Diesel in oil after injector change

Hi guys

I'm really new to this site but have owned my 07 plate octavia vrs PD for about 8 months.

I recieved a letter in the post from Vosa saying that my car was one of the ones with the problem injectors.

I booked into sherlodge skoda no problem and they fitted the new injectors the same day. Happy days. However, since then my car has been running with a very slight roughy idle on start and occasionally sitting in traffic you'll feel it miss. Then followed the heavy blue smoke mainly again at idle but people have told me that under acceleration they can also see it.

So back it goes to sherlodge today, they have informed me that the oil is well above max, which is funny as when I took it to them prior to the replacement injectors going in it was just under a quarter. I'm guessing that this has been a diesel leak from one of the new seals on the injectors.

What I wonder is the damage that has been done by all that diesel in the oil. Any advice or help with this please. As they are saying they'll drain it out top up with new and replace the seals. I just worried about the potential damage to the turbo etc. any help please. Thanks

If your turbo has been running on mixed derv/oil and you're seeing blue out of the back, the chances are that there is enough derv in the oil to have goosed the bearings.

I'd have to say that if it was my car, I'd want the turbo changed, an oil change and a commitment on problems with the engine going forward.

Also what about the CAT and DPF?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

When I bought the car the guy who had it before me fitted a delete pipe so think that rules any problems with that out.

Would the dealer bend if I insisted that I wanted the turbo changed?

Join the club slick.

My vRS had the injectors done last year and I'm still suffering with problems...

Cold starting, lumpy idle, stalling, rising oil level etc. etc.

My turbo went pop shortly afterwards. Coincidence? I'll never know.

Read here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/225971-gritty-oil/page__hl__gritty%20oil

Nick P

Just watched your video. It's not as bad as that if anything mine is very subdued with an occasional blip, once I hit the throttle it'll clear but if im sitting in traffic it'll start again and if uncorrected carry on getting worst until I rev it.

Update... I recieved a call from the garage. They state that they have checked everything that they have done previously on the injector replacement and then replaced the injector seals but they can't find anything wrong. They then said as a matter of courtesy we have replaced the oil and filter for you. I then enquired with them if they had taken a sample of the oil for analysis obviously the reply was no.

I then asked about the possibility of wear on the turbo due to the diesel in the oil to which they stated that they didn't road test the car prior to the initial injector fit and therefore can not comment. I'm fuming and in two minds to collect the car from them or leave it there and call skoda uk.

Update... I recieved a call from the garage. They state that they have checked everything that they have done previously on the injector replacement and then replaced the injector seals but they can't find anything wrong. They then said as a matter of courtesy we have replaced the oil and filter for you. I then enquired with them if they had taken a sample of the oil for analysis obviously the reply was no.

I then asked about the possibility of wear on the turbo due to the diesel in the oil to which they stated that they didn't road test the car prior to the initial injector fit and therefore can not comment. I'm fuming and in two minds to collect the car from them or leave it there and call skoda uk.

I'd get skoda customer services involved, because if they have not kept a sample of the oil, then it's not a good thing IMHO.

If your oil level has raised since the injector swap then its almost certain the head is damaged either by them doing the swap or possibly damaged from the factory. These engines had a run of 'bad heads' over a series of years which lead to cracks & other damage in the cylinder head. In my case they reckon that the head was damaged from the factory (ovalled injector seating) & that over the years this 'oval' was blocked by the soot & carbon from the combustion in the cylinder to give a good seal on the injector until they rewmoved them for the swap, which then removed the build up & allowed the injector to start leaking diesel into the oil...

Personally I think thats bull as the car would never have got through QC from the factory at any stage of manufacture if that was true, however, it did result in me getting an entire new cylinder head assembly & injectors fitted for free.

I can share your pain, I too asked for a sample of the oil to be kept before they swapped out the oil and filter.

When I collected the car guess what, yep, they'd 'forgotten'.

The only difference was I had to pay for my oil and filter change!

It amazes me that you take your much loved and looked after car to a dealer for diagnosis/repair thinking that they too share your passion for the brand they work for (which ever it may be) only to find that the "expert techs" know absolutely sweet FA and will do everything they can to lie cheat and disguise problems which they have clearly created! Goes to show your better off buying a Haynes manual and a hammer as you'd most prob do less damage! Bit of an exaggeration I know but hey.

Just rang Skoda UK to give them the brief circumstances so we shall see what they say.... Updates to follow....

Thanks to all of you that have already posted.

Right update....

Skoda had the car for 2 days checked the injector seals and reported nothing wrong. They also changed the oil and oil filter which they said was absolutely filthy ( its only been in 6 mths tops). I then made a point of asking how high they filled the oil to which the service guy said he'd checked it himself and it was bang on max. So I checked it prior to leaving and sure enough bang on max.

I have now driven 100 miles over 4 days. The car is smoking again and has the odd blip during running coupled with a jerking/kangaroo it driven steady in 2nd at about 1700-2000rpm.

Checked the oil today after leaving it rest all day and it about 5mm over the max line at the top of the ball.

I have rung the dealer to which they said they'll measure the oil and send a report off to skoda techs in Milton Keynes. So I called skoda uk only for them to tell me that technically the dealer can refuse to work on the car as it has a DPF delete kit on it and isn't standard.

Quite annoyed to be honest but we'll see where this goes?

Any advice people?

Cheers.

Refer Skoda UK to me and the two or three other members on here that are experiencing rising oil levels after the injector change.

I even have an open case with them for the very same issue as you so you might want to ask them about the other owners they're dealing with who are experiencing the same issues!

The DPF delete has nothing to do with it as my car has the DPF still in place.

Refer Skoda UK to me and the two or three other members on here that are experiencing rising oil levels after the injector change.

I even have an open case with them for the very same issue as you so you might want to ask them about the other owners they're dealing with who are experiencing the same issues!

The DPF delete has nothing to do with it as my car has the DPF still in place.

I'm not sure referring Skoda to other members will do any good, I know in ireland dealers hate car forums and any time u mention a forum they say don't believe anything u read on car forums or u will never buy a car! Maybe is differant in the uk tho.

Whenever I've spoken to Skoda UK with a problem on my car they always provide the default answer - "Hmm, yours is the first car we've heard of with this problem".

Sometimes I'm sure its accurate, more often than not I bet it isn't.

There have been several threads on here this year with the after effects of the injector change. Yes some of you have had no issues, your lucky, a lot haven't been so fortunate.

My cold starting issue is still rumbling on. I revived a thread earlier this year from 2006 where at least 5 or 6 PD170 vRS owners had been in touch with Skoda UK with the same fault. Even before I'd rung Skoda I knew they'd tell me that they'd never heard of the problem before and sure enough they did.

It may not be appropriate in all cases but sometimes telling Skoda that you already know that this isn't an isolated problem and that there are several other frustrated owners out there keen for a fix helps to move things along.

The VOSA enforced injector recall was partly brought about by a select few of very determined forum members.

Touch wood, no.

It does whistle from cold for the first few miles and is then silent.

I'm still not 100% happy as the original was near silent all of the time until it failed. I do accept that no two turbo's sound the same though.

I'm picking it up tomorrow after they've had a chance to road test it from cold so will know more then.

I had my injectors done under recall at the beginning of Dec, didn't think anything of it until I read on here of the rising oil level problem. So I checked my oil level, and guess what, oil level is above max but only just. I had to take my car to skoda about 5 weeks ago because the lamba sensor had gone and I did mention about the oil level a nd they said it was nothing to worry about, I also asked my mate who is a mechanic and he said the same. Car has done 8k since the injectors were done and its running fine...( touch wood) !

Anything to worry about ?

I had my injectors done under recall at the beginning of Dec, didn't think anything of it until I read on here of the rising oil level problem. So I checked my oil level, and guess what, oil level is above max but only just. I had to take my car to skoda about 5 weeks ago because the lamba sensor had gone and I did mention about the oil level a nd they said it was nothing to worry about, I also asked my mate who is a mechanic and he said the same. Car has done 8k since the injectors were done and its running fine...( touch wood) !

Anything to worry about ?

Probably not unless oil was very low before, I would just monitor it and make sure it isn't still going up. May even just have been overfilled slightly at last service.