Extremely bad MPG for 2.0tdi

Hi,

This is mainly for the 2.0tdi as this is what I have. I am suffering from really bad MPG and its quite worrying what I achieve on a daily basis! My longterm average is 36mpg. :eek:

Last night I heard the low fuel bong at the top of the red! 17 miles later I was in a frantic search for a petrol station as it was just hitting empty! There are no fuel leaks (from what I can see..no puddles). Would there be something wrong with my fuelling? As I feel a 2.0T would have been a better choice considering petrol is currently cheaper than diesel.

I am thinking about complaining to Skoda UK as according to the brochure the 2.0tdi was more efficient compared to the 1.9tdi on paper! :thumbdwn:

Not sure whether yours has a DPF (don't think the 2.0 140 does), however if it's that and it's clogged, it could mess up your MPG good and proper. A good long blast to clear it every week or so's what's needed...

I hired a Golf MkV with the 2.0 TDI (140) lump in it and over a week's normal driving (about 500 miles) it averaged 37mpg so it would appear you're not alone. Maybe if you do a lot of motorway work you can achieve the higher quoted figures?

Chris

Hi

As we mentioned on another thread our 1.9tdi pd Octy Ambient 4x4 , 48gal average, reading 1655km done so far.

However that includes running in, snow driving, motorway, and city , and some bad roads. So we will be looking to improve on that possibly.

We have two 2.0TDi cars both with DSG box and I'd struggle to get less than 40mpg on any journey... My daily drive is 24 miles of single carriageway 'A' and 'B' roads done at a brisk pace when traffic allows and I usually see 48-58 on the computer for that. When I visit my parents 70 miles away which involves a thrash up the M3 and round the M25 followed by heavy traffic into south London then I still get nearly 50mpg. My long term average (last 2300 miles) which includes lots of short local journeys as well is 47.9mpg...

For another comparison, last year we used my wife's VW Golf 2.0 TDi with DSG to tow my single seater racecar (trailer 400kgs, racecar 340kgs and spares, fuel etc another 100kgs) from Gloucester to Anglesey and back and averaged 37mpg for the whole trip :thumbup:

My car has done 24000 miles and SWMBO's car has now reached 55000 miles :)

I'm pretty much driving on my own all the time, hardly have the car laden at all.

Some journeys are short, 7 miles to work and some times i have a good blast on a 300 mile round trip to my folks!

My car has not got the DPF.

I do not doubt the effiency of the 1.9 as I have that at work and quite often see it hit 60mpg and thats driving 70-90 on motorways.

No, even giving it serious beans I've never got an octy 2.0 under 40mpg long term average (no it wasn't mine I admit, but then hey).

My long term average around town was about 47 and out usually 55+ doing m/ways.

Something is wrong there.

How many miles has your car done?

I found on my MK I that you should completely ignore what they say about the air filter lasting 40k and the fuel filter 40k (60k & 40k on the MK II) as the air filter came out like a lump of charcoal.

That easily knocked 10mpg off my car and a change got it up in no time.

If you haven't already done it I'd get them both changed and if there are problems get skoda to look at it.

I got to admit the engine is around 15k mark. So not quite a loose engine...but I would have been expecting more than what I'm getting. I do recall when they released the MY2007 they updated the fuel figures etc not sure if they changed anything on the engine as well?

I found on my MK I that you should completely ignore what they say about the air filter lasting 40k and the fuel filter 40k (60k & 40k on the MK II) as the air filter came out like a lump of charcoal.

That easily knocked 10mpg off my car and a change got it up in no time.

If you haven't already done it I'd get them both changed and if there are problems get skoda to look at it.

Good point. This is what my old filter looked like after 15k...

15k_filter.jpg

:thumbdwn: Easy and cheap to replace, and despite all the opinions regarding filters and performance in terms of horsepower, one thing's for sure which is that your economy should improve. Other than that and the DPF thing I mentioned earlier (if you have one...), it might be worth seeing if a diagnostic scan sheds any light...

We're generally getting between 47mpg and 55 mpg on a 2.0 TDi 4x4 with a mix of town and open road driving. Sounds like something could be wrong but with lots of short journeys you may find that the car isn't getting warmed up properly which could be affaceting your fuel consumption (when I use the Mazda on my short daily commute I only get around 18mpg!)

For sure, tyre pressures will make a big difference, as will oil level believe it or not.

I have several colleagues with PD140s (A3, Leon and Golfs), and all average low-mid 40s, and that involves lots of town driving, turning round in cul-de-sacs, driving slowly whilst inspecting etc... so yours does sound low by atleast 5mpg...

Did you "baby" it when running it in?? :P

Did you "baby" it when running it in?? :P

I was a bit gentle on it, but I did blast it here and there when it was warmed up.

Right this weekend, check tyre pressures, air filter and oil and give it a good blast on the motorway!

And I'll see how it goes!

Anyway phoned Skoda UK, and mentioned I was getting 36mpg and she said "your figures don't seem anything to be concerned about." :eek:

Anyway will try what people have said, then if its still that bad I will get in touch with the dealer and see if there is any error codes and take it from there! :thumbup:

My average is currently just over 55 MPG. This is since the dashpod was replaced about 6K miles ago.

My 55 reg 2.0TDi 140 does not have a DPF.

If your MPG is low, I would be checking the MAF, Air Filter and Tyre pressures.

From the low fuel bong, I can easily drive 45 miles before needing anymore.

I generally do fairly short journeys in my PD140DSG and get about 37mpg (fill to fill). May seem low but same journeys in my previous 1.6 Civic only gave an av of 28mpg so I am very happy.

On longer journeys I get 45+

that sounds very low to me unless you constantly have your foot to the floor!

45 - 48mpg for me on motorways but there are a lot of hills and A roads on my daily trundle. long term average is 43mpg but thats probably from short journeys between sites. currently on 27000 miles.

My 2.0TDI carries a substantial load all in the boot at all times and stuff on the roof. It gets driven hard and will usually return 38-39 MPG. My last one was exactly the same.