Farewell

Just sold my Octavia L&K after a few weeks. No reason other than it was planned to be that way from the outset (part-chopped it against my newer Volvo estate to release some cash and now going for a bigger/older family holdall type car as a third car just for the weekend/holiday type 'chuck-it-all-in' type usage).

I'd always recognised Skoda's as 'good cars', just wasn't prepared to sink my own cash into one. However I wasn't disappointed.

Mine was a 2.0TDi L&K hatch. Have to admit that if it was an estate I'd probably be keeping it. Even my anti-Skoda wife thinks its a good car after driving it (but would still swop it for a year older, 20k more 1.9 Passat, driven by 'image' as she is on car badges).

I've told everybody who'll listen to 'try one and see' but IMO the badge is STILL a big issue to most people. (My B-in-L genuinely thinks his 115bhp 1.9TD 1997 Passat is a "much better car still".....uh??)

Is likely to be replaced by a Merc C270 or E270. They will have 60 to 100k on the clock, be a couple of years older but cost a couple of grand less than I got for the Octy. I can already guess what most my friends/colleagues/neighbours will say "ooooh, you've moved up to a lovely Merc'"........that's how it is to most people still.

I will always consider a Fabia now though as my wife is thinking of something slightly bigger than her Pug 107 so I "may be back"..

Good luck and safe motoring everybody - I'll pop in and out for a while I'm sure.:cool:

All the best, with your new "older" car.

Mileage seems academic when you look at a Merc with a bigger engine. Just remember that merc technicians (Mechanics) only use gold plated tools (at the customers expense)

Good luck again,

G.K.

That was a short term owner!

I have a neighbour with a new E class diesel and a work colleague with a 2 year old C class hatch thingy - unfortunatly nothing but problems - the 90's models were far far better built.

Best of luck though :thumbup:

See ya later, just remember to become best friends with the mechanics, the merc will be at their garage a lot due to their build quality....

:)

Guy's, until I was used to Forums and how they work the first one I registered with (For Smart) nearly scared me to death as I'd already bought the car and thought "OMG - what have I done". I then realised the old adage of 'bad news is told to ten people and good news to one' also applies to people who LOVE their cars (and 'love' was oft quoted with Smart owners.....:P)

Same with Merc's except I did the research first - go post 2004 and they get better, avoid X, make sure you get Y, etc. and chances are you'll get a good 'un - a million taxi drivers can't be wrong (same reputation Skoda's are getting it seems? :))

Menu pricing and indy dealers make it, on paper at least, viable (not that I thought Skoda service was cheap BTW and I got seventy quid off). I am, however, putting a grand aside for any 'bad day':rolleyes:

However, you have a new supporter of Skoda - just today in a car-park I showed a bloke around mine telling him the virtues of Skoda generally and pointing out for my L&K 2.0TDi car he could instead have a 2 year, 20k older Passat with the old 1.9 engine and minus many of the luxuries - he was impressed.

Good luck to all of you and you're on my toolbar so I will dip in again and stick my 2 penn'orth in (that's if I let you talk to me, me being a Merc' owner of course;))

Good luck and hope to see you back

:thumbup:

Personally I can't quite get over the ignorance of some people with badge snobbery (respect to your mrs :D)

Had a few people look at mine and the recon its superb. No I said...an Octavia...BOOM BOOM! :rofl:

Chris

Make sure you stick around and let us know how the three pointed star goes.

Loads of people on here have non Skoda cars and they still post on a regular basis.

I think you hold the record for the shortest ownership of a Skoda that didn't involve a rejection.

Enjoy your 'posh' Merc :thumbup:

May not be a Merc' yet, thats just the one that kept 'coming top' in all my search parameters. Also considering Audi A6 and BMW 5 series. Volvo V70 is in with a look-in (although I've had 5 T5's and XC70's and interior quality isn't very robust) and today I test drove a wild-card Subaru Legacy.

Only issues with the Scooby is petrol only and the dealer told porkies (or didn't know his brand) over the C02 emmisions as the 3 litre is in band G taxation....ouch. However £3k cheaper or 3 years newer than the alternative mentioned 'premium' brands - I must have got a lets-be-different gene from the Skoda ownership!!!!

Skud is still on the drive as new owner left deposit before going on hols so I promised I wouldn't do my house/garden clearance before handing it over....he he

The Legacy and Outback are available with a 2.0D boxer diesel developing 150PS and 350Nm of torque, although the info I have doesn't give a release date.... My old team lead has the 3.0 Spec B and is still very happy with it. He came from an Audi :eek:

Chris

The Legacy and Outback are available with a 2.0D boxer diesel developing 150PS and 350Nm of torque, although the info I have doesn't give a release date.... My old team lead has the 3.0 Spec B and is still very happy with it. He came from an Audi :eek:

Chris

I have a confession to make, I too have crossed over to a Legacy 3.0R Spec B (Tourer) from my Octavia estate. There, I feel much better for outing myself! The Octavia is a very good car but the quality and engineering integrity of the Legacy is IMO compelling. Anyway not going to promote it here so I'm off to fill it up (again). Any offers for a boot full of those Ferrari models that come with each 30 litres of V Power? :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's it - the Skud has gone. New owner returned off holiday and came up from IOW to collect last night with a huge pile of notes in his pocket. Nice bloke and I've given him the site details to get in touch so hopefully he'll enter the foray in the near future.

Also I've realised what an excellent site this is having logged onto a Merc' one (the brand I've defected to, but also previously been part of a Smart site and a Pug 107 site - both really good), friendly enough but probably smaller population so not half as chatty as you lot - this is an excellent site people and a great bunch of (generally) non judgemental people giving good solid advice not tainted by rose-hued optical appliances