Haldex unit

Yety

I've seen no mention of Haldex servicing on here.

In the Haldex blurb it says the oil and filter should be replaced every 20,000 miles.

I think I read somewhere that re-filling is a bit tricky, squirting the oil in and stuff the filler/level plug in quick before it all dribbles back out?

If so, do the dealers have the kit to do this correctly? My local dealer doesn't fill me with confidence that they could do this correctly - anyone any experience to allay my fears if the above is correct?

The dealer WILL have the correct kit. Independent VAG garages MAY have the correct kit too, so ask and confirm they have done one before.

I don't have your faith :giggle:

I'm looking for a diagram of the Haldex unit for a Dec 2011 Yeti to see if I can spot a filler/level plug as well as the drain plug - anyone?

You didn't state the engine or gearbox codess but here is a picture that should help http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/5837349082_71233b3003_b.jpg

To do the job you will need a filling adapter and must replace the sealing ring on the drain plug. There is a filter but I haven't seen any recommendation to change it with every oil change.

• Like 1

You didn't state the engine or gearbox codess but here is a picture that should help http://farm4.static....1233b3003_b.jpg

To do the job you will need a filling adapter and must replace the sealing ring on the drain plug. There is a filter but I haven't seen any recommendation to change it with every oil change.

Thanks for the picture.

When you say filling adapter, do you mean a way of squirting the oil in through the filler hole?

I did say above a Dec 2011 110 diesel - can't get out in the rain to have a look at the numbers on the unit :giggle:

In the Haldex stuff it says oil and filter every 20,000 miles. The filter needs a special angled spanner, but otherwise looks pretty straightforward

Check my posting history it's not really expensive i had mine done by the main dealer , Marlborough Skoda in Isleworth

12 May 2012 - 18:32

I had mine changed by Marlborough Skoda in isleworth west london at just over 40,000 the surprise was what i thought a very reasonable price it was about £74.00 , this sort of pricing you dont mind following the srvice interval recommendations.

Peter

Pretty sure without getting the service book out it's 60,000 km between Haldex oil changes on the Yeti with the GEN IV system.

In the UK with my previous Haldex GEN II equipped Octy and Golf this was taken to be 40,000 miles.

TP

I've seen no mention of Haldex servicing on here.

In the Haldex blurb it says the oil and filter should be replaced every 20,000 miles.......

My Skoda 'Blurb' - service book, says that the oil in the Haldex unit needs replacement every 60,000km - about 37k miles, so about every other variable service.

I'd be amazed if any Skoda dealer would be unable to carry out this simple procedure or not have the required equipment.

I assume that your Yeti is fitted with the 4th Gen Haldex coupling (Haldex 4) - which is what my 2011MY Octavia has. If so, there is no oil filter to change and, importantly, the oil spec is different to the Haldex 2. The oils are not interchangeable and must not be mixed.

In terms of faith in a dealer I would suggest you give Sinclair Skoda in Swansea call.

I have been consistently satisfied and impressed by their care and attention to detail.

My last service at 42k came with their written comment that at the next, the Haldex unit would be due for its own oil change.

Not only do they do what is required, and reasonably, they also have always kept me informed about what WILL need doing and when, along with a comment regarding the potential costs involved.

Perhaps that's why they won the Skoda Dealer of the Year last year.

G

My last service at 42k came with their written comment that at the next, the Haldex unit would be due for its own oil change.

G

Hi George,

if you had a 42k service I would have thought they would have changed the oil then :wonder: next time round will be 60,000 miles not km :wonder: :wonder:

TP

In terms of faith in a dealer I would suggest you give Sinclair Skoda in Swansea call.

Perhaps that's why they won the Skoda Dealer of the Year last year.

G

Thanks - I might do that.

Black Pidgeon in Cardiff has an unfortunate reputation, and I don't really want to find out if it's true myself :giggle:

Was up your way the other week on Epynt on a motorsport event with an all areas range pass :bandit:

My Skoda 'Blurb' - service book, says that the oil in the Haldex unit needs replacement every 60,000km

Thanks for reminding me. I've just been out to the car to look in the service book - and it's not there.

I remember now that the dealer promised to send the service book on for some reason - we've not received it and I had forgotten all about it :wall:

That's why I have little faith in my local dealer :whew:

There is filter, but it's hidden under the Haldex plate and is not part of the service schedule.

Thank you for that info. I have read mention elsewhere of a filter but I don't have access to an 'exploded' parts diagram for the Haldex 4 to check where it is. Perhaps I should have said that there is no externally accessible filter to change.

Thank you for that info.  I have read mention elsewhere of a filter but I don't have access to an 'exploded' parts diagram for the Haldex 4 to check where it is.  Perhaps I should have said that there is no externally accessible filter to change.

It's hidden for a reason. Last time I looked there wasn't a part number for it.

Hi Tim

At my age (and after a very late night playing at a ceilidh for a couple who got married yesterday, in their 60s) my memory isn't what it should be, but I can recall that we discussed the brake fluid change - at the 40k mark, and NOT the 60k that some have mentioned that VW have moved to.

And I am quite clear that their advice was unequivocal that the Haldex WOUL BE due, as opposed to needing to be done "now".

The reason was that, until they told me, I had been unaware that the 4*4 system actually needed any servicing. I think I thought it just was a collection of sensors that worked via bits of electrical wire- doh! - and merely activated the braking system as required when slippage was detected. Maybe the recommendation for 60k km has been superseded by new guidelines in the light of experience.

One thing I am pleased about is that, at 44k now I haven't had to have anything to do with brake discs done. Perhaps my driving style has eased as I've gone greyer but I used to eat brake discs on VWs and Audis in the past - or maybe that was done by the ferocious and ravenous farm collies that just love to chase cars down their tracks, biting tyres as they go.

And JERRY - so that was you lot making lots of revving noises was it?? Great fun I'm sure - its a wild and exciting space, the Epynt.

• Like 1

Just got back from my local dealer and nicked a service book from a showroom car in order for them to complete/stamp/etc whatever they should have done back in January.

Haldex is subject to an oil change after 3 years in the service book. I think some of the images and script shown recently were of older versions. Certainly I think it has a coarse filter prior to the pump, and a fine particle filter after the pump - both of which may be non service items. I can only verify on close inspection of the unit, but I'll need to get underneath to see if I can spot the filter on the casing of the Haldex.

Won't be doing that 'cos I'm off to Scotland in SJ tomorrow for a 4x4 motorsport event over the weekend.

As soon as I come back late Sunday night, de-mudded Monday morning I'll get under the Yeti :giggle: and have a look.

Just got back from my local dealer and nicked a service book from a showroom car in order for them to complete/stamp/etc whatever they should have done back in January.

Haldex is subject to an oil change after 3 years in the service book.

What is the issue date of your Service Schedule booklet? Mine is 05.10 - post the introduction of Haldex 4 - and specifies a change of oil for the Haldex coupling every 60 000 km (ie 37,282 miles).

• 2 years later...

I can answer my own question of nearly three years ago !!

It dawned on me recently that my Haldex service didn't fit in with my Skoda service regime. Now 3k over 40k, and some time before the next service, I decided to change the fluid myself. The fluid was in stock, so underneath I went out in the road. 

Everything has to be surgically clean, so it was a good day to do it - no wind,/dust etc. The oil drained out ok, looked clean except for some black blobs which vanished when squished?? Oil going in proved slightly tricky as the tube only went into the filling hole a short distance, so you had to insert the oil slowly. I turned on the ignition in case it needed to circulate/prime the pump. No drama there, so a quick top-up and on with the filler plug.

I was given to understand from various forums, and my local dealer that there is no filter, Gen 4. It seems that there are two filters, and I spotted the cover when cleaning the exterior of the Haldex/diff casing. It is sort of on the top, so I don't know if any oil will come out when the filter is replaced.

Now I need to track down the filter, and try again, probably after Christmas. I'm guessing one filter is fairly coarse at the pump inlet, and the replaceable one is finer on the exit?   

That's interesting Jerry. When I rang around for quotes for changing the Haldex oil on my Yeti, all 3 dealers quoted around £60 inc vat, and all 3 said there's no filter to change. They say there is a filter on Octavias & Superbs of similar age, but not the Yeti - apparently!

John

Filter show as no 13 part no filter element with gasket 02E398051 ,  but check this number as it may depend on you gearbox number there are lots for the 6 speed dsg.  no 6 is the pump but can't see any filters near it, 16a could be a filter but is listed as a oil pipe. oil pipe 02E321363B ? 87,00MM black 

• 405321600.png

That's interesting Jerry. When I rang around for quotes for changing the Haldex oil on my Yeti, all 3 dealers quoted around £60 inc vat, and all 3 said there's no filter to change. They say there is a filter on Octavias & Superbs of similar age, but not the Yeti - apparently!

John

I'll try and get underneath again to take a pic, may be later in the week as my right knee has gone funny :devil: , and the underside is plastered in slime as rally car testing yesterday. 

It looked like the alloy flange with two torx screws type filter. I may be wrong, but Volvos used a similar filter on their Haldex drives. I'll try my local dealer as they fall over themselves to help with strange queries :nerd: