New Octavia at dealers

My Dealer phoned me yesterday to tell me that my new Octy is waiting for me :D

It originally wasn't due until the first week in May, but it's arrived early. So I am going to take a peep at her tomorrow on the way back from church, and hand over will be on 6th May.

Can't wait!

lol. What you brought.

Mine left the factory on the 15th, and it's waiting to get put on a boat to cross the channel as of yesterday morning.

I'm looking at around the 6th too.

It's a brand-new Satin Grey Elegance Estate 1.9Tdi with privacy galss, maxidot, Hid headlights, light assist, tyre pressure thingy and multi-function steering wheel. The dealer is offering a 145bhp upgrade on all 1.9 Tdi engines in Octavias and Fabia Sports, which does not infringe the warranty.

......Oh YES!

Popped in to see the car - look great, well, as good as any car can look covered in white tape and cling-film!

At least they got the specs right - it seems to have all the extra stuff on it.

Am now going to pick her up on Saturday. Will be sorry to lose the 06 Octy I currently have; if the new one is half as good, I shall be very gruntled!

It's a brand-new Satin Grey Elegance Estate 1.9Tdi with privacy galss, maxidot, Hid headlights, light assist, tyre pressure thingy and multi-function steering wheel. The dealer is offering a 145bhp upgrade on all 1.9 Tdi engines in Octavias and Fabia Sports, which does not infringe the warranty.

......Oh YES!

Who is your dealer please? I wonder how long till power upgrades are offered by most dealers? Thanks:)

The dealer is offering a 145bhp upgrade on all 1.9 Tdi engines in Octavias and Fabia Sports, which does not infringe the warranty.

......Oh YES!

That isn't entirely the case I wouldn't think.

The dealer will be taking a chance, they will probably process claims on a no questions asked basis within the dealership. If you went to another dealers it might not be the same case.

The dealer in question is Winchester Motor Company, and they initially offer the 145bhp upgrade on the Fabia Sport (mainly I think due to the lack of a Vrs - which is still at least a year off) but obviously, the 'upgrade' is available for all 1.9Tdi engines, as fitted in other models, and they have done a few.

I have checked and they are unequivocal that the warranty is not affected as far as the end user is concerned. How they deal with SUK on warranty claims is unknown, as they haven't had any yet! No doubt when you ask for the upgrade, there is a receipt to detail what has been done, and if there were to be a problem, I would not forsee any argy-bargy with it. They are a reputable and fair-minded dealer, and I have bought two new Octavias from them and I have my servicing done there on my Vrs Fabia as well.

My dealer says that a lot of other dealers are resorting to upgrades and other techniques to capture what little business there is at the moment. The 2.0 diesel engine is significantly more expensive than the 1.9, and in many respects, not as good, reliable or economical and the upgrade more than equals it in power terms. After I run the new car in, I shall be getting my fully warrantied upgrade too!

The dealer in question is Winchester Motor Company, and they initially offer the 145bhp upgrade on the Fabia Sport (mainly I think due to the lack of a Vrs) but obviously, the 'upgrade' is available for all 1.9Tdi engines, as fitted in other models, and they have done a few. Apparently, it is done by 'someone who comes in'. (person unknown)

I have checked and they are unequivocal that the warranty is not affected as far as the end user is concerned. How they deal with SUK on warranty claims is unknown, as they haven't had any yet! No doubt when you ask for the upgrade, there is a receipt to detail what has been done, and if there were to be a problem, I would not forsee any argy-bargy with it. They are a reputable and fair-minded dealer, and I have bought two new Octavias from them and I have my servicing done there on my Vrs Fabia as well.

I think they use REVO, thay have been mapping cars for retail for quite some time.

I would be very careful with the warranty situation, I will be right in what I'm saying that if SUK get wind of the car being modified they will refuse to pay out on any affected items. A salesman will tell you everything you want to hear when it comes to taking your money but it may not be exactly how it pans out.

Ask them to provide, in writing, that you will have full warranty cover - at any UK dealer in the network - regardless of the modifications. I'd be surprised if they do. Just to confirm and put your mind at rest place a call to Skoda UK customer services.

I'm not scare mongering nor trying to put you off but what I am keen to do is make sure that you aren't mislead. It's quite simply and clearly defined in the Skoda UK New Car Warranty conditions, you are not covered by them.

Supposing you are on holiday, in Inverness for instance, and the local dealer takes your car in for a blown turbo - Who foots the bill?

Several Skoda Dealers are infact REVO dealers as well, so it isn't uncommon to have car mapped by a main dealer but you must be sure that they will back up their claims.

Thanks for that Stu, and wise words indeed! In fact I wouldn't be considering an upgrade unless pretty much all the parameters you speak of are met, but you are right to flag them up nonetheless. I would suggest only that the dealer must be giving something over and above the customer just going to a chipping company directly and getting the work done. Needless to say, with a new car costing the thick edge of £17,000 of my money, I would research this thoroughly, of course, and naturally would suggest that others should do the same. I also wouldn't consider it until the car was suitably run in.

I would agree with the great advice on Revo and warranty.

I will be honest and say I run a Skoda dealership and we are Revo dealers. The reality is that we are the ones that diagnose / fix and submit a warranty claim. It can of course then be rejected and we foot the bill. If the brand can link any aspect of a claim to the fact the car has been modified in anyway, they will of course reject the claim.

Any guarantees that Winchester or I or any other dealers put on modified cars to supplement the manufacturer's warranty are at our own expense and terms, there is no other way around it and would always insist on something in black and white.

I will be honest and say I run a Skoda dealership and we are Revo dealers. The reality is that we are the ones that diagnose / fix and submit a warranty claim. It can of course then be rejected and we foot the bill. If the brand can link any aspect of a claim to the fact the car has been modified in anyway, they will of course reject the claim.

Any guarantees that Winchester or I or any other dealers put on modified cars to supplement the manufacturer's warranty are at our own expense and terms, there is no other way around it and would always insist on something in black and white.

Nice answer from hopefully someone with a good knowledge on this subject.

Thanks

Plain speaking from the horses' mouth (and thank you for that!) at last on this rather contentious issue. We all want remaps, don't we folks, and we're all a little scared about what it'll do to our cars, aren't we folks!

But, do the dealers who are operating this principle have an 'insurance' for possible troubles or do they just take it on the chin?

Well here we are at handover day. The new Octy was prepared beautifully by the dealer (seeing as the last time I saw it, it was covered in protective film)

Pictures: In the first picture, my 'old' 06 model is at the front, with my little boy, the 'new' 08 at the back. The second is the old 06 model, and the third with swimbo!

21317.attach

21318.attach

21319.attach

• 5 weeks later...