octavia mk 1

does anyone know why skoda are still making the octy mark1, i know they are all diesels,and mostly bought by taxi drivers ,been in a few dealers in the last two weeks and they all have them,surely must be affecting sales on the mark 2? seems a bit odd.

They also seem to have tons of mk1 cars and parts which is why they are offering things like loads of options free and some dealers are even offering deals like cost plus £1 for cash.

thats a brilliant deal ..think they are all 1.9 sdi 's though ...but still excellent

i have a mk 1 but would rather have a mk 2 no question,maybe its down to price. as you say they are well sought after but surely mk 2 must be a better car.

I had to make the choice between a MKI with a big turbo upgrade or a MKII.

I think on reflection I would have been better of with the MKI...

I had to make the choice between a MKI with a big turbo upgrade or a MKII.

I think on reflection I would have been better of with the MKI...

would be interested to know why you say that?, i'm considering getting a mk 2 vrs in march /april,would welcome your opinion,and anyone else who cares to let me know what they think.

mk1 looks much nicer. mk2 looks like someone took a mk1 and put a grenade in it, bulging it out a bit.

mk1 also 'looks' faster if you know what i mean.

but i guess thats all just a matter of opinion......

The Mk2 suffers from "car spread" IMO. The only place I can really fault my Mk1 is that I'd like more rear seat legroom on the odd occasions I've got more than 1 passenger. In fact, I'd sacrifice boot space for more rear legroom and a longer wheelbase because I'm quite happy with the width.

Why must the mk2 be a better car? From what I hear the floorplan and build are more troublesome and more 'thrown together' than the mk1. But I haven't seen any reliability stats to prove that. The mk1 achieved no2 out of all cars.

Also if the new model is heavier, and has more complex less fuel efficient diesel engines, some may prefer the older one with a chip if needed to bring it up to the latest in power levels.

The old 110tdi for instance, can easily be made to run at 170bhp with no serious mods. But it will do a genuine 60+mpg on a run and 55 average. A VERY gently driven 07 plate taxi with 20k on it and the latest 2.0pd 16v 140bhp, does 41mpg.....

Greg.

i have a mk 1 but would rather have a mk 2 no question,maybe its down to price. as you say they are well sought after but surely mk 2 must be a better car.

Why must the mk2 be a better car? From what I hear the floorplan and build are more troublesome and more 'thrown together' than the mk1. But I haven't seen any reliability stats to prove that. The mk1 achieved no2 out of all cars.

Also if the new model is heavier, and has more complex less fuel efficient diesel engines, some may prefer the older one with a chip if needed to bring it up to the latest in power levels.

The old 110tdi for instance, can easily be made to run at 170bhp with no serious mods. But it will do a genuine 60+mpg on a run and 55 average. A VERY gently driven 07 plate taxi with 20k on it and the latest 2.0pd 16v 140bhp, does 41mpg.....

Greg.

ok ..i'll rephrase it should be a better car,as it is the second model it should be a improvement on the previous one,handling,performance reliability ect.

why can you not mod the mk 2 in a similar way?

not disagreeing with what you say,but mk 2 has been taking a bit of a slagging on her at times,just want to know if it is still a good car.

I bought a MK1 instead of a MK2 TDi on a 06 plate.It was much cheaper to buy from The Taxi Centre in Scotland (only £10,400).

The manager said that they cannot sell MK2,s as they are not popular in the taxi trade.

But Skoda will stop making the MK1 in 2010.

I'd like more rear seat legroom on the odd occasions I've got more than 1 passenger. In fact, I'd sacrifice boot space for more rear legroom and a longer wheelbase because I'm quite happy with the width.

So that would be the Superb then :D

By car spread, i took it as the width you meant?

The Superb is actually narrower then the Octy II (not by much granted)

The reason i swapped my MKI for the Superb was for the same reason - more rear legroom, the boot it smaller yes, but in reality the size of the Octavia boot is wasted most of the time.

It was however all said in jest hence the :D

you mean because you can do more mods on mk1? are you saying that the mk 2 is not as reliable then?

It's just that the MKI has been well developed over the years. The MKII is reliable though :)