MFSW Retrofit

I know there are heaps of threads on here already regarding MFSW retrofit, but I can't find the info I'm looking for so please read on below....

I currently have a 2012 manual 147tsi VRS (no MFSW). It has columbus, cruise & BT standard (Aus spec car).

I've bought a FL MFSW and 5k0 953 549 B controller and wiring loom from skodateile for retrofit, I'm trying to confirm whether the Maxidot controls will work both on the existing wiper stalk buttons as well as on the MFSW with this combination - or alternatively do I need to buy the indicator stalk without maxidot controls (5K0 953 513M).

I seem to remember someone on here posting that they could use both methods after the upgrade but cannot find that thread anymore to confirm, have searched and read so many posts now with conflicting info.

If anyone can confirm they have done the MFSW retrofit and had all buttons working as well as existing maxidot control on the wiper stalk that would be great.

Thanks.

slightly off topic, i did this upgrade on a 2007 passat, i replaced the steering wheel, steering wheel controller, and airbag loom, and after the upgrade the steering wheel buttons controlled the maxidot, the wiper stalk buttons didn't do anything

don't know if that helps, but i'd imagine that your car would be similar

slightly off topic, i did this upgrade on a 2007 passat, i replaced the steering wheel, steering wheel controller, and airbag loom, and after the upgrade the steering wheel buttons controlled the maxidot, the wiper stalk buttons didn't do anything

don't know if that helps, but i'd imagine that your car would be similar

Thanks, every bit of info helps. Have read that neither would work until the stalk was changed to the non button type, but was not specific to my car/module type and wasn't first hand info.

I changed a FL vRS wheel to a MFSW, we also needed the upgraded steering wheel controller (current one didn’t support MFSW), once coded the buttons on the wheel work and the ones on the wiper stalk become redundant, sure you can swap the stalk if it bothers you but you don’t need to.

You will need VCDS to do the coding changes.

I changed a FL vRS wheel to a MFSW, we also needed the upgraded steering wheel controller (current one didn’t support MFSW), once coded the buttons on the wheel work and the ones on the wiper stalk become redundant, sure you can swap the stalk if it bothers you but you don’t need to.

You will need VCDS to do the coding changes.

ok great. As long as the MFSW buttons work that's ok with me. Any chance you have the details of what coding you needed to change? I'm trying to tee up someone with VCDS to help me but would be good to know what changes are required before starting.Is it as simple as ticking some check boxes or is it more detailed? If you saved any screen shots can you post them up or point me in the right direction.Thanks.

Take a look at this thread:

Fitted MFSW to FL Vrs but can't get it to work (and now I dont have CC or a horn!)

We then recoded the car to:

(Which immobilised the buttons on the wiper stalk and activated them on the wheel)

Address 16: Steering wheel (J527) Labels: 5K0-953-569.clb

Part No SW: 5K0 953 569 H HW: 5K0 953 569 H

Component: LENKS.MODUL 014 0140

Revision: --X01--- Serial number: 20120121301625

Coding: 1082140000

Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00088

ASAM Dataset: EV_SMLSNGVOLWS A01004

ROD: EV_SMLSNGVOLWS_SK35.rod

VCID: 3D7A8C03AC27B7F00A3

Multifunction steering wheel control module:

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 3T0 959 537 HW: 3T0 959 537 Labels: 3C8-959-537.CLB

Component: E221__MFL-URO H07 0012

Coding: 800000

No fault code found.

The coding is very easy, just simply checkboxes within the Steering wheel option on vcds.

I had the old type module that was below the steering wheel column and not the slip ring that you have and to control the maxidot functions the wiper stalk worked as default after the MFSW retrofit and inorder to use the scroller on the MFSW I had to code it such that the wiper stalk did not have the rocker buttons.

It may sound complicated, but it is dead easy... especially on the 5K0 steering modules as they are only checkboxes in vcds to tick.

I know 'styler67' on here did this (to an LE) and ended up removing the stalk with switches and replacing it with one without.

Not certain if they both worked at the same time or not though. PM him, in sure he wouldn't mind.

Take a look at this thread:

Fitted MFSW to FL Vrs but can't get it to work (and now I dont have CC or a horn!)

We then recoded the car to:

(Which immobilised the buttons on the wiper stalk and activated them on the wheel)

Coding: 1082140000

VCID: 3D7A8C03AC27B7F00A3

No fault code found.

Great thanks. Will take a look once I can get a cable and s/w.

Question though, what is the difference between what you have coded above compared to in the other thread you linked:

Now with the correct coding:

Coding: 5082100000

VCID: 3D7A8C03AC6A8F1

No fault code found.

Is there an explanation to what each byte in the string is?

Also, if I change the hardware before having access to VCDS, can I still scan my original coding before trying to make changes or will the new hardware being installed overwrite the original values?

Doesn't sound too difficult at all, probably be easier if I had my own cable to play around with.

The 1st coding we did (in red) did not enable the r/h side MFSW buttons … the wiper stalk ones were still working.

The second coding (in black) now has the wheels working correctly and the wiper buttons disabled.

You may be OK changing the wheel without doing any coding, but the horn will probably not work so personally I would do it at the same time.

Also you may introduce some fault codes by changing the wheel and not coding the car, this is the reason why it is best to scan a car before retro-fitting anything.

Most of the bit will have a description, just bear in mind the above was done on a UK car with a manual gearbox and without factory bluetooth.

The 1st coding we did (in red) did not enable the r/h side MFSW buttons … the wiper stalk ones were still working.

The second coding (in black) now has the wheels working correctly and the wiper buttons disabled.

You may be OK changing the wheel without doing any coding, but the horn will probably not work so personally I would do it at the same time.

Also you may introduce some fault codes by changing the wheel and not coding the car, this is the reason why it is best to scan a car before retro-fitting anything.

Most of the bit will have a description, just bear in mind the above was done on a UK car with a manual gearbox and without factory bluetooth.

No worries, I plan on doing the coding just depends who I can get to help that has the cable. They may not be able to hang around to do an initial scan before I do the hardware change. Was planning on changing the hardware first then going over to check the coding, obviously not ideal but I may not have another option.

inorder to use the scroller on the MFSW I had to code it such that the wiper stalk did not have the rocker buttons.

Do you know what module the wiper stalk options are in? Still Steering module?

I found a screen shot on the web, but haven't seen anything about which type of wiper stalk is installed.

swcoding4.jpg

Here are the screen shots of a UK MY11 manual Octavia vRS. (These are from the coding in RED above, so you will need to adjust them to 1082140000 - which worked correctly for us)

byte0_zps0886c363.jpg

byte1_zps541a62ca.jpg

byte2_zpsff03354f.jpg

byte3_zps9cf7d0f2.jpg

byte4_zps00436825.jpg

Here are the screen shots of a UK MY11 manual Octavia vRS. (These are from the coding in RED above, so you will need to adjust them to 1082140000 - which worked correctly for us)

byte0_zps0886c363.jpg

byte1_zps541a62ca.jpg

byte2_zpsff03354f.jpg

byte3_zps9cf7d0f2.jpg

byte4_zps00436825.jpg

Cheers, that's exactly what I'm after.

Looks like will need to:

Byte 0 - untick Bit 6 for board computer control via wiper lever

Byte 1 - Tick Bit 1 & Bit 3 (assuming that with the BT voice control it requires PTT enabled for the button on the steering wheel to activate it)

In any case I'll try them in combination until it works, looks pretty simple.

My MFSW went in today and is now coded to work the MFD via the wheel rather than via the stalk.

Can anyone confirm the part number of the stalk that does not have the rocker switch on the end? A quick ebay search and I think it might be "1K0953519H"? Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.

:)

My MFSW went in today and is now coded to work the MFD via the wheel rather than via the stalk.

Can anyone confirm the part number of the stalk that does not have the rocker switch on the end? A quick ebay search and I think it might be "1K0953519H"? Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.

:)

5K0 953 513M

http://skodateile.cz/index.php?pg=product∏=426&menu=Volkswagen

Not sure if you can get just the wiper stalk by itself, might be under a different part number.

• Like 1

On a 2012 car, and as far as I know, upgrading to CC (left stalk) or 'downgrading' the wiper stalk involves changing both parts as they are joined together.

• Like 1

sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know, would I then be able to use my wiper/cruise stalk to fit to my partners 06 Leon to give her cruise?

• 5 years later...

hi after help just fitted my mfsw to the car i need to change the steering wheel box tho the one i have is 1k0 953 549 cq a midline one and i need a highline one does anyone know what one i need also now my horn doesnt work is this down to the box i need 

On 24/12/2018 at 14:48, skyeskodavrs said:

hi after help just fitted my mfsw to the car i need to change the steering wheel box tho the one i have is 1k0 953 549 cq a midline one and i need a highline one does anyone know what one i need also now my horn doesnt work is this down to the box i need 

1K0 953 549 CH

you may need to change the clock spring / slip ring as well unless you were abke to plug the control switches into the air bag loom?

i havent done mine yet but my control box was the same CQ midline.

Edited by Blueglue