Horn recommendations

Hi all

I ordered my Fabia 3 estate yesterday and there's only one thing I will want to change when it arrives - the horn. The standard fit horn is next to useless, and I'm keen to swap in a proper horn (like on the Octavia, or an equivalent simple two-tone horn).

Have any of you out there got the same issue with the Fabia horn and if so, what option did you choose? Would an Octavia horn install into the Fabia with minimal fuss?

I find out my likley waiting time tomorrow, it will be a level 3, storm blue, with ESP and underseat storage and the 1.4 16v engine.

Jo

No offence guys, that was one of the funniest forum threads I've ever read, though informative.

I was going to ask Laser Skoda to get me an Octavia horn and fit it before delivery - would it be compatible?

It's not even a girlie horn on the Fabia, it's a half-hearted 'thing' from a toy car! I'm female (but no girlie, if you know what I mean?), but that doesn't mean a wimpish horn will be acceptable on my new car. My Astra's horn is fine and makes people sit up and take notice as required.

I'm surprised horns more closely specified in the vehicle contruction and use regulations. Superminis have hideous examples.

Jo

Someone cut me up on a roundabout the otherday, and when I "Blasted" the horn it was just soooooo embarrasing :o

Is the tone of the horn not changeable with VAG-COM, i don't fancy DIY'ing a new one in, but I may have too because it's so bad!

Guest parsko
No offence guys, that was one of the funniest forum threads I've ever read, though informative.

I was going to ask Laser Skoda to get me an Octavia horn and fit it before delivery - would it be compatible?

It's not even a girlie horn on the Fabia, it's a half-hearted 'thing' from a toy car! I'm female (but no girlie, if you know what I mean?), but that doesn't mean a wimpish horn will be acceptable on my new car. My Astra's horn is fine and makes people sit up and take notice as required.

I'm surprised horns more closely specified in the vehicle contruction and use regulations. Superminis have hideous examples.

Jo

Well I it wasn't the first time that a young lady has had a good laugh at my horn and it probably wont be the last :o

Well I it wasn't the first time that a young lady has had a good laugh at my horn and it probably wont be the last :o

Well if I find the horn embarassing, I'm not surprised chaps find it too much to bear! Why did they do it? Apparently the new Seat Ibiza has the same sort of thing. The Corsa horn was a bit naff, but we put up with it. The Fabia one is just drifts beyond that acceptable level of twee-ness. The estate is perfect otherwise. I can't wait!

I must say, I'm finding Briskoda a very nice forum to visit. Thanks guys!

Jo

I have spoken to skoda about the ant sized horn in the new fabia. Aparently it is controlled by a computer box thing and draws very little current at all, therefore has NO RELAY!!!

The guy in the service department said that the circuit would only be suitable as a switching circuit for a relay, and that any current draw over and above the standard horn would risk breaking the computer box thing.

He also took pride in telling me that an excessive current draw would void warranty cover and the computer box thing replacement cost is huge!

So I am off to get a relay and a pile of wires before I change the horn!

Glad I asked.

Ah-ha! Looks like those changing from the standard horn need to be careful. I suppose the only thing we can do is see if Skoda UK can come up with an alternative horn that could be made available via the accessory catalogue.

There's no harm in asking.

Jo

As long as you fit a relay between the horn connector and new horn there shouldn't be a problem, the dealer tells me.

Aparently the same issue exists if changing headlight bulbs, they must not be of higher wattage than the originals.

I've been reading around on the internet to find out more about this CAN bus thingy - what I've found out so far is that it's appeared on cars since 2005 and it seems to be a lot more sophisticated than the previous technology.

Would the CAN bus also be sensitive to anything plugged into the 12V socket? I have a little tyre inflator compressor thing as I'm too petite to use a foot pump. What about in-car chargers for mobile phones and things like that?

Any CAN bus gurus out there?

Jo

• 1 year later...

I don't drive aggressively and rarely want/need to use the horn, but I entirely agree that the standard fit horn is totally pathetic and not suitable for its purpose. I would very much like to be able to simply replace the standard horn with a replacement that was ideally the same as the one on our Octavia - I don't want an air horn or the like, just a horn that will do the job like any normal car...

I have spoken to skoda about the ant sized horn in the new fabia. Aparently it is controlled by a computer box thing and draws very little current at all, therefore has NO RELAY!!!

The guy in the service department said that the circuit would only be suitable as a switching circuit for a relay, and that any current draw over and above the standard horn would risk breaking the computer box thing.

He also took pride in telling me that an excessive current draw would void warranty cover and the computer box thing replacement cost is huge!

So I am off to get a relay and a pile of wires before I change the horn!

Glad I asked.

The horn circuit is protected by a 20 amp fuse, and there is a relay integrated in the J519 / "computer box thing" , so I wouldn't worry to much about fitting a horn from an Octavia.

I've been reading around on the internet to find out more about this CAN bus thingy - what I've found out so far is that it's appeared on cars since 2005 and it seems to be a lot more sophisticated than the previous technology.

Would the CAN bus also be sensitive to anything plugged into the 12V socket? I have a little tyre inflator compressor thing as I'm too petite to use a foot pump. What about in-car chargers for mobile phones and things like that?

Any CAN bus gurus out there?

Jo

Because the Fabia MKII is based on the old Fabia it still uses the older K-Line system and has not been migrated to CAN-BUS as per the Golf MK5 platform and new Polo/Ibiza e.t.c

I have shorted out the 12v cigar lighter many times (Dont ask!) and all it ever does is blow the fuse. Given that a new ECU is very expensive it's not suprised that it's quite well protected. Despite all of this it sits in the engine bay where it is exposed to water :doh: