11 replies to this topic

#1 bingo765

bingo765

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:08

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to take out an extended warranty?
I'd like the price for 1,2 and 3 years.

I will have had my vRS 3 years next year and considering whether to keep or get another one.
It's a cracking car and despite early troubles with the spark plugs, it's been fault free.
Extending seems to be the sensible option if the price is right.

Advice much appreciated.

#2 Brian 69

Brian 69

Spirit of '69

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Car:MKII Fabia vRS (Corrida Red)

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16

A satisfied owner - Seb won't like it :)

I was snooping on a Scirroco forum and a poster said VW are looking for £209 (or thereabouts) for an extra year, which seems reasonable.

Prices must have come down as I'm sure the price to extend the warranty on my Lupo GTi was a good bit more (and the Lupo is a much less complicated car - no auto / supercharger / turbo).
  • MartynVRS likes this

#3 bingo765

bingo765

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 13:59

Cheers for that Brian , that's cheap!
Yes you could say I'm a satisfied customer, one of the lucky ones.

#4 Bellster

Bellster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:00

http://www.skoda.co....dyourcover.aspx

£305 for 2 extra years with Skoda. Does say though that you have to purchase at the time of buying the car. Can anyone confirm this warranty can be purchased at the end of initial warranty expiration?

#5 Brian 69

Brian 69

Spirit of '69

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:13

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/extend-your-cover/Pages/Reasonstoextendyourcover.aspx

£305 for 2 extra years with Skoda. Does say though that you have to purchase at the time of buying the car. Can anyone confirm this warranty can be purchased at the end of initial warranty expiration?

I asked that question and someone replied that you can extend - I'd be surprised if Skoda is any different from the rest of the VAG group - I was offered an extension on a VW (think it might only have been a year though).

#6 chas

chas

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Car:Fabia VRS II Estate

Posted 01 December 2012 - 22:02

I also asked and was told you can extend the warranty as long as you do so before the initial 3 year warranty has not run out
  • Brian 69 likes this

#7 Preston_Motors

Preston_Motors

www.skodalondon.co.uk

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:33

There's 2 types of warranty. Manufacturers and Approved Used.

The manufacturers can only be added on new cars at time of purchase, this is an extension of the standard 3 years warranty.

The used car warranty can be added at any time up until the car is 10 years or 100k miles. The dealers will need to carry out a visual health check on the car to ensure that the car is mechanically sound. Once this is done they will add the warranty to the car.

Hope that helps :think:

#8 Evil Miyagi

Evil Miyagi

Vorsprung durch Technik

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:55

What does the approved warranty cover? I'm guessing it won't be a lot?

#9 Brian 69

Brian 69

Spirit of '69

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:14

That's what I was thinking - obviously won't be as good.

#10 bingo765

bingo765

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:05

Thanks for the info guys.I think so long as it's a skoda approved warranty and not one of those alternative 'cheaper' ones, it should be a fairly safe option.
I've had it regularly maintained and trust the dealers as I have done for years ,so think I'll probably go for a further 2 years.
The alternative is to go for another new car, however, the VAT free deals have unfortunately harmed 2nd hand prices and I won't be prepared to accept a low part exchange.

#11 Brian 69

Brian 69

Spirit of '69

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:38

Warranty Direct seem to have a good reputation - however, agree with you Bingo, Skoda approved is probably the best bet (even though it's not as comprehensive as the original warranty).

Mind you, reading here I'm not particularly impressed by SUK's idea of customer care (or from personal experience VAG in general).

Mate had a Porsche engine fail out of warranty - Porsche agreed to replaced the engine (although he had to pick up the labour tab - £500). He bought the car in a private sale into the bargain - not sure VAG would take the same attitude...

#12 Furbytom

Furbytom

Huge Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Car:Mk2 Furby vRS Estate and BMW M135i

Posted 02 December 2012 - 15:39

Mate had a Porsche engine fail out of warranty - Porsche agreed to replaced the engine (although he had to pick up the labour tab - £500). He bought the car in a private sale into the bargain - not sure VAG would take the same attitude...

Porsche are part of VAG so you'd be hopeful of a similar helpful attitude perhaps