A Bit of Fun

TaviaRS

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ColinD

John,

Who are your insurers? As soon as you mention "track" in any guise DL just say no. Shame as Driver training in my view is a proactive reduction of risk.

I am insured through Frizzell's, they contacted the underwritter a couple of times with answers to a number of questions the details of what the event was. I mentioned all the tracks e.g castle combe racing circuit etc etc. and exactly what the event was described as. The operator even mentioned the word performace during our conversation that it was ok as long as it wasn't timed or any racing was involved. Obviously when I take part I will be very careful not to put myself or car at unessesary risk.

• Administrators

If anybody wants to passenger on thsi event, please let me know (07900 826101) as I am filling the form out now. Although I'm farly sure a last minute change can be made. I'll be stopping in cradley heath (brum) the night before and driving down that morning so pick ups / shares can be made at any point in that route I guess.

Let me know.

I asked the organiser the following questions and got a very prompt response that was a good sign of the organisation:-

1. Will there be a briefing at each of the venues regarding safety/driving tips/line etc?.

2. How may cars do you expect on the tracks at South Cerney/Castle Combe at the same time?

3. Are the venues open for Spectators especially South Cerney and Castle Combe.

Response ....

Glad you are looking forward to it. We did the final run of the route yesterday and all is looking good.

As cars are running at one minute intervals, it is difficult to have a group briefing before each venue. We therefore include very detailed information in the route book, which we ask people to read carfully. In addition, each start marshal at each venue is well briefed and will provide any additional information.

At all venues, exept Castle Combe, cars will start at 30 second intervals, therefore there should be little or no overtaking on any of the tracks. With this in mind, there is likely to be only four cars somewhere on track at South Cerney. At Castle Combe we are allowed 10 cars on the track at any one time.

Other than at Prescott and Castle Combe, where there are specific areas, we do not encourage spectators. However, it will be possible at the other venues, but only after consultation with the marshals.

I hope this answers your queries. Look forward to seeing you next Sunday.

Best regards

Simon

OK, Time to clarify whos going in what car (thats if you want too) suggest you just take our listing below, copy & paste it into your post & add your details

Stuart, Wendy & Owen (11 years young) - Octavia 4x4 - Silver

Questions re the weekend

1. Havent got my pack yet, what time does it start & where is it (nearest town)

2. Do the clocks change Saturday night (get up 1 hour earlier)

3. The plate we are "meant" to put on the car, anyone seen one yet, any ideas on mounting it, can it

simply be placed on the dashboard inside the windscreen, I dont fancy atatching it to the grill with

cable ties as has been suggested & I dont know if double sidede tape will be good enough as the

car is now well waxed.

Stuart

Ain't got my pack yet.

Yep, clocks change

Nearest town is Cheltenham. Have a look at the link on the first page, it has details of the sites being visited. Click on the link to the Prescott website and there is a location map on there.

As for times, first car is at 9:15 at you need to be there 45 mins before your run, so earliest (assuming you are car 1) is 0830

I have a bit of a problem, I'm in Gloucester the night before but my co-driver isn't. He'd like a friend to follow us round all the venues in his car to avoid leaving it somewhere. If anyone speaks to Simon before I do, could they ask if its OK. We can use his car for carting stuff around that we don't want to carry when on track (eg the amp that Des is bringing for me :D and maybe some tyres that I might be getting for Des).

I'll be bringing a video mount with me if anyone wants to borrow one, Gossy might bring his as well and I know Colin will have one (so we'll have 3 between the 5 of us).

Looking forward to it.

Jon

:D

• Administrators

Nick,

Yes I have room as Ian is doing the scooby Dales run. PM me if you a ride, we can arrange met point/drop off etc...I'll be setting off from Cradley Heath(CH) area jn 3 M5 for Prescott jn9 M5, I'll aim for arrival at 8:30 or before, estimating an hour from CH. but of course pick up/drop can be anywhere convient during the day.

Originally posted by TaviaRS

Ain't got my pack yet.

Yep, clocks change

Nearest town is Cheltenham. Have a look at the link on the first page, it has details of the sites being visited. Click on the link to the Prescott website and there is a location map on there.

As for times, first car is at 9:15 at you need to be there 45 mins before your run, so earliest (assuming you are car 1) is 0830

I have a bit of a problem, I'm in Gloucester the night before but my co-driver isn't. He'd like a friend to follow us round all the venues in his car to avoid leaving it somewhere. If anyone speaks to Simon before I do, could they ask if its OK. We can use his car for carting stuff around that we don't want to carry when on track (eg the amp that Des is bringing for me :D and maybe some tyres that I might be getting for Des).

I'll be bringing a video mount with me if anyone wants to borrow one, Gossy might bring his as well and I know Colin will have one (so we'll have 3 between the 5 of us).

Looking forward to it.

Jon

:D

Jon

If it helps your friend can leave his car at my house at South Cerney that is at venue no2 we can drive to my house 5 mins away where your mates car can be garaged if desired. Also you are welcome to dump your stuff at my house if reqd and pick up afterwards. Give me a pm or call my mob no (no in a PM to you)

John

Oh well looks like I have a spare seat once more. So if any one fancies a ride out on sunday and can put up with my driving nows your chance, you have been warned. :D

PS I am in kent so any one in Kent or on route will be most welcome.

:cheers:

Yep got pack today.

Come in no 62,65 and 66 your tiimes up.................

I am no 61

Jon is no 62

Des is no 65

Stuart is no 66

The running order and numbering is based on car year, the sheet shows a total of 67 cars , the oldest being a 1954 MG Magnette ZA.

My start time is 10:45 at Prescott so the others can be worked out at 2 min intervals.

The car plate is made of a soft plastic with holes for cable ties and the self adhesive side numbers are about 4" tall. I would think the plate and the numbers could if wished be placed in the front and side windows as long as they are visible to the judges etc.

John - Driver

Val - Co Driver

John

John, may take you up on that offer!

Des, may have a passenger for you (if the guy who was going to drive Gossy's car round fancys being a passenger)

We will get this sorted (honest!)

TaviaRS - Driver

Gossythevaleter - co-driver

Having briefly read the pack it would appear that lunch stops will be suggested on the day, Would be kind of nice if we all plumped for the same one & then we can put more faces to names. As our numbers appear to be close & cars are of a similar age I guess we will be running close together. Any thoughts on how we organise it, do we all agree to meet slightly "SLIGHTLY" earlier at the start. or is it a case of swapping mobile numbers before the weekend

Also please clear my confusion, ColinD appears to be entered but Colin does not appear in Spopans list so is colind actually des

• Administrators

Stuart,

I can see your confusion, it's because I am a late entry, thus I assume I'll be 67+

Meeting earlier is a possibility, I plan to be there (assuming it's not tipping it down) to be there quite early to watch the earlier vehicles. It would be nice if you could get to each venue and then they start the sequence. That said (as I said to Nick) I suspect some of the "between" venues will be covered quite quickly so we should be able to catch the action.

John, do you see mention of requirments in the pack, eg helmet (gold star req?), copy of insurance, liscense etc...

John,

We would love to take you up on your offer of a place to stash Gossy's car.

Ian Sadler will be in with Des as his co-driver. All we need to do now is work out how to meet up.

Anyone any ideas? Ideally we'd like to drop Gossy's car off before going to Prescott, so its a question of do you mind if we (me in mine, Gossy in his and possibly Des in his) pile round to yours and all leave for Prescott together? If so, what sort of time?

I'll give you a bell tomorrow anyway John.

John,

Cheeky question but is there room for another car outside your house or near? I live in Wootton Bassett - am meeting Colin at Prescott to passenger with him but need somewhere convenient for a drop off later in the day - already planned it to be in the vicinity of South Cerney so he can jump on the A417 to go home. So wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak?

Re the previous post - where are you all coming from - can I give anybody a lift to Prescott?

I'm in Gloucester on Saturday night

Gossy and Ian Sadler are in High Wycombe

Des is in Chatham

Stuart is Winchester way

John is South Cerney

Colin will be coming down from Manchester

Think that's it :D

Originally posted by ncarring

John,

Cheeky question but is there room for another car outside your house or near? I live in Wootton Bassett - am meeting Colin at Prescott to passenger with him but need somewhere convenient for a drop off later in the day - already planned it to be in the vicinity of South Cerney so he can jump on the A417 to go home. So wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak?

Re the previous post - where are you all coming from - can I give anybody a lift to Prescott?

Not problem at all, can park off road at my house, can sort out at Prescott or before.

John

Jon,

Thats fine no problems with starting from mine/parking cars. It will be easy for Des to leave the M4 at Swindon and go via the A419 towards Cirencester my place is easy can pm details once sorted. I am driving to Precott tonight so will have an idea how long it takes from mine. I intended leaving earlyish to watch some of the cars start.

John

Originally posted by ColinD

Stuart,

I can see your confusion, it's because I am a late entry, thus I assume I'll be 67+

Meeting earlier is a possibility, I plan to be there (assuming it's not tipping it down) to be there quite early to watch the earlier vehicles. It would be nice if you could get to each venue and then they start the sequence. That said (as I said to Nick) I suspect some of the "between" venues will be covered quite quickly so we should be able to catch the action.

John, do you see mention of requirments in the pack, eg helmet (gold star req?), copy of insurance, liscense etc...

Helmets required at Castle Combe for open tops - available at track from driving school

Car must be taxed

Mot cert if applicable

Driving Licence required

Insurance doc advised to bring

Reistration book - advised to bring

John