Paint blisters on doors

LMC

Hi TP, Good result.

Having had similar issues a while ago (and discussed with bodyshop manager before and after), it might be interesting to ask the bodyshop what they think the cause was after they have carried out the work.

Scott

A year or so back, before visiting my Skoda dealer, I took my Yeti (with a blister appearing) to a professional car sprayer to have a quick look. (who happens to frequent my local gym!)

In his opinion the blister was in fact coming from the inside out, and he had a few new Audi's recently, with the same problem.

My local dealer took a photo etc, and agreed it was covered by the warranty. It was a hassle free experience for me, maybe I was lucky I guess?

Looks like it depends on the dealer's attitude as much as anything else?

From the impression I got the dealer was with me on it being a fault but warranty said that it was stone damage, as there was a pin hole showing in the top paint layer of the blisters (did ask why the lower paint layers didn't prevent the moisture getting through but didn't get an answer to that one).

TP

I had to drive, today, along a length of road where they had resurfaced with tar and stone chips. Some idiot came along the other side a warp speed and machine gunned the cars on our side of the road with the loose material. What a !!!!!

I had to drive, today, along a length of road where they had resurfaced with tar and stone chips. Some idiot came along the other side a warp speed and machine gunned the cars on our side of the road with the loose material. What a !!!!!

:swear:

Sometimes wish you could have some of the Bond car gadgets fitted to deal effectively with such mindless people ;)

TP

• Like 1

That happened to me in the first week of ownership of the Yeti, result stone chip on windscreen. Then earlier this week, on the same stretch of road, my wife's Fiat Panda windscreen cracked.

Fred

Skoda UK know about this issue.

The Yeti scored very well in the recent JD Power survey, with the only regular negative feedback being around the quality / finish of the paintwork.

Skoda are aware of this issue. My Skoda dealer originally said that the paintwork blistering was due to stones hitting the vehicle. I didn't accept this as an explanation. Eventually a VW rep inspected the paintwork and agreed to carry out the work under warranty.

Appears there are a few forum owners now reporting this; wonder if it's isolated to just a few vehicles built within a given time frame or more widespread.

Also frustrating these mixed messages customers are getting; is it Skoda Auto or SUK who are trying to dodge the problem :wonder:

TP

I have paint blisters appearing under the paint on the lower front door panels around tiny stone chips. The door seal between the front and rear doors has also rubbed off some paint due to body flex and there is a little rust starting. (There is a service advisory about this). The service manager photographed these areas during a recent service and sent the photos to SUK. They rejected a respray under warranty.

He knew I was a photographer so asked me to photograph the areas myself. He sent in my photos to SUK and the car goes in on Monday for a respray and replacement (softer) door seals.

Ours is back having had the rear door resprayed completely (with new foil and rub strip) and the lower front door done to the rub strip line best I can tell. Front and rear (again) badges have been replaced as have the roof strips, which decided to start parting company with the car (wrong glue apparently) :S

So thanks to the dealers in Lincoln for getting these things sorted :)

TP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As promised here is the update on my paint blisters.

I started this thread back in March when I discovered the blisters and the dealer sent photos to Skoda UK. Not expecting much, as the dealer said they were stone chips, I got a bit of a shock when out of the blue, a phone call to drop the Yeti in as Skoda UK had agreed to refinish all 4 doors, new foils and rubber bumper strips etc.

The diagnosis was Zinc blisters.

Result or it should have been.

The Skoda approved body shop is ****

They are on their second attempt to refinish the doors to an acceptable standard.

Having paint blisters was the better option at the moment to the **** paint job these guys turn out.

Waiting to see what sort of a job they turn out next.

Still love the Yeti, best car I’ve had.

John

• Like 1

Had the same issue with the local approved bodyshop, who resprayed the bonnet of our previous Fabia under warranty after it developed flaking paint. Absolute rubbish, probably could have produced the same standard myself with a spray can   :giggle:  In our case I couldn't be bothered to complain and shortly thereafter traded in the car anyway (so apologies to whoever has got the car now).

TP

I have been following this thread with interest, and decided to google "Zinc Blisters" as quoted by LMC.Interestingly the best info on is on Detailing World on a thread called "Does this sound true from Audi Uk about paint corrosion". It goes into a fair amount of detail regarding what exactly causes the problem, and elsewhere it seems to be quite a reoccuring problem with VAG group cars.I might say it does not just occur with Vag group cars, quite common with a lot of Manufacturers.HTH

Tony

Looks like the same issue has struck my Yeti. After a thorough clean and de-tar I've found a blister on the lower part of the driver's door. I'll get some photos and see what the dealer has to say. The Yeti does have some stonechips, but these are confined to the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly two months have passed since my local dealer took photos and sent off to SUK - nothing.

I think I'll be calling in there tomorrow :wall:

I heard back from main dealer last week - car to be booked in at local VW main agent for warranty repair to lower area of passenger side front door.

My car is a 2012 Yeti Urban.

It goes in tommorrow and I'll report back when it's done.

I heard back from main dealer last week - car to be booked in at local VW main agent for warranty repair to lower area of passenger side front door.

My car is a 2012 Yeti Urban.

It goes in tommorrow and I'll report back when it's done.

The bodyshop chap at VW described them as "Zinc Inclusions". Rather worringly he told me Skoda had only alloted less than a hours workshop time to resolve them!

Watch this space

The bodyshop chap at VW described them as "Zinc Inclusions". Rather worringly he told me Skoda had only alloted less than a hours workshop time to resolve them!

Watch this space

The car eventually underwent a full respray to the passenger side front door, as in the opinion of the VW bodyshop, this was the only viable option to repair these "zinc Inclusions".

The repair seems to be high quality, with no evidence of the original problem evident.

The whole process has left me feeling somewhat disappointed however, given both the timespan between reporting the problem and it being remedied and also the fact a body panel required respraying, before the car was 1 year old - doesn't bode well for the future..

I had a VW Polo for nearly a week whilst the Yeti was sorted out. This was a 60PS 3 door Match. The engine was gutless (and not especially economical), but the quality of the interior and NVH levels were certainly a good deal better than in my Yeti.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys I'm new to this site so HI ALL.

Firstly can I say I'm amazed at all the posts about the chipping and bubbling rusting paint work on the Yeti as I've had a call today from SUK saying they had never heard of any chipping paint problems after the plastic film was put on the wheel arches at the back, he must be a new boy going by all your posts here.

Here's my story. I bought my Yeti 170 Elegance March of 2010 Corrida Red. After a couple of months i was giving the car a wash when I noticed thousands of tiny paint chips along the doors all 4. I phoned the dealer I bought it from who then told me Skoda new about it and had brought out the plastic guards which they would fit and re-paint the doors fine,unfortunately for me I haven't really checked the car just washed it and left it at that for the last couple of years. I noticed I had a few tar spots on the doors the other day, so decided to remove them on closer inspection I then noticed the doors were all peppered in chips again even penetrated the plastic film and on further inspection noticed bubbling paint as many of you have described.

I contacted the dealer he seamed fine and was going to contact me when the service manager got back OK. I also contacted SUK to vent my displeasure that this was happening to  a car that is only 3 years, old and was it going to be a problem with the New Yeti when it comes out no answer on that one.

So today I had a call from SUK asking for details and he told me as above that there had been NO problems reported to them of failing paintwork after the plastic strips had been put on. From my conversation with him I get the feeling they want to wash there hands of the customer after the warranty is up even though Skoda have known there was an issue with stones chipping the paint from the time the Yeti was brought out and they should have known what the result of that would be RUST. My car was serviced each year at a Skoda dealers who again at no time said anything about the paint being chipped again, I also found out if your Skoda dealer has the car sprayed at a third party garage it invalidates your paint warranty,as mine was and not very well either, surely the dealers should know this.

I'm not sure if I'm going to have to pay for the repairs myself time will tell, if I do I'll make sure all Yeti owners are aware of this problem and to get to their dealers before their warranty runs out.

SKODA SHAME ON YOU TREATING YOUR CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS YOU KNEW YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR YOU SHOULD BE SORTING IT WITHOUT QUESTION.

Hope your all still awake guys I'll let you know the outcome in due course.