1.8 TSI DSG gearbox

Does anyone have any idea why I can feel what appears to be light clutch judder when accelerating in traffic from low speeds in 2nd gear in Auto mode? It has come on in the last 3000 miles, seems slightly worse as the miles have gone on, and is possibly worse with a load on board. I haven't noticed it in other gears from low revs, and I haven't been able to replicate it in manual. It is a 7 speed box, the car has done 15000 miles, and this is my 3rd car with a DSG box. I am getting ready to have it looked at under warranty, but I don't hold out much hope of an answer as it probably feels a minor problem to others. My concern is that if this is an indication of future problems, Murphy's Law says it will occur out of warranty.

Thanks. I was rather hoping someone would say "it's no problem". There is still 13 months left on the warranty, so I guess I will have to start the ball rolling and get one of the local dealers to look at it.

Thanks. I was rather hoping someone would say "it's no problem". There is still 13 months left on the warranty, so I guess I will have to start the ball rolling and get one of the local dealers to look at it.

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same car with exactly the same mileage! I had mine looked at and a tech came out for a drive with me. Sods law it didnt do it. If its any consolation mine has done it for 7 months now and got no worse, sometimes it doesnt do it, sometimes the car shakes violenty, sometimes its just a mildly annoying judder. Like you say its always in second gear, usually worse with a heavy load and usually worse when pulling up an incline.

Mine is under warrenty and I will let them look at again when I have time. They suspected a the Mechatronics units but need to prove it bore Skoda will authorise repair. Im not too worried as will be getting rid before the warrenty is up.

Let me know if your dealership comes up with anything and ill let you know if mines gets sorted.

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same car with exactly the same mileage! I had mine looked at and a tech came out for a drive with me. Sods law it didnt do it. If its any consolation mine has done it for 7 months now and got no worse, sometimes it doesnt do it, sometimes the car shakes violenty, sometimes its just a mildly annoying judder. Like you say its always in second gear, usually worse with a heavy load and usually worse when pulling up an incline.

Mine is under warrenty and I will let them look at again when I have time. They suspected a the Mechatronics units but need to prove it bore Skoda will authorise repair. Im not too worried as will be getting rid before the warrenty is up.

Let me know if your dealership comes up with anything and ill let you know if mines gets sorted.

Thanks OCScene for your heads-up. It has never been a violent judder on my car, but I know it's there and, like yours, I suspect that nothing will get sorted. I will almost certainly change before the warranty is up, but i fancy something smaller and the Fabia doesn't cut it for me.

This is my first Skoda and despite the potential problem with the DSG, (my third car fitted with this box), I would consider another Octavia, (if I don't downsize), if only to tick off the other half. She is an enormous badge snob!

I have just remembered that the car did give a violent judder the other day. I was turning right from a T junction on a wet road at a normal pace and the car felt like it was suffering axle tramp for a second or two. I put that down to the road conditions and a rough surface. It hasn't happened since so maybe it is connected.

I bought this model on a whim, but by the cringe it doesn't half fly when you give it some welly. The fuel economy isn't bad either, I get about 37 brim to brim in the summer.

I bought this model on a whim, but by the cringe it doesn't half fly when you give it some welly. The fuel economy isn't bad either, I get about 37 brim to brim in the summer.

:thumbup: +1

Shame about your problems - hope you get 'em sorted.

Thanks OCScene for your heads-up. It has never been a violent judder on my car, but I know it's there and, like yours, I suspect that nothing will get sorted. I will almost certainly change before the warranty is up, but i fancy something smaller and the Fabia doesn't cut it for me.

This is my first Skoda and despite the potential problem with the DSG, (my third car fitted with this box), I would consider another Octavia, (if I don't downsize), if only to tick off the other half. She is an enormous badge snob!

Keep in touch if you do get to the bottom of the problem, Im begininng to lose a little of the excitement and confidence that the car first gave me, it rattles, it squeaks, it judders, its not overly well put together and has the odd intermittant fault like the Bolero not powering up for a day or so then sparking back into life for a month or two, the parking sensors not always activating when selecting reverse and the Climate fan occasionally having a 5 minute 'episode' where it blows on full then slow , full then slow and it cant be turned off! . Its a fairly quick car and nice enough to drive and with winter tyres it performed ok in the snow last winter. I change my car for a new one every 2-3 years and I keep poking back to Skoda but my heart really lies with the current Ford range so think ill be buying a Mondeo or Focus estate next. Im also intresting the new Hyundai i40 tourer.

Also the fuel economy is starting to bite into the pocket. Back to a dirty Diesel for me next time.

Cjris

Keep in touch if you do get to the bottom of the problem, Im begininng to lose a little of the excitement and confidence that the car first gave me, it rattles, it squeaks, it judders, its not overly well put together and has the odd intermittant fault like the Bolero not powering up for a day or so then sparking back into life for a month or two, the parking sensors not always activating when selecting reverse and the Climate fan occasionally having a 5 minute 'episode' where it blows on full then slow , full then slow and it cant be turned off! . Its a fairly quick car and nice enough to drive and with winter tyres it performed ok in the snow last winter. I change my car for a new one every 2-3 years and I keep poking back to Skoda but my heart really lies with the current Ford range so think ill be buying a Mondeo or Focus estate next. Im also intresting the new Hyundai i40 tourer.

Also the fuel economy is starting to bite into the pocket. Back to a dirty Diesel for me next time.

Cjris

Like you I tend to change cars before the warranty expires, but this time I am at a loss as to what I want. The potential problem with this gearbox makes me wary of having another, but trying to find something with a more conventional torque converter type at a sensible price seems impossible. I don't need an automatic, but I find it easier these days to use them. Unlike the 2 Mk 5 Golfs I had previously, this one doesn't rattle and I haven't needed any warranty work. I feel sympathy for you for the problems you are having, particularly if your dealer is as confidence inspiring as the one that supplied mine. Luckily a new one opened up within driving distance and the service work they completed was more than satisfactory. I can't get the car to the dealer for a few weeks, but when I do I'll put up an update on any positive response.

Granpaj

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have a 1.4 TSI DSG that suffers from the same thing. I have taken it to the dealer and they noticed the vibrations - it is like the car does not shift to 2 gear straight away. - it is only on the second gear when I am pulling away (especially uphill and with heavy load) . they plugged in the comp but nothing came up. they sent the data to skoda to find out what to do. advice so far is that they will send real data to skoda again so they have more data to look at.

informally they let me know that eventually it will come down to 3 things - they will reset the gearbox so it learns again, if it does not help they will replace the electronics on the gearbox, and if that does not help replace the gearbox. good that my octy is still on warranty.

Get your dealer to do a factory reset of the box - it sorted it on mine.

Thanks chaps. The one thing I dread is the modern car electronics. It seems that if their gizmo doesn't point out the problem, then you have to hope total failure occurs within the warranty period. The car goes in for its second annual service in a month so I'll see what they say.

I must admit that I am getting itchy feet again, and I think I may move it on. Octavia again or Yeti? Maybe I should go back to a manual.

I drive alot with this gearbox and carry heavy loads.

I get the same violent judder as well, i have concluded it happens after getting hot, once you turn the engine off for a few minutes and take off again the judder disappears.

I assume this is because of the dry clutches, its quite common for them to do that when they get hot.

I drive alot with this gearbox and carry heavy loads.

I get the same violent judder as well, i have concluded it happens after getting hot, once you turn the engine off for a few minutes and take off again the judder disappears.

I assume this is because of the dry clutches, its quite common for them to do that when they get hot.

A fine theory except mine managed a perfect 12000 miles without a single judder...............

My local dealer are taking my car in at the start of January for upto a week to get this sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and girls

This is my first post on this forum, but I have a DSG gearbox problem that might have occurred to others or may occur to others.

I'm seeking advice on this forum. Skoda is a relatively new brand in Australia and the Skoda Australia forum boasts about seven members.

So local expertise is somewhat limited ... which sadly my dealer is demonstrating.

I have a Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI DSG first registered in Australia in January 2010.

It has always suffered a bit of shudder in city traffic, particularly in second gear.

Well a feature of the DSG gearbox I thought, every vehicle has pros and cons and this appears to be a con of the DSG fitted Skoda.

Except that the other evening my gearbox packed it in entirely.

I have 40,000 km on the clock, under warranty and just had a dealer service.

The ESP light came on as I was driving and the engine started revving as though it was in neutral.

I pulled over to the side of the road and put it into Park.

Then it would not restart. Nor could the gearbox be shifted out of Park.

The ESP light was on and then gearbox selector light was flashing.

Using the emergency manual disengagement I managed to shift it out of park into neutral, but the engine refuses to start in park or neutral.

A blown 15 amp fuse was found, which related to the gearbox, the fuse was replaced but then blew again immediately.

The car was towed to the dealers.

It's now been there for a week.

I have been given a courtesy car; but the dealer doesn't seem to be able to fix the frozen DSG....

Any experience of this, dear forum members and any suggestions?? Responses will be most gratefully received. Thanks

The juddering on mine has now become quite pronounced when going from 1st - 2nd, but it's intermittent.

I'll keep on going, but I get the feeling that this maybe expensive, but this should be happening with a car that's 25 months old & barely 11,000miles on the clock!

I don't think it is.

Some people go thousands of miles without the slightest bump, jerk or stutter, whilst some get it.

Mine has only just started to do it, so I'll see if I can get Garland Motors to (reset?) the boxes memory and see if that improves it, I hope it does as I'm off to Belgium the next day!

I'd been considering a 1.8TSI 7 speed DSG not so sure now, is this a common problem?

http://www.dsgproblems.co.uk/index.php

Do not think so. On my third DSG, two 6 speed and now the 7 speed. Done 42,000 miles in 12 months in my 1.8 TSI and I absolutely thrash mine.

Unit can get confused for a few tenths of a second if you manually shift from Auto to Sport to Triptonic to Paddles and computer takes a while re-configure.

These units are rated for 400,000 Kms of normal driving but like all thing have the occasional issue and I always get rid of them at 100,000 Km, 60,000 miles as can be expensive if you get DSG or turbo issues. Hope VW, Audi, Skoda will go to 100,000 miles warranty soon but they would probalby have to raise the selling price by 5 or 10% to cover.

Edited by lol

The car was towed to the dealers.

It's now been there for a week.

I have been given a courtesy car; but the dealer doesn't seem to be able to fix the frozen DSG....

I'm pleased to advise my frozen DSG has now been fixed. This is what the dealer did:

Replaced transmission mechatronic unit, carried out software upgrade, reset system & carried out basic setting testing

Parts:

SKOAM325025DZ1C MECHATRONIC x1

SKG052171A2 TRANSMISSION x1

NGH1402 PRONG FUSE x1

SKWHT001922 BOLT x4

SK01X301127C ROUND HD x3

SKG052171A2 TRANSMISSION x1

(The production date of my Octavia is 01/07/09 1.8TSI 118kw)

Driving now it is noticeably smoother with less 'grabby' characteristics than previously.

I list the above as it may help other members, and although these parts are for the Australian market, it's probably the same elsewhere.

Was at the dealer 10 days but it seems good now - dealer is Northshore Skoda of Sydney.

Seems that a faulty gearbox mechatronic unit was the main problem.