Higher Octane or not?

Apparently the sainsbusys stuff is very good anyway. You won't notice much difference between 99 and 95 ron unless the car has been remapped, then it makes quite a bit of difference.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the sainsbusys stuff is very good anyway. You won't notice much difference between 99 and 95 ron unless the car has been remapped, then it makes quite a bit of difference.

Oh yes you will! :rofl: :rofl:

I used to run my Fabia 1.4mpi on Optimax (now V-Power) or Tesco 99 and it would run smoothly and with verve. However a spell on Supermarket 95 saw the performance drop off and the fuel consumption increase by 2-3mpg. QED

I've been using sainsbury's 98 or 99 which ever one it is.As its BP.

I also tried morrisons 95 and i get 5 mpg more off the sainsbury's stuff.

i've not tried v power and only a couple of tanks of tesco,as the tesco's is 5p a litre more.

So what's the Octane of Which fuel?

Tesco Premium is 99 Octane

But not everyone has a Tesco with a petrol station attached.

So can the brains department here produce a list of recommended fuels, with the Supermarket or Petroleum Co name, so I and everyone who's not savvy to this can make an informed choice.

Many Thanks.

IJ.

Here's a start...

Supermarkets:

Tesco Super - 99

Sainsbury's Super - 97

Asda -?

Morrisons - ?

Petrol Stations:

Shell Optimax* - 99

BP Ultimate* - 97 (also 102 at selected outlets)

Total Excellium* - 97

Murco - ?

Esso - ?

Texaco - ?

*Some oil companies also inlude additives in their super fuels which they claim reduce engine wear and increase economy.

no your not, me too! however I do fill with super unleaded from time to time but I'm always sceptical as to whether it really is the higher ocatane or does it just say it on the label!

Me also.

Makes no odds on the works mondeo, or our FSI Octavia.

Esso Supreme - 97 added;-

Supermarkets:

Tesco Super - 99

Sainsbury's Super - 97

Asda -?

Morrisons - ?

Petrol Stations:

Shell Optimax* - 99

BP Ultimate* - 97 (also 102 at selected outlets)

Total Excellium* - 97

Murco - ?

Esso - 97

Texaco - ?

*Some oil companies also inlude additives in their super fuels which they claim reduce engine wear and increase economy.

I ran my 06 Octy vRS on Tesco 99 super unleaded, occasionally filling up with BP Ultimate which was 97 - but then decided to try Shell V-Power, which made a world of difference: the car ran considerably more smoothly and I also got a few extra mpg out of the tank. Plus, if you join the free V-Power Drivers' Club you get money off vouchers for fuel :)

I now run my Fabia vRS on V-Power diesel as a result of my trial with the Octy, which incidentally got stolen with a full tank of V-Power :mad: in January (which probably explains why it out-ran the local coppers' vRS!!!).

When the FL arrives in a week or two, I'll be back to V-Power for that one too :D

i always run my car on superunleaded usually tesco's because its my closest petrol station, my fuel of choice is definitely V power. its a 10 mile round trip to get it but i have found consistently over 8 years and 4 different cars that this is the best petrol !!!!

i had a e36 bmw 325i coupe and vpower made it run so smooth, putting normal petrol in made it run like a diesel.

my last car vectra sri 150 usually ran on tesco's SUL, one day i filled it up with v power and on the way to work the next day my workmate said to me have you done something to this car it feels faster. that made my mind up that v power is the best.

so in the vrs i try to make the journey for v power, plus join the v power club and collect points and you get vouchers off petrol and other good offers.

just a note i sometimes use sainsburys if im low and near the garage.

tescos redcar 99 octane

shell guisbrough v power

sainsburys middlesbrough 97 ron

also somerfield guisbrough, esso saltburn, total redcar all sell super unleaded