Traction Control & ABS lights staying on

Hi everyone,

Just bought a Skoda Superb 04 reg 1.9tdi 100bhp the other day in the UK and on bringing it back to Ireland the traction control and ABS warning lights came on after a wheel spin in the snow and doesn't seem to switch off now, just wondering if there's any way to switch them off without going to a dealer, I've read about the diagnostic tools, are they any good and will they sort out this problem? Would appreciate some help as I don't fancy the boat ride back if it is something simple

Cheers

Find someone with VAG-COM- look in the diagnostics and VAG-COM thread for soemone near you. You might also want to check the ABS sensors and rings at each wheel for accumulated crud.

Thanks for the links, they are a little bit far away, but I'll have a snoop around with some of the locals and see if I can get any joy. Would you recommend buying any of the diagnostic tools that are advertised on ebay etc.. for about £20?

Personally no, but i got my genuine Ross-tech cable in a group buy so saved a fair bit.

Some people use the eBay cables with no problem (you need to register the software still with ross-tech for £50 to make it fully work) others don't have so much luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm only replying now but it was only yesterday that I had the warning lights switched off. They seem to be staying off (fingers crossed) although the guy who did it for me told me that he picked up a fault in the front left ABS sensor, so it looks like it may need a trip to the local dealer. Might try cleaning them as suggested and found this in Google images in relation to cleaning the ABS sensors, forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1722551

I take it the set up wll be similar as they are all VAG manufactured? Thanks for the previous help.

Excellent site with really good pictures - but the B5.5 Superb has an entirely different front hub assembly.

On the B5.5 the toothed reluctor ring for the ABS wheelspeed probe is fitted onto the outer body of the CV joint (it's easily broken when you take the joint out to change the boot).

The speed probe is a particularly crappy detail - it pushes into a hole in the steering knuckle and is retained by a scrunchy steel leaf spring "liner". There is also a pathetic rubber water seal at the cable end to keep rainwater out of the bore. It doesn't of course, and the speed probes tend to rust in.

As a maintenance procedure, remove the probe (it pulls out) each time you take the wheels off, apply anti-seize grease to the transducer body and silicone grease to the seal surface. Make sure it's pushed right in.

rotodiesel.