anyone here with an Octy II (VRS) estate with lowered suspension ?

After my other thread here ;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/awesome-gti/koni-fsd-s-octy-ii-vrs-estate/98063/

it rather got me thinking about the effects of lowered suspension on ride quality.

I'm running standard 17" wheels and looking really to just smooth out the jittery ride on my VRS estate, so ride quality/comfort is more important to me than outright performance, although lowering would certainly help with loading the boot with heavy gear.

Does anyone here have lowered Eibachs or similar on their VRS estate ?

How does it affect the ride quality ?

May be interested meeting up with someone if Midlands based to see what they are like before taking the plunge :shy:

Cheers,

Russell

Several on here have fitted the tried and trusted Eibach/Koni FSD combo and rate it highly. Having driven cars with this set-up (impressive) and the OEM springs and dampers (awful), it's the route I will be going once mine arrives...

ahem:

vrslaneflip2.JPG

As for ride quality, I can only comment on the the Eibach upgrade (not Koni FSDs) as it was dealer fit: if you want comfort go for 17"s and std springs. If you want handling go for 18"s, Eibachs and KONIs

Sadly at present the Koni FSD's are not available for the Estate. It's a shame as by all accounts they offer the ideal ride handling compromise on the hatch.

Sarah from Awesome gave us an update earlier today Re. FSD for Ocy estate in my other post ;

Right

I have had a word with Koni

The reason they said it would not fit is because they have not tried it

The reason I did not look , mmm dont know :blush:

They are both the same

I am sorry , so the answer is yes we can get FSD`s for your car

We need to know the size of the front shockers

Either 50 or 55mm

The price of these £283.61 + VAT :blush: sorry

Awesome > Golf 5 incl.GTi (03>) Excl. 4-Motion / front: Original struts 55 mm only

Awesome > Golf 5 incl.GTi (03>) Excl. 4-Motion / front: Original struts 50 mm only

Hang my head in shame

Sarah

So looks like good news :thumbup:

Sadly at present the Koni FSD's are not available for the Estate. It's a shame as by all accounts they offer the ideal ride handling compromise on the hatch.

As stated above, it IS possible as it's identical to the hatch so get your cheque books at the ready because it's a fab upgrade :thumbup:

I don't have my vRS estate anymore but I had the Eibach kit and the FSDs (fitted by JKM) and it made a big difference. Looked much more dramatic and the handling was significantly improved with less roll and it felt much more planted and predictable which was particularly noticeable in the wet.

Ride quality was an improvement with far less bounce on uneven surfaces although on speed bumps the back end would feel like it was pushing you forward a bit until I changed my approach and accelerated a bit to cancel it out. I'd recommend it with no reservations other than which card to use to pay for it! :thumbup:

Are the Koni and/or Eibach Suspension upgrades approved by Skoda?

Ie would it affect the warranty?

The springs are available through Skoda themselves so I would see no problem there. Skoda Accessories

As for the FSD's that would depend on the components that you were trying to claim under warranty. I suppose you could say it is a better than OE component. ;)

Ooooooh... Didnt know that... :D

Might have to get a quote inc. fitting at my local dealers soon then :)

You'll find the springs much cheaper elsewhere (as Eibachs) than from your dealer (as Skoda accessories)...

Eibach part number is E10-79-004-02-22 by the way.

As my insurance is due for renewal in the next few weeks, I thought I'd ask that very nice Mr. Directline what affect these potential mods may have on my premium ;

Koni FSD's only - no premium change

FSD's + Eibachs (lowered) - plus extra £90 per year premium :eek:

I've had lowered suspension on two previous cars and found it had a negligible effect on the ride quality and if anything made it worse. I agree that the OEM ride on the vRS is very jittery particularly on broken/ribbed road surfaces.

Having read up on Koni's FSDs and seen comments on here about them I got in on a group buy and had them fitted the day after taking delivery on my car, but kept to OEM springs. I have not looked back. :D;)

If you have not already read it, here is a review I wrote at the time;- http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gearbox-tyres/koni-fsd-shock-absorbers/76644/

That picture is B0llox

I am sorry, I am not down wiv the kids, is "B0llox" good or bad?

If you don't like the picture, just cut and paste into MS Paint (*other graphics editors available) and "Flip Horizontal".

It's not meant to mess with your mind, I just like cars "pointing" right, and I took the picture the with the car the "wrong way round".