Wind Noise from n/s/r quarterlight

Hi,

When travelling at 70 mph on the motorway, there is a lot of wind noise thats seems to be coming from n/s/r quarterlight. The car in question is a 55 plate Octavia Vrs, has anyone else here experienced the same problem at all and is there any quick fixes?.

Thanks

Andy

PS Does anyone know how to get the engine cover off to get at the air-filter?:confused:

thanks again

There was a bulletin issued as Stu says so your dealer should know about it.

As for the engine cover, give it a good hard tug and it WILL come off. Lubricate the rubber with silicone spray before replacing it to make it easier to remove in future.

Hi Guys,

That's the car book in for Friday 22nd Feb, will be dropping off in the early morning and hopefully it will be ready for when my dad finishes work at 13.00. The service guy said it is a big job and could take a few hours to replace the full complete seal ( as the n/s/r window has to be removed along with the 1/4 light glass too). Hopefully this will be it sorted and now and the end of the wind noise:)

Thanks again for all your input

Andy

Hi,

Thanks for you input sir, but that's what the service advisor told my dad (as the 1/4 light and drop glass and associated parts have to be removed and the new seal reinstalled along with the drop & 1/4 light glass to be reinstalled and checked to make sure thats cured the prob).

Thanks again for your comments

Andy

I left my 07 RS in today to have a similar problem looked at. The noise seemed to be coming from the front of the car, once I pass 70mph. Once there is cross winds the noise comes in earlier.

The result from the dealer was that this seems to be a characteristic with the new cars. He said someone from Skoda did take 3 cars from the dealer today for a spin & all cars were the same.

A report has been sent to Skoda to see if a solution can be done.

Has anyone come across this before ?

You will need someone in the back seat to check and confirm the location of the wind noise (if it is in the rear it's a complete new window seal). One other thing to check is all the windows are closed tight (which we did). I was advised on here that the dealers are aware of the problem and they should have a revised bulletin on how to cure it.

best of luck and don't let the dealers fob you off.

Andy

Had a similar problem with the rear quarter light on my previous 55 plate octy and the dealer fixed it in a few minutes. Apparently all that is required is to re-position the channel between the two pieces of glass

Had a similar problem with the rear quarter light on my previous 55 plate octy and the dealer fixed it in a few minutes. Apparently all that is required is to re-position the channel between the two pieces of glass

Yep thats the one.

Hi Guys,

That's the wind noise problem all fixed now woo hoo, my dad took it on the motorway this afternoon up to 70mph, l was in the rear and no noise all was quiet.

thanks again for all the help much appreciated

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I have a wind noise coming from the rear off-side passenger area. It's not the window as the noise seems to be coming from further back. Is this the same problem you have mentioned above? Or are the noises you describing only in VRS's??

If it is the same, what work should I suggest to the dealer to get rid of the noise??

55 Plate Ocy II 2.0TDI Elegance.

Cheers.

I have a wind noise coming from the rear off-side passenger area. It's not the window as the noise seems to be coming from further back. Is this the same problem you have mentioned above? Or are the noises you describing only in VRS's??

If it is the same, what work should I suggest to the dealer to get rid of the noise??

55 Plate Ocy II 2.0TDI Elegance.

Cheers.

I didn't have a Vrs and it was a 1.9L diesel. If you're hearing the noise from the driver's seat, it could be difficult to pinpoint the source. Also suspect tyre noise, especially if you have Bridgestones, but noise from tyres usually changes pitch when going from one type of road surface to another.

Mac

Hi,

All l can suggest is that you take your car back into the dealer and explain to them your problem and hopefully they will rectify your problem for you by means of a new complete window seal (thats if your octy is still under warranty?). All comes down to trial and error.

Andy

Just checked, the noise is definately coming from the corner of the car and is not due to overall road noise.

Just to clarify,

When the above posts mention a quarterlight, they mean the rear (smaller) section of window pane in the rear passenger doors?

So Andy, are saying that it's the seal of this smaller window that needs to be replaced and not the larger openable seciton of window?

Luckily the car is still under warranty.

Hi,

I am afraid it's a complete new seal, thats what the garage did to my dads car. That means the door card both windows and any trim will have to be removed and then put all back together with the complete new seal.

A long way for a short cut but as l said that cured our problem :)

andy