vRS buying guide **Please read**

Is there a sticky thread anywhere as to the likely pipe locations where the rear screen wash usually leaks from ? :) I saw reference to a sticky for a Fabia but couldn't find it. Just bought an 03 VRS Octavia and it's perfect bar the lack of screen wash from the rear wiper :)

It's most likely the join next to the N/S rear arch behind the boot carpet. Pull all the carpet away from the side and you'll find it along with the wiring loom. And probably a puddle under the CD changer if you've tried spraying it much.

Just to say thank you for such a comprehensive and informed post. The future purchase of a Skoda (and subsequent recommendation to this site from a dude on our VW forum) led me to this forum and because of the helpfulness here i've not had to ask.

Hopefully an update shortly about the purchase, by a mk1 Octy VRs is high on the list having ruled out a Felicia based project.

• 1 month later...

Just to let anyone know, There was a recall on the coil packs for the 1.8t vrs earlier this year. so make sure this is done before you get it.

Brilliant guide mate.

• 3 months later...

Excellent guide and came in very handy when I went to view a vrs mk1 today in London. Due to traffic (!) I couldn't get much above 50 but drove well and bodywork was good. I'd really appreciate some help from those in the know though - the faults I spotted were drivers door central locking wouldn't work along with driver's electric mirror not working. Does anyone have a ballpark figure/experience of getting these fixed? Also there was an advisory on last mot that front brakes slightly imbalanced and need adjustment. Anyone had a similar problem?

Otherwise cambelt done 2 years ago and drove nicely on test drive. Many thanks for any help to a newbie!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks ok mate, the red looks quite faded on the pictures though...best thing to do is just to use this guide, read it and then make sure you drive the car! 

If anything seems off then walk away!

• 8 months later...

Just one question if you do very low mileage ie 3000 miles a year are you saying that a car with 12.000 miles on the clock needs a new cam belt .it may be the official line but is it really needed.Its like a main dealer service they charge for everything every twelve months. My other car is done by a independant and they check everything but only change and charge for what is actualy needed. Yes i know rubber detereates but in 12000 miles i doubt it.It wont effect any warranty either as its only 3yrs.

• 8 months later...

Just bought a 18t 4x4 hatch 2002. 70k on loads done, new bushes all round new full suspension, new brakes including callipers x 4. New wheels & tyres. Now abs light esp light and poor radio reception .. It says wiring fault in system. Any ideas guys. Getting radio sometimes but weak signal. I thought an earth problem but with abs & esp lights on it must be wiring. Any body come across this . cheers.

• 3 months later...

Check the fuse box above the battery - if it's melted/melting the alternator Loom is old and resistance has built up causing this issue. I found out the hard way, bought a 2003 vRS lately it broke down driving home one evening, dash lights all came on, headlights dipped and fuel pump cut - thought I was buggered. Replaced the fuse box and alternator loom and she's running fine with no overheating across the fuse box at all. 

• 2 months later...

hey great guide mate but failed to mention expensive to tax!! ive recently taxed mine as only had car for 8 months and was shocked at how much i had to pay,its not so bad because of the new law that you can pay by direct debit but nearly £300 a year is far too expensive.also the coil packs can be replaced by main dealer as there was a recall on them.i had all 4 changed 2 months ago.but apart from that a great car for the money.

To be honest it depends how you view it.

I'll happily pay a small amount to buy the car outright and then 280 tax each year over forking out 200+ Each month for a boring, bland new hatch that I won't own after three years but is next to nothing to tax.

hey great guide mate but failed to mention expensive to tax!! ive recently taxed mine as only had car for 8 months and was shocked at how much i had to pay,its not so bad because of the new law that you can pay by direct debit but nearly £300 a year is far too expensive.

That's more a failure on your part than an omission in the buying guide. The tax on these is comparable to or better than other cars of this age with similar performance.

hey listen i wasnt dissing any guide all i said was it is in a high tax bracket .apart from that the car is a great bargain for what you get.and what you on about a failure on my part??a failure in what??

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, glad to read about the air con flap thing as my passenger footwell is always making noises which im guessing is this but also my blower will pulse with air con on at high blower settings, is this related-normal as well?

• ColinD unpinned this topic