my (extensive :(:() experience of being a sufferer of depression for many years, if it is bad enough no amount of therapy/counselling will help - you need anti-depressants as well. Seeing a psychiatrist or therapist will help, but as depression is caused by an imbalance of Seratonin in the brain, you need drugs to correct this.

As many who have read my posts on here will know, I'm a bit of a joker most of the time. Depression is no joke - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. At my lowest 15 years ago I attempted suicide twice. I got sorted out with the help of a very good psychiatrist and a cocktail of anti-depressants.

The black cloud still descends at time. I now recognise the symptoms and head straight for my GP.

Thanks guys, Have already been to see a counceller aswell, have a few more sessions lined up. Have been trying to go out for walks when I can, Have to go and pick the girls up from school each day aswell, which gets me out.

Well stage 1 of not burying your head in the sand is going well!! :thumbup:

Fingers crossed you'll have it managed in no time. :)

All the best mate.

my sympthaties are with you mike, i've suffered from depression on and off for a long time, and as you say, quite often there is no reason for it... i find it's difficult for people to understand what you are feeling when they have never experienced it first hand for themselves, the most annoying question is "are you ok?" because the answer is allways no, and it's not what people want to hear.. the thing i find when i get depressed is that i become reclusive and dont want to be around people, night times are the worst, lying there wide awake with loads of time to think about stuff.... please dont ever feel that nobody can ever help you, there's allways sombody who would gladly spend a few hours listening. i also found that starting a hobby or a project helps a lot too, kinda takes your mind off stuff for a while

The Very Fact that you are on the site "talking about it " is a very good sign . The problem that you don't understand what has been the "trigger" could be sorted by a therapist.

Sometimes we cannot see whats in front of us when "the black Dog " descends.

I wish you well (and know what it's like mate ) . Its very easy for people who have no experience of depression to POO POO it , but it can take you to some very dark places.

Keep positive , and keep posting .

Regards,

Bob. :thumbup:

While I'm on a pretty good high at the moment, I have had an ex that was on the pills for a pretty long time. I agree that some doctors are all to happy to dish them out, but in other cases it is better to dish them out then help a person than to run the risk of them doing something bad to themselves.

Over time they are addictive and one of the leaflets even warned of this. Another side effect that was quite worrying at first was that they tend to flat line your emotions. Eg while there are no lows there are no real highs either.

Hopefully you will feel a bit happier soon Mike, identify what is the cause of this and how you can deal with it.

I've wanted to start a thread like this for ages as I'm feeling pretty glum all the time now... I held back in case people took the mick.

I don't think what I've been going through is anything near as bad as yours but I'll just say I'm having problems at work and issues at home which have all come at once.

Fortunately my girlfiend... though very worried about me... has been very suportive. :)

I'm glad you're seeing somebody about it... personally I'd find it iritating if somebody disected my life... hence the reason I'm not.

Hope you feel better soon :thumbup:

One thing that's worth bearing in mind if you are put on pills is that different anti-depressants work differently for different people. I was started on Seroxat - it didn't work to the extent that I attempted to take a walk in the Atlantic Ocean.

I was then put on Efexor - it worked.

I always feel compelled or a sense of duty to reply to threads like this. People that give advice mean well, there is no doubt about that. But, depression for one person is not the same for another and so different meds are prescribed after matching them to symptoms experienced.

Different levels of depression also require different approaches. Don't poo poo the walking, even though it's 'prescribed' for mild depression any kind of increase in endorphines will be better than none. Clearly, you are suffering more than mild depression as your GP has prescribed anti-depressants. If you do go back and ask to see a Cognitive behavioural therapist I wish you luck. The waiting list will more than likely be a long one. What you can do in the mean time is go through the motions of your normal routine, some of these you may feel are harder to do right now but stick at it all the same. Make plans for some meaningful activity and have a goal for the day. Get yourself a self-help book that looks at using a CBT approach to living with depression.

Excercise and eat well, try and maintain a good sleep pattern as hard as it may be. Most of all, do not stop the medication on your own. Fair enough you've only just started but it will take a couple of weeks for a difference to be felt. Your GP may have started you on a lower dose and may want to assess you before an increase. If ever you feel like you no longer want to take it then stop then under guidance or you could be making a rod for your own back (rebound symptoms).

Most of all, try not to give up hope. It's hard but there are many things for you to tap into that can help. x

well I don't know anything about meds for depression, but I was given tetrabenazine to try and control my "twitch", and that messes with Seratonin levels, neuro receptors, and other chemical balances.... I was told to take half a tablet a day, and that I could take up to two tablets a day until some effeect was noticed, and I was WARNED that they could cause depression... (so I suppose working in the opposite way to how they should work for you..)

I only took the smallest dose for 2 weeks and then stopped, although they did reduce the 'tick' I felt like I was going psycho...... I was hallucinating.... I couldn't tell the difference between dreams and reality.... was getting very confused (and other things I'll not mention) and that was the smallest dose... I stopped, and everything went back to normal (Including the twitch) ...

BUT thats just my experiance of messing with the brain chemicals, as Pixi said, I'm sure all your symptoms will have been taken into account, and tests done ect, it IS different for everyone....

all the best Mike, keep us updated.... and don't let my words scare you off the meds! as others have said, you have the support of us on here :)

I've wanted to start a thread like this for ages as I'm feeling pretty glum all the time now... I held back in case people took the mick.

I don't think what I've been going through is anything near as bad as yours but I'll just say I'm having problems at work and issues at home which have all come at once.

Fortunately my girlfiend... though very worried about me... has been very suportive. :)

I'm glad you're seeing somebody about it... personally I'd find it iritating if somebody disected my life... hence the reason I'm not.

Hope you feel better soon :thumbup:

Eeh up soft lad!! When it comes to the health and well being of our members, all of us Briskodians will never take the P................................well, with the odd exeption, eh Anonymouse????? :thumbup: :P ;):D

I was then put on Efexor - it worked.

They sent me a bit funny, and that was on the lowest dose.

I'm still on 20mg Amitriptyline (sp?) a night, which seems to work. More than this does sends me sleepy, and means I'll seriously miss the morning alarm!