My Skoda Supercar

lewist123

Hi all

I posted a little information about this project in another section of the forum, but soon the work will start again on the car so i wanted to stick up project journal so you can all see what has gone before and i will keep it up to date with new work and progress!

So, are we sitting comfortably? I shall begin....

I purchased the car origionally as a runaround while i was between company cars (well jobs that furnished cars anyway!). In the four months i drove it every day and it NEVER once let me down. Once i was back into company cars again i decided that the car didn't own me any money and so the best thing would be to keep it and do something fun and interesting with it.

In the begining i had planned to strip it out, tune it up and turn it into a rally car.

Then one sunny day my next door neighbour gave me his old 2ltr 8valve vauxhall cavalier, and an idea was born... why not install the engine, gearbox, suspention and full sub frame into the favorit. I looked and there was a huge amount of work to fit the engine in the front of the car. I then looked at the back and realised that actually, it wasn't that much extra work to fit the thing in the back!

And so my mid engined rwd skoda supercar idea was formed.

I started by stripping a lot of parts off the car

here is how it stands a few days into the build -

Dscf0687.jpg

the back -

Dscf0688.jpg

After that i decided that i needed to get the car off it's wheels and made some homemade axle stands out of breeze blocks. it was fun trying to jack the car up and fit the blocks but all went well.

Up on the stands -

Dscf0724.jpg

and another -

Dscf0725.jpg

So out came the interior -

Dscf0727.jpg

dash-

Dscf0732.jpg

Just wiring left in place -

Dscf0734.jpg

Now was the time to start removing the fuel tank (lost that picture) and the rear beam so that i could start measuring up for the cavalier subframe.

beam out-

Dscf0729.jpg

gone -

Dscf0728.jpg

So on to the cavalier

Here is the 8valve enigne (180k miles!!!)

engine -

Dscf0821.jpg

the car itself-

Dscf0820.jpg

time to remove the engine, box, suspention and subframe - please note that all health and safety protocols have been fully observed!

engine ooot-

Dscf0864.jpg

Now time to look at how the subframe will fit into the back of the car

subrame -

Dscf0843.jpg

I measured up, marked out the area to remove, measured it again, got worried, and then finally got the angle grinder out and took the plunge

hole -

Dscf0852.jpg

the bit i removed-

Dscf0851.jpg

who needs back seets anyway -

Dscf0855.jpg

On to the front of the car.

I removed the engine from the front of the favorit which is now being rebuilt as a turbo lump for the back of estelle!

fav lump -

Dscf0886.jpg

fav subframe out -

Dscf0888.jpg

Now i looked back at the back end to see how the subframe will fit.

subframe in the hole-

Dscf1111.jpg

now time to look at the cross members to support the subframe. made from 2x2 3mm wall box section cut to fit between the rear chassis rails.

bitta box -

Dscf1115.jpg

a spacer was then fitted to the box to lower the subframe to the correct ride height. (note that it will be re-inforced and plated out when the time comes!

spacer-

Dscf1126.jpg

front cross member with angle cut to bear on the chassis rails

member-

Dscf1132.jpg

Cav got scrapped

scrap-

DSC00243.jpg

Subframe was then fitted into possition

subrame at the back -

DSCF1160.jpg

subframe at the front -

DSCF1158.jpg

general -

DSCF1159.jpg

On goes one wheel to see how she looks

wheel -

DSCF1173.jpg

I then look at how the suspention tops would fit, and found that they wouldn't so removed the whole inner arch

arch-

DSCF1168.jpg

then i cut and flaired the outer arch to allow the tyres to fit propperly

flaired -

DSCF1310.jpg

Now for the gearbox and driveshafts. I roughly installed the box and soon realised that my plan to keep the rear chassis members in tact was not going to work

cut and shut-

Dscf1235edit.jpg

after a lot of fiddling and faffing i ended cutting all the chassis out

gaps -

DSCF1301.jpg

After getting the box to fit i threw the engine in to see what needed to be done to the other side

engine in -

DSCF1405.jpg

the same amount needed to be removed from the other side

cut here -

DSCF1412.jpg

no sooner said than done -

DSCF1415.jpg

so back in goes the engine -

DSCF1414.jpg

and there we have it -

DSCF1421.jpg

woohoo!

thanks!!

so the final update of progress to date!!

got my hands on a premade skoda fav/felicia roll cage and fitted with part of tube from another cage to start to form the cage/space frame setup. lots lots lots more metal to be added!!

DSCF2684.jpg

rwd is the way forward! FWD = :mad:

myfatcow - nice one! Progress has stopped for a while but will be resuming shortly! when its got a more powerful engine then yeah. (this current engine is a little old and tired!

Basil - yeah! I could make this twin engined by nailing another one in the front, but i really wanted a car that handles ok, one engine at the back and one at the front may make it too sluggish to respond to turn in etc (polar moments and stuff!)

thanks for all the comments!

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...