Who's fitted an electrical boost gauge?

As above, has anyone fitted an electrical boost gauge to their tdi? Apparently it taps into the actuator instead of the usual manifold/intercooler. It uses a boost sensor which is read by the gauge unlike the mechanical ones which actually use boost to power the gauge?

No one on the SEAT forum has fitted one yet so I thought I would give you guys a go?

Thanks in advance :D

I have an electrical boost guage boost gauge !

The only way to measure the boost pressure on a tdi pd with a vnt turbo is to take a tapping point off the inlet manifold.

The small vacumn pipe that controls the actuator doesnt carry boost! It carries a vacumn which controls the actuator which controls the VNT mechanism.

This is where the confusion comes from, on a petrol turbo...... the pipe running to the actuator does contain boost from the inlet manifold.... the more boost the more the actuator will close the waste gate and the more the turbo will spin and the more boost it will supply,,,,,, Its like a vicious circle :rofl:

If you tap into this point on a vag pd your car will run like pooo, and youll get a neg reading on the boost gauge.

In other words you really need to tap into the inlet manifold or buy one of these fancy looking obd reader thingys :D

Now, THAT is absolutely sweet!! And just when I'm trying to save a bit of money too!!

How 'real time' are the readings Dave? How are you finding the unit to operate etc. (mini review???!) :thumbup::D

Edit: And also, where did you purchase it from and how much was it?;)

Im wishing i'd just bought the usual mechanical one now, looks like i'll be getting a garage to fit it. The place I took it to for a quote said it does use the actuator, in the pack its got a T shaped "junction" like bit of tubing to allow you to tap into the actuator.

Thanks for comments on my car!

Im wishing i'd just bought the usual mechanical one now, looks like i'll be getting a garage to fit it.

The place I took it to for a quote said it does use the actuator, in the pack its got a T shaped "junction" like bit of tubing to allow you to tap into the actuator.

Thanks for comments on my car!

Whatever you do dont take it to the place that said tap into the actuator piping :eek:

The mechanical one will mount in the same way the electrical one does. the only difference is with the electrical one you dont have to run a think tube into the car you only have a thin wire to run.

Plus the mechanical ones are really noisy, i had one...... it did my head in :rofl:

• 3 months later...

Does anyone with a scangauge know if the boost pressure can be read as bar, rather than PSI. And is the MPG in US gallons rather than UK?

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these as they'e much cheaper than I thought, but this:

Race Diagnostics Ltd - Home

in kit form isn't much more. With a bit of hacking, I'm sure some kind of housing for the fabia could be made - it's just a case of taking a gamble on what it could actually read...

The fabia is listed as a supported car...

What do you guys reckon? Take a gamble? The only downside is it doesn't log and the display software seems to be *really* crude from the videos on the site...

• 6 months later...