A Bit of Fun

TaviaRS

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had a lot of fun!

First up was Prescott, home of the Bugatti Owners Club. What a lovely little hill climb, I loved the uphill hairpin and I'm sure Gossy loved the view over the drop. Did enjoy this one. First run was OK, second one was quicker even though dropping the clutch at 5,000 rpm is not to be recommended.

A gentle cross country rout then followed, nice views and quite a pleasant little road.

Next venue was South Cerney airfield. This was quite rough and the bends were very deceptive. You just didn't know where the road was going to go. First run was "reasonably" gentle, second one had a little bit of lunacy about it, along with a heart stopping moment on catching the Cerbera. He couldn't decide which way to go when we caught him (they were at 30 second intervals) so pulled across in front of us and hit the brakes. Thought I'd squared a wheel as I locked the front wheels and hit a pot hole. Then, being a bit cheeky, I found the marshall who'd expressed interest in the RS and blagged another lap on the pretext of showing him what it could do. Must say I love driving a car on loose surfaces, its good to get all 4 wheels going sideways at 80+ mph :D

Time for another cross country drive. What a lovely road! Would be nice if there was no traffic about, you could have so much fun. This 45 mile route took us to our 3rd venue.

Oh how we enjoyed this one! Not sure how much the start marshall appreciated my start. Unfortunately on the first run, about 75 deer decided to run across the track, this meant we had to stop to let them cross. We then pottered through the rest of the stage.

Time for food - bit dubious about those burgers.

Time for our second run. This one was better, even though we had ballast for this run. Sorry about the bumps to the head Ian, bet you're glad you had a helmet on :D

It was decided that for the road section we wouldn't follow the pretty route as laid out in the road book, so we went direct to the 4th venue at Hullavingdon.

Gossy and I enjoyed this one. Nice and open and quite fast. Unfortunately on our second lap we were held up (for about 5 seconds :D ) when a Bedford 4.5 tonner pulled on to the circuit in front of us. We good naturedly complained to the finish line marshall who told us we'd better have a 3rd run then, it would have been rude not to!

A quick trip over to Castle Combe for our 6 laps was short and uneventful. On signing on for our laps, I asked the lovely Cheryl if she had been out. Well, she had but only very briefly, so being a gentleman ;) I offered to take her out for a couple of laps. So Gossy and I went out for 4 laps and then came in so I could take Cheryl out for my remaining 2 laps.

20 miles round Castle Combe later, we got a chequered flag.

We had such a laugh, drifting sideways towards and through the chicanes, sideways round corners and just generally having a laugh. Not smooth, not fast but jolly good fun! Having said that, we didn't get overtaken.

I'd like to congratulate Des and Ian for winning there plates at Castle Combe, for best driver and co-driver. Also, many thanks to Wendy for being such a good navigator, most impressed.

It was nice to see you all again, hopefully we'll have another meet like that one.

Oh, and my new avatar is dedicated to Wendy!

It certainly was a great day. I had a fantastic ride with Colin (thanks Colin) who showed what an estate car can do against the VRSs, and met some great folks. Thanks for the welcome and the taxi rides John S. Well done Des!! Looking forward to the next one......

:D:D:D

Thanks everybody for such a fun day out. :D

Great day out and it even made me reappraise my opionion of Skodas :D

Des a great drive and, of course, a great win :cheers: even if we nearly didn't make it past the 1st stage :shocked:

Thanks to John for the loan of the parking & Jon for getting me a seat :drive:

Nice one chaps.

Ian

Originally posted by TaviaRS in this post

Glad you had a good day Ian and Nick. :D

Fancy driving next time?

Yes but....

There's always that nagging doubt about what happens if I write the car off, plus the "will I be good enough" and "will my car fall off the road" (in my case - really must wear these tyres out and get some better ones ....) Just lame excuses, I know :D

RPM Spring Tour Motorsport Experience

Well that can I say

Start. Prescott Hill Climb

Speed Hill Climb (2 runs)

Wheel spins, narrow track, compressions, hairpins oh and a last bend to end all, a little thing they call the Semi-circle, hmm. Nearing the end of the climb my now hanging on for grim death co- driver had a bout of

Below is a reply I recd from Simon following my "thank you" e-mail. Intermarque challenge anybody !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Stuart

Many thanks for that. It's great to get feedback - especially when it's good!

I'm delighted you enjoyed the day. We enjoyed organising it - I think!

I'll let you have the date in the next couple of weeks for the Autumn tour. Our aim is to run four of five of these events next year and encourage more one-make clubs to join in. We could then have an intermarque challenge!

Thanks for spreading the good word as well and I'll be in touch soon.

Best regards

Simon

oh my god all i can say is where do i sign up for the next one

That had to be one of the best organised evnets i have been on The cars, the people, the venues it was brilliant

However more track time would have been nice however for a dayout it was FUN FUN FUN

Many thanks to the briskoda 5 for making myself and ian welcome

Just now need to make sure the car will be ready for the next one

Video clips of Jon and Des in action at the Weekend.

Warning they are between 4 and 7.7 meg each, right click on link and then save as to your local drive.

Jon at Halavington start

http://www.briskoda.net/members/stopan1j/motorsport_experience/Mov00377.mpg

Des at Halavington start

http://www.briskoda.net/members/stopan1j/motorsport_experience/Mov00378.mpg

Jon at Halavington finish

http://www.briskoda.net/members/stopan1j/motorsport_experience/Mov00380.mpg

Des at Halavington finish

http://www.briskoda.net/members/stopan1j/motorsport_experience/Mov00381.mpg