Week Long Number Plate Crackdown - National

VRStu

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I was done by plod for my bike plate during a crack down. Legal lettering, legal spacing, legal font, but because it's 6 digit's I had it all on one line and so I got £30 and a vrn because apparently ANPR can not read a bike plate on a single line.

Personally I think that is / was borrocks, but I just wound my neck in and took it on the chin which in hindsight was the wrong thing to do after all ANPR manages to read car plates on a single line :mad:.

It's not really the police's fault, someone in county hall, or central government will be coming up with new ways to push an already unhappy and over stretched group of public servants into clamping down on soft targets instead of funding and equipping them to properly handle the more serious crimes out there, like tackling knife and gun crime, drugs, angry wives etc etc etc

Cant agree more about the lighting at the moment Stu, does my tits in, not just blown bulbs which are bad enough but badly adjusted lights, use of fog lights and people who dont understand how to use full beam properly :mad:

Interestingly, the Mad Wife took my car to Manchester last week, and it was given a good 'looking at' by two traffic policemen ( its 'plates and tints are porobably illegal ) but they just smiled and her and carried on.

Her Asian workmate borrowed it at the back end of last year and was stopped every time he went out in it, and was told to remove the tints and change the plates.

Makes you think...

I got stopped once in 2001 not long after my DAd bought the car because a tail light wasn't working. think it might have been cause I looked really young at that time. :rolleyes:

But I haven't been stopped randomly by the Police since. But then again my car doesn't have any tints or fancy plates.

My little old polo used to get pulled over all the time - might have had something to do with the hammerite paintjob.

Always found it entertaining though because the police could never find anything illegal with the car, it just look rubbish.

Foreign style, British number plates are illegal.

this is what annoys me. why should a british car wearing german styled plates be illegal? from what point could they cause any problems? our ANPR systems should be able to read it otherwise every foreign car can do what it likes!!

so what is there beef?

Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to change from Black 'n Silver to White 'n Yellow plates for a week :rolleyes:;).

Register it in Guernsey, they are black and silver there, my mate's reg plate is "6" iirc and it actually looks pretty cool :D

Foreign style, British number plates are illegal.

this is what annoys me. why should a british car wearing german styled plates be illegal? from what point could they cause any problems? our ANPR systems should be able to read it otherwise every foreign car can do what it likes!!

so what is there beef?

Motorist = soft target.

Illegible / italic plates on cars or bikes should be clamped down on imho. If it can be clearly read from a distance then there should be no problem (well logic would dictate that anyway).

Motorist = soft target.

Illegible / italic plates on cars or bikes should be clamped down on imho. If it can be clearly read from a distance then there should be no problem (well logic would dictate that anyway).

totally agree. those types of plates are just out to be difficult. my own car was built in germany, so was the SWMBO's. we both like the style of the plates and think they are very easy to read.

anoyingly ive had to go back to normal plates, but we still use them for shows. might just have to "forget" to take them off ;)

Cant agree more about the lighting at the moment Stu, does my tits in, not just blown bulbs which are bad enough but badly adjusted lights, use of fog lights and people who dont understand how to use full beam properly :mad:

Totally agree. One light out, no lighting at all on one side, badly adjusted lights, fogs, blue lights and the 24/7 main beams.

Far more annoying that German or the rather nice looking black/silver plates.

I find German plates more easy to read than British ones

I did too, but that might just be that they are white at both ends of the car.

Oh and self adhesive plates being illegal.

Why? Bet that is going to cause fun for the Atom drivers etc.

Well, they'd better not come across the Suzuki GSX my mate had in for service the other month - it had a flip-down rear number plate, hinged in the middle, that at the flick of a finger would display another number entirely. Now how ****-witted is that? The bike's only got to be spotted waiting at the lights by PC Plod and the rider's got some pretty much impossible questions to answer!

Part of me says lazy f'ing police, who SHOULD be cracking down on bad driving and speeders using a patrol car.

However, many scroates driving with illegal plates are more than likely to be very dodgy in other ways.

But why only crackdown at certain intervals rather than all year round? Perhaps they need to road test their new ANPR fleets.

I got pulled nearly 2 years ago as my plates were :rolleyes: slightly missed spaced and was told it was because ANPR would not recognize the plates due to the spacing.

Anyone who has seen my plate will by how much they are spaced out.I also carry a spare set of plates in the boot for MOT purposes.

• 2 weeks later...