How to increase your DIESEL tank capacity

Td-eye

don't remember exactly- but I calculated from the exact expansion coefficient of diesel x tank capacity x HUGE temp change and it was like 2-3 ml difference... then was told I had too much time on my hands for posting that info up on Brisk!! (NOT!!)

It is safe - I used to be a motorcyclist too - and I would never do it if I thought otherwise...

If you're pushing down the little black nipple thingie - you are doing exactly the same thing, but just making life a bit more difficult for yourself....

takes about 5 mins to do - and fully reversable if desired (for any illogical reason)...

Cheers

Bas

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's needed for the petrol engined models.
But petrol and diesel fuel tanks have different part numbers - so why fit it to the diesel fuel tanks if it for petrol engined cars only?

What has being a motorcyclist got to do with the price of fish?

Diesel spills cause many motorcycle accidents, diesel is actually a light oil which often spills out of vehicles fuel tanks because of missing fuel caps etc as they go round corners. As you might imagine a motorcyclist with only two wheels has little chance of staying on his machine if encountering any oil on the road on a corner & hence the very real hatred of diesel spills by motorcyclists.

HTH.

The filler neck is most likely common across the whole range, either petrol or diesel engined.
Cars which run on lead-free petrol have fuel tanks with a 22mm filler neck compared with a 26mm filler neck for those running on 'normal' petrol. Diesels also have fuel tanks with a larger filler neck. (Info courtesy of ETKA). :)

Diesel spills cause many motorcycle accidents, diesel is actually a light oil which often spills out of vehicles fuel tanks because of missing fuel caps etc as they go round corners. As you might imagine a motorcyclist with only two wheels has little chance of staying on his machine if encountering any oil on the road on a corner & hence the very real hatred of diesel spills by motorcyclists.

HTH.

Still fairly irrelevant IMO. I may not have a motorbike, but I avoid spilling diesel wherever possible.

Last time I say this: you don't spill diesel with this mod.

(I have filled up to the max, taken a hard left hand turn and inspected the fuel filler area - no sign of any spillage whatsover)

I admire the way the guide is worded at the start - ie should you decide to do it....

Does this work for the Octavia VRs TDi? I have a Fabia VRs which I am trading in soon and have always filled the expansion tank using the nozzle on the button trick. It would be nice to get extra in my Octavia when I get it as I do some big mileages.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Gillywibble should try riding a bike through a petrol station and riding through diesel spills. Its hard enough to walk on some petrol station forecourts in motorcycle boots, never mind while balanced on a bike.

Diesel spills KILL motorcyclists. Its quite simple a concept. diesel is just OIL, and it doesn't evaporate like spilled petrol does!

I dont even fill my Octy diesel to the brim without this mod, as i've had the sh*te scared out of me when hitting diesel at relatively low speeds (ie 20mph) so Gd help me if i encounter it on a bend at 60mph!

This:

Diesel spills KILL motorcyclists. Its quite simple a concept. diesel is just OIL, and it doesn't evaporate like spilled petrol does!

and this:

Last time I say this: you don't spill diesel with this mod.

Are both totally 100% correct, end of ! :mad:

I can't see this mod being insurance friendly!

If you REALLY need the extra 5 litres of diesel for a long journey, why not:

(a) fill up with V-Power for that journey

or

(B) fill up a 5 litre can and stick it in the boot

or

© drive less enthusiastically, thus improving mpg

or

(d) all of the above?

Just a thought!

I think Gillywibble should try riding a bike through a petrol station and riding through diesel spills.

I have, many times. Just because I don't own a mtorcycle now doesn't mean I haven't in the past.

Why the rant? I'm just making the point that it's irrelevant for the purposes of 'proving' how good this modification is supposed to be.

I can't see this mod being insurance friendly!

If you REALLY need the extra 5 litres of diesel for a long journey, why not:

(a) fill up with V-Power for that journey

or

(B) fill up a 5 litre can and stick it in the boot

or

© drive less enthusiastically, thus improving mpg

or

(d) all of the above?

Just a thought!

Why would it not be insurance friendly??? Would the insurance company cancel my insurance if i fill my car to the brim everytime with or without the expansion tank method???? I think not.

It's actually about an extra 2 gallons you can get in the expansion tank, Or that's what i usually get in, which equates to approx 100 miles extra range be it driven enthusiastically or not which is a very useful amount when a round trip to work is 50 miles like my own. I usually get in the region of 500 miles to a tank. (And that's with the dragon box fitted and set to maximum power setting). The one time the mrs filled the car up i only got around 400 or so. I can't see what the problem is..... As mentioned previously the petrol cap makes a seal so stopping any spillage.... And if you can't manage to put the cap back on then there really must be issued raised about the persons abilities to be in control of a car in the first place.

Looking at your points raised you could have a similar discussion about people who just put £10-£20 of fuel in their car the same time each week and those like myself who fill up a tankfull at a time if you think about it.

So in brief.....

a) I already use Millers sport IV which works out cheaper than V power diesel with the same perks so don't need V power.

B) Why should i when there's a 10 litre or so version built into the fuel tank already?

c)I've found whether i drive carefully or enthusiastically the difference by the end of the tank is at most 20 or so miles in range.

Cheers

Dave.

I think Gillywibble should try riding a bike through a petrol station and riding through diesel spills. Its hard enough to walk on some petrol station forecourts in motorcycle boots, never mind while balanced on a bike.

I dont even fill my Octy diesel to the brim without this mod, as i've had the sh*te scared out of me when hitting diesel at relatively low speeds (ie 20mph) so Gd help me if i encounter it on a bend at 60mph!

Why is this mod going to make me more likely to spill diesel on the garage forecourt?????

Also with the fuelcap in place and the tank sealed how is it going to put diesel on the road????

If there are relevant explanations then feel free to rant but personally i can't see any.

Just to make clear...... I'm not a biker but i work in an office full of them and not one has raised any concerns regarding this mod when i've spoken to them about it.

Cheers

Dave.

Does this work for the Octavia VRs TDi? I have a Fabia VRs which I am trading in soon and have always filled the expansion tank using the nozzle on the button trick. It would be nice to get extra in my Octavia when I get it as I do some big mileages.

Thanks for any help.

I changed my fabia vrs for an oct vrs and unfortunately this mod does not apply, in fact I probably could get as much in the fabia. However still manage to get over 500 miles on a tank and at my age I need to stop before the car does!Would also highly recommend the performance torque remap, really smoothes engine out and not that expensive compared to the likes of superchips. Done 5k no dpf issues , and surprised a few 'fast' cars with its mid range grunt

Also with the fuelcap in place and the tank sealed how is it going to put diesel on the road????

The fuel tank isn't sealed, it cant be or as soon as you fired up the fuel pump it would suck the tank in as no air could be drawn in. So if its brimmed eventually the fuel could in theory back its way from the filler neck down the breather line and to atmostphere. This is why you cant' do the mod on the petrol models as the breather line is connected back through the inlet system via the charcoal canister, this floods with fuel and knackers it.

No, but the fuel tank vents to the filler neck, so when the cap is on the system IS sealed :)

Not sure on that tbh mate.

Any tank needs a vent or it will never empty. If you pump a fluid out and its not vented then the pump will just implode the tank. Seen it happen when the breather lines get blocked with crud.

Like your brake fluid reservoir, thus there is a way that moisture gets in and you have to change the brake fluid.