aftermarket airfilter

I think you might be surprised as to the difference a decent replacement panel filter makes. Although we have not quantified it on a rolling road with before and after outputs we have done a before and after with a K&N panel filter and a EVOMS Ram Air Intake. The EVOMS showed approximately a 10bhp gain over the K&N (which in itself is surprising) but over a standard car with OEM panel we think there is a 15bhp gain with the EVOM's meaning that the K&N will give approximately 5bhp.

All this is purely on the basis of many RR tests that have been carried out in the past and cannot be taken as an exact science but I do think you will see an immediate benefit in replacing the OEM panel filter with a K&N or something similar such as the Pipecross one mentioned previously.

I think you might be surprised as to the difference a decent replacement panel filter makes. Although we have not quantified it on a rolling road with before and after outputs we have done a before and after with a K&N panel filter and a EVOMS Ram Air Intake. The EVOMS showed approximately a 10bhp gain over the K&N (which in itself is surprising) but over a standard car with OEM panel we think there is a 15bhp gain with the EVOM's meaning that the K&N will give approximately 5bhp.

All this is purely on the basis of many RR tests that have been carried out in the past and cannot be taken as an exact science but I do think you will see an immediate benefit in replacing the OEM panel filter with a K&N or something similar such as the Pipecross one mentioned previously.

I'm not sure I would notice the extra 5bhp to be honest Steve :rofl:

I'm not sure I would notice the extra 5bhp to be honest Steve :rofl:

It might also alter the torque curve a little, hopefully in the right places, so not so much the actual bhp figure but more to do with the engine being able to work more efficiently when required that gives the 'power' gains. Think of a runner not being able to breathe when he needs to....

My FTO has nothing more than air mods and the torque curve and power figures were quite different on the same rolling road before and after. Much smoother with less obvious peaks.

Regards

Mark

I'm using a K&N induction kit on my vRS TDI; power/torque increase has not been measured but it seems to give a better response.

I did a lot of research on this and other forums before buying and found that the K&N gives one of the best filtration results of all filters available; certainly better than any foam filter with 'power gains' there with the best.

Best results will be got with a full induction kit of course, over a replacement panel filter, and for this the EVOMS system is, from what I have read, the best (and perhaps the most expensive) for the Octy TFSI.

I've driven a car with a panel filter for some time and then put the stock back in - It certainly does make a differance.

My car still has the OEM filter in :rolleyes: - I do notice that it seems to 'run out of breath' higher up the revs.

And what about diesel? Is there any improvement we can do on 2.0 TDi 140bhp?

One more question: Is there any aftermarket filter but just a filter to change, without changing whole kit?

Thanks for any information.

One more question: Is there any aftermarket filter but just a filter to change, without changing whole kit?

I'd like to know this too ;)

K&N do a panel filter to replace the OEM filter deteails here;- http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2865

OR an Induction Kit that can be used on all 2.0L TDI engined Octavia (105, 140 and 170pd) details here;- http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0618

and here is a picture of the induction kit fitted to my vRS;-

bahnstormervrs025.jpg

Does this help?

You tell us :D

Nice job Guy, how does it perform?

Not put it on a Rolling Road so hard to say, but throttle response does seem sharper and beefier plus there is a degree more intake roar at full throttle and a fair amount of hissing and whooshing at light/part throttle. :D;)

It does produce a 'flat-spot' around town from time to time but I put this down to a build up of warm under bonnet air (there is a coolant pipe from the radiator that sits pretty close to the filter) confusing the ECU a bit; anything 1/3rd throttle or more no problem at all.

Overall - it is at least as good as the OEM setup and ought to be better; hopefully there will be a JabbaSport Rolling Road day sometime next year that I'll try to get to check the ponies being produced.

I run a Pipercross filter on my PD140 - got it from Awesome - simple to fit and comes un-oiled so doesn't pollute the sensors. Certainly seems to make the motor a bit smoother though I can not quantify any performance gains

Not put it on a Rolling Road so hard to say, but throttle response does seem sharper and beefier plus there is a degree more intake roar at full throttle and a fair amount of hissing and whooshing at light/part throttle. :D;)

It does produce a 'flat-spot' around town from time to time but I put this down to a build up of warm under bonnet air (there is a coolant pipe from the radiator that sits pretty close to the filter) confusing the ECU a bit; anything 1/3rd throttle or more no problem at all.

Overall - it is at least as good as the OEM setup and ought to be better; hopefully there will be a JabbaSport Rolling Road day sometime next year that I'll try to get to check the ponies being produced.

I've got the exact same setup on my 140 and there is an occasional cough at lower speeds and the 2.5k part throttle stutter is more pronounced. You get a nice whoosh if you lift off after loading up the turbocharger ;) and the general turbo noises as a whole are a fair amount louder :D

I have however got something reverberating under the bonnet when the engine is under load and this is made worse by the filter kit, still trying to isolate it :(

But overall the car seems more "perky" and there appears to be less smoke from the exhaust when poked with a sharp stick.

I have a carbonio intake and replacement panel filter on my Tfsi.

Dont know if it does anything performance wise, but it looks nice anyway :D

vrs5.jpg

Now that I do like! :thumbup:

Is it exclusive to the T-FSI or can an oil burner host it as well?

I have a carbonio intake and replacement panel filter on my Tfsi.

Dont know if it does anything performance wise, but it looks nice anyway :D

vrs5.jpg

It looks good but I'm not sure how much difference it would make over the standard intake, - it's only a bit bigger. I'd expect to see a little bit of performance improvement for 165 quid...

Regarding induction kits, a lot of people say that they don't enhance performance and if anything degrade it because it is sucking in warm air from the engine bay as opposed to cold air from outside. Also the induction cone isn't having air forced through it as with a normal intake.

@ jonno

Thats why the EVOMS is the best TFSi intake I have seen (and used to great effect :D) as it has a heat shield that protects the intake pipe and also a sealed "bucket" that the filter sits in, so when the bonnet is closed the cool air is coming in through the standard intake opening and is then gulped up through the filter. It's this that set's the EVOMS apart from the Neuspeed / Injen / Forge intakes imho and the figures do stack up on a dyno.

The Carbonio does work, when I went with makefish to Revo HQ for the day we could see that the carbonio I had fitted at the time was helping the motor breath higher up and the guys at WRC were quite surprised by it.

I'd expect to see a little bit of performance improvement for 165 quid...

Im not sure if it does anything tbh, and only a RR before and after would show that.

Luckily I got it off a fellow briskodian for £100 and it was nearly new :thumbup:

As for will it go on a diesel, Im not sure, maybe someone else can answer that one. I suppose it depends where the air scoop is on those engines

Cheers

Damian