Paint blisters on doors

LMC

Now only problem is the paintjob is poorly done. A spot with too thin pigmented layer on one door and dust in the paint on all 4 doors. And a few other paint defects.

It's  not Icelandic volcanic dust is it? :devil:

Seriously, it's definately not acceptable.

Fred

• 1 month later...

We have the same problem here in Finland, I just noticed that the left passenger door has some blisters. Local Skoda retailer told me that my Yeti could be in repairs for 6 whole days because they are gonna re-paint all the doors :(

Pics here: http://1drv.ms/1ur1P6r

Edited by headman78

• 3 months later...

Reading your post hazy (May 2013) about the body flex technical bulletin, wondered if you had the issue date and number as my local dealers deny any knowledge when I asked about it. If anyone knows further details I would be grateful as the only thing the dealers agree on is that as the second owner the anti perforation warranty comes with the car and an inspection needs to be carried out on the driver and passenger doors where the trailing edge paint has worn away. I might add that the previous owner has full Skoda history and the service book says bodywork was inspected, don't understand how they missed the perforation? Agree with other posts that if there are hard door rubbers/trim some form of lube should be advised.

Years ago there were felt pads on the inside of the door skins to stop the window tracks vibrating,so when water ran down the windows into the doors they retained the moisture causing the door panels to rust from the inside out,was wondering if there is a pattern of where the corrosion appears on the yeti doors

• 1 month later...

I have had problems with paint blisters on one of my Fabia 2011 door. Plymouth Skoda looked at it three times and decided it needed looking at by an independant accessor.  I thought the service I received was very poor. It did not make any differance  the car was under warranty.  Due to ilness could not be bothered to persue the issue. Wont use Murry's again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been affected by this issue :( Found two fairly large paint blisters on the rear left passenger door (lower part) of my Yeti the other day. The paint on one of them had cracked so I peeled it off and used rust converter with touch-up paint for mending. I didn't find any primer or traces of it on the metal in this spot. My Yeti is non-metallic white. Pity it is out of warranty...

I think warranty period is the same for all parts except those subject to wear. Two years in my case. And there is also a separate corrosion warranty, but that, as far as I understand , covers only metal panels and not paint.

Quote from the brochure to consider :-

"There’s no mileage limit on the warranty in the first two years and for
additional peace of mind there’s a 12 year body protection warranty."

Colin

The protection film works very well.  Plus is available from sources like Rainworth to retro fit. There's even a thread in here somewhere about how to DIY fit. Followed that myself within first month of my Yeti ownership. Very happy with result, despite the fit being ever so slightly amateur, due to my inexperience with that particular application and film.  Would have been much better by the time I got to a third door! :thumbup:

The protection film works very well.  Plus is available from sources like Rainworth to retro fit. There's even a thread in here somewhere about how to DIY fit. Followed that myself within first month of my Yeti ownership. Very happy with result, despite the fit being ever so slightly amateur, due to my inexperience with that particular application and film.  Would have been much better by the time I got to a third door! :thumbup:

I think this is what you are referring to:    LINK

Along with much more information on "How to" - it's in the Skoda Yeti Technical Guides:  LINK..............Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I photographed the second paint blister on the rear left door today, here is how it looked

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

Then I peeled off the bubbled paint with a sharp knife

DSC_0050.JPG

Cleaned the spot

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

And covered it with touch-up paint

DSC_0035.JPG

• Like 1

I photographed the second paint blister on the rear left door today, here is how it looked

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

Then I peeled off the bubbled paint with a sharp knife

DSC_0050.JPG

Cleaned the spot

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

And covered it with touch-up paint

DSC_0035.JPG

Good job on that touch up,it looked like a drive by shooting beforehand. :D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi all, I am just starting out on this journey of blistering. I am taking the car to the garage where I purchased it, on the 1st Oct. It is 5 years old so well out of warranty. It is a L&K metallic grey. I have done under 38000 miles. There are no stone chips just these 4 blisters on a door and boot. I went to a local body shop and they told me that they were not stone chips, and they believed they were down to the first layer of paint being too thin, then the water based paint contacting the metal.( if I have understood correctly.) They said they could deal with them but it could be like measles and other spots popping up all over.

Question:

Of those who had good results with this situation , is there a particular dealership that is best to go to, or do I have to go back to the one I purchased it from? I am willing to travel,Crewe, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Manchester.etc.

Should I contact Mr Mcload Md straight off ( quoting Sale of Goods Act 1979 -the car not being fit for purpose i.e.outside . And that even though it is outside of warranty, under the Sale and Supply of Goods th Consumers Regulations2003 limitations act I have six years to bring this to his attention, or give the dealership a chance to reply first?

Thanks for any help

You do what the T&C's of the Warranty says.

Report to an Approved Repairer so a Skoda Main Dealership. 

The Warranty Manager or Workshop manager should know what to do. Should know about the Zinc Inclusion.

Should then take photographs to send to Skoda UK so that they can arrange the cars Inspection, report and ultimately the repair.

If there is any issues, get your pictures to Skoda UK Customer Services yourself and get a handler to assist in you getting your car dealt with.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

PS,

Out of the Paint Warranty but not the Corrosion Warranty, you might be told that the panel is not holed, it is not coming from behind etc.

But then the issue if it is the factory finish or a warranty repair already is Zinc Inclusion so dismissing it is just not on for Skoda.

If the car has non Approved Repairs by a Non Approved Repairer already, a respray as an example then sadly you are stuffed.

PPS.

Do a google or search of   briskoda yeti zinc inclusion

Edited by Offski

I recently had some very early signs of zinc inclusions done under paint warranty.

Take the car to any Skoda dealer and they should have it inspected by an approved paint shop. they will take photos and paint thickness measurements before producing a report that gets forwarded to Skoda.

Out of interest I believe "Sale of Goods Act" and "Fitness for Purpose" has no time limitation, although 7 years is often stated as a guide. This outweighs any warranty/guarantee that has been specified/given.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters
  • Like 1

The Paint Warranty given is 3 years.   This is not on the Paint Warranty issue, this is a Manufacturing Fault. So not out of Warranty and to be dismissed as that.

Skoda CZ know which vehicles built on which production line, which shift or operatives, how many Yeti were built and will have the possible Zinc Inclusion Issue.

So best get your request in for an Inspection & Report, what the report says on new panels required, who is to do those and the refinishing.

If someone at a Dealership has never heard of the issue they have not worked long in a Skoda Main Dealership, same with a Skoda UK Customer Services Call Handler or Communications manager.

All the best with it.

Stripping and painting the panels does not fix the problem, as many Approved Bodyshop Employees or Main Dealership Employees say will.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hmm, this is pretty disappointing reading. I thought this problem was restricted to 2011/12 cars like mine. Both sides of mine were resprayed under warranty 5 years ago, but largely due to substandard workmanship, it only lasted 4 years before rust started to appear along the door bottoms because the paint was too thin, so I've just paid to have mine all done again & properly this time so hopefully it'll last longer. But I have been thinking of upgrading to a last of the line Yeti in the future, & thought paint quality wouldn't be an issue. Obviously I'm wrong!