windscreen wipers juddering

JUST TWEAK THE BL**DY ARMS AS I SUGGESTED!

Sorry for the rant but it WILL work - honest - just lift the arms off and twist them slightly so that they compensate for the bent rubber of the blade and allow the blade to flop over...

JUST TWEAK THE BL**DY ARMS AS I SUGGESTED!

Sorry for the rant but it WILL work - honest - just lift the arms off and twist them slightly so that they compensate for the bent rubber of the blade and allow the blade to flop over...

I'll give it a go but I've tried 2 different set's of arms, I don't see how they can be at fault and this is the 3rd set of new blades i've tried.

I'll give it a go but I've tried 2 different set's of arms, I don't see how they can be at fault and this is the 3rd set of new blades i've tried.

Trus me - lift then off the screen and think about the way the blades need to be tweaked and then twist the arms a bit to suit - it will work.

Trust me - they haven't worked because they will both be square to the screen with the angle the same on both - they are not compensating for the bend in the rubber. Just lift them off the screen and think about the way the blades need to be tweaked and then twist the arms a bit to suit and change the angle of the blade against the screen when looking at the end of the blade - it will work (I've done this on all three cars at home for this exact reason.

Based on my past experience with wipers, I'd also bet on linkage. You probably have some drag in it, 90% due to friction in the bushings (seems to be comon to many Octavias).

I fixed mine (braking it in the process and repairing with a metal broomstick!), it lasted for 2 years and eventualy had to replace it (not the motor) - have even some pics of it, but couldn't insert here.

The new linkage is likely to cost less than all the trial-and-error you've done so far. And you'll know when it works - no juddering, just smooth, quiet (and faster) wiping in all weather conditions and at any speed, Aero or otherwise.

I re-packed my linkage with grease when I cleaned mine up. That must have been at least 18 months ago, and they have been fine ever since, and a lot cheaper that buying a new set of linkage from the dealer.

A Quick update.

I've been twisting the blades as told and can report that it has helped but not solved the problem, the jumping and smearing has now moved higher and out of my immidiate view when driving and is no only noticable above 50mph.

The linkages are the last things on the list to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this again. If you have sorted most of it using the arm try a final tweak to the blades themselves. I had a brand new pair of aero blades a couple of weeks ago that needed a slight tweak straight out of the packaging to sort a judder at one end. The old blades were fine, just worn, and didn't judder but the new ones just needed a slight twist at one end and I have an inkling that they may have got slightly twisted in the packaging.

I've re-greased the wiper linkages and tweaked the wiper arm and blade but still get some juddering at high speed although the juddering has now moved to towards the top of the screen and now not in my direct sight.

I'm just going to have to live with it.

Thanks

The linkages are remown for seizing

Sometimes the greasing will work , sometimes it wont

Replace the linkage

Mark (my fella) had the same problem on his Octavia and I said replace it anyway

He did , I was supprised it was not THAT much for the part

I can remember watching world rally , and the Octavia had to pull out then as the wipers stopped working , made me chuckle , if they dont work on them cars , it can happen to yours

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...