Skoda Felicia Headlight Adjustment

A common problem with the Skoda Felicia is the loss of the internal adjustment on the headlight system and the aim being too low with insufficient adjustment on the thumbwheels to correct this leading to an MOT fail.

This is caused by the loss of hydraulic fluid from the headlight adjustment system which can only be remedied with the replacement of the whole system.

An alternative to this is to alter the adjustment mechanism so that the thumbwheels adjusters can be used. The headlights can then be adjusted using the thumbwheels which are fitted to the top of each side of the headlight unit. The outer ones alters the headlight beam vertical aim and the inner ones the horizontal aim.

The photo shows the back of the left hand headlight and the various adjusters. The right hand side is a mirror of this although to gain access you will need to unclip and remove the top of the air filter.

Pic1.jpg

The next photo shows the adjuster mechanism removed. It is held in place by a bayonet style clip so simply twist and pull out of the headlight to remove. To allow more adjustment on the thumbwheels the nut need to extend further form the adjuster.

Pic2.jpg

If you simply try to unscrew the nut it may turn the internal of the adjuster at the same time. To prevent this pull the nut in one hand while holding the adjuster in the other. You may need to grip the nut with pliers to do this. Then with your third hand clamp the plastic with another set of pliers. You can now simply unscrew the nut. Once you have unscrewed it put the adjuster back in the headlight and see if the adjustment is within range. If not simply remove and unscrew the screw a little more.

Pic3.jpg

Thanks to Ross (lummox) who originally posted this.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest masster

can somebody post the schematic of the hydraulic beam adjustment system?

I need to see where the pressure is coming from, how the inside rotating knob alters that pressure, and so on.

• 1 month later...
Guest masster

I believe that with a little ingenuity, the whole system could be switched to electronic.

I'm thinking of fitting a potentiometer on the axis of dip beam switch, 2 step-by-step motors with helical gear from a printer, and a controller should do the trick.

on the other hand, there are so many drivers on the road at night using illegal xenon beams with no clear lenses... (you know, those fitting plastic fake GPS antennas on the roof)

Lol, I suspect a proper translation would be helpful for everyone. I just kinda guessed from the pictures ;) ;)

Edited by RainbowFore

Guest masster

damn... although I'm a member of that czech forum for some time, I didn't see that article.

but I'm glad my idea was similar.

I believe that if Skury has some spare time, he could translate for us the most interesting DIY articles for repairing or modernizing our beloved cars.

I, for instance, I'm looking for 2 things:

1) where to buy clear lenses and a reliable and compatible xenon installation for felicia (maybe fitting also a headlight washing system)

2) where to buy a new Jikov 28-30 LEKR carburetor without having to sell my left kidney.

Absolutely nothing to do with the op but if you follow the Felicia club link you find this

http://feliciaklub.c...&t=8255#p185568

Some very pretty ladies in the Czech Rep, and a gorgeous comment from one lad

"I finally found a lady with which I would like to live life .."

....pretty ladies, yes. but...............no pix of Daisy there. :( :(

(Maybe you could start a UK section Daisy ;) ;) )

;) ;)

Lol, I suspect a proper translation would be helpful for everyone. I just kinda guessed from the pictures ;) ;)

No problem, i'll translate it tomorrow.

I, for instance, I'm looking for 2 things:

1) where to buy clear lenses and a reliable and compatible xenon installation for felicia (maybe fitting also a headlight washing system)

2) where to buy a new Jikov 28-30 LEKR carburetor without having to sell my left kidney.

Old face of facelift Felicia?

You have several options...

OLD FACE - lights from Polo 6n2

6067_2009-11-09_20-26-22_51.jpg

NEW FACE - lights from Vectra B

3548_2008-04-01_19-57-03_26.jpg

3548_2008-04-01_19-59-11_10.jpg

Or clear covers and homemade lights - lences from other car (Porsche, VW/Skoda...)

1975_2007-11-24_12-07-30_95.jpg

1975_2007-11-24_12-09-07_49.jpg

5847_2010-10-03_19-29-57_85.jpg

6880_2011-08-25_13-45-26_1.jpg

4798_2012-04-02_12-14-43_8.jpg

• Love it! 1

Guest masster

wow... you blew my mind with that Polo 6n2 photo :thumbup:

it looks AWESOME!

now I am a little closer to my goal: see better in the dark with a proper HID lamp kit.

thank you again. you can help us a lot, being from Czech R., the country that made our beloved cars.

Electric headlight adjustment

What you need:

contoller switch from Octavia/Fabia

switch holder

2x servomotors from Octavia

wires+connectors

2x screws M4x25 with spherical head

Tools:

pliers

sharp knife

electric drill + bit 3,2mm

screw-tap 4mm

How to do it:

1) Completely removing hydraulic adjustment

2) Cut off the outer rings on headlights (hold the hydraulic adjustment) for inserting servomotors.

3) Servo shaft must be extended by about 15mm, so it creates the thread and set screw.

r_naklapeni_svetel_2.jpgr_naklapeni_svetel_3.jpg

4) Power wiring is brought out of the parking lights. +12V on the left wire is light green/black, right on the light green/red earth "31" on both sides (brown color). Third on the servo connector marked "G" is a signal from the switch controller. Power control switch is connected to +12V - lights gray/green and brown is earth.

Instrument light dimmer connects to the gray/green (No. 3) on yellow terminal in the dashboard.

r_naklapeni_svetel_4.gif

r_naklapeni_svetel_1.jpgr_naklapeni_svetel_6.jpgr_naklapeni_svetel_5.jpg

I hope i help you... :whew:

• Like 1

Guest masster

excellent job!

I am also impressed about how well those Polo headlights fit with only some minor filling.

one more question: direction indicator lamps are also from Polo ? they fit too perfect.

On orange Felicia they aren't from Polo, they are from Felicia. If you want clear indicators from Polo, you have to modify the fenders.

felicia-paul-14.jpg