Heater blower resistor

blastersump

I'm sure a decent independant garage will fit it for you. Not neccesarily going to be cheaper as they may not be entirely sure of how to do the job and over quote for the time taken to cover their backs.

It's a common problem - setting 4 just has the full voltage applied, and 1-3 are retarded by the resistors. As I remember with my VW Polo, VW insisted that the job could not be done by anyone else as they had to be VAG-approved resistors. I cannot quite see how this could be the case though.

I had the identical problem on a GM car - after a forum search I bought the resistor pack from the stealer and it was a really simple matter of unscrewing a cover, unplugging the obviously burnt-out resistor pack and plugging the new one in.....

I wouldn't say you deserve to be 'slated' for the question, it's perfectly reasonable. If I were looking to buy one then I would go to a main dealer as it is perhaps one of the less likely parts you'd find third party.

I had this happen on a Nissian Micra about 4 years ago. As said the top speed (Position 4) is just the full power applied to the motor. The other speeds are knocked down by going through different resistors.

It also had a little PCB with burnt out reistors on it. I just measured their values from a working mates car with a multimeter,remembering to subtract any test lead resistance and I just replaced them with 5 watt resistors of around the same value.

The resistor values on the Micra were 0.8 R, 0.9 R and 2.2 R. But the switch used some resistors in series for different speeds, so the total resistance worked out as :-

Position 1 (2.2 + 0.9 + 0.8) = 3.9 R

Position 2 (0.9 + 0.8) = 1.7 R

Position 3 0.9 R

Total cost of repair was about a pound. I'm not too sure what makes a VAG approved resistor but I bet the real part is loads more than £1.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have a Skoda Octavia mk2 2005 1.9tdi. The heater resistor blew about 6 months ago. Bought the resistor from the dealer and replace it. Resistor blew again within 10 minutes. Went to the dealer and they would not replace it under the 2 year warrenty as they suspected that there may be a fault in the wiring or electrical parts. This meant a huge bill. so, I pulled out the heator motor to check if it is working. The motor seemed to be fine. After this more serious problem developed and that was as soon as I turned the heater switch to position 3 the 40 amp fuse popped. Even more serious problem developed the car would start. Now I was in seriuos trouble. However, decided to tow it to an Auto Electrician. He established that the wiring under the dashboard was shorting with the metal which was causing to blow the heater resistor and blow the 40amp fuse. The total cost came to £300 as it took him whole day to investigate and fix the problem. This may not necessarily be in everyones situation but thought it is another area to be looked into. I hope this will be of help.

Hi & welcome. Did our 1.4 mpi Fabia earlier this year. Access area extending under the glovebox and then simple case of replacement. About 20-30 mins & in my case £5 for the resistor from local vw/audi 2nd hand parts supplier ;)