TSI HT lead failure

weaver

Don't believe all you here about these "extended" warranty periods! There are lots of stories on the 'net about how poor Kia's supposed 7 years is after 3 years, ditto Vauxhall's "lifetime".

All seem to to have lots of "get-out" clauses.

Not much argument on Skoda's get out clause though.

• 3 weeks later...

Having only just found this Forum, let me add my two pennyworth.My 2010 1.2 tsi dsg Auto gave just the same symptoms last Feb. Local Skoda dealer replaced No.1 HT lead under warranty.Last Sunday, 5 May, same symptoms again! This time No. three lead changed but warranty now expired! After STRONG remonstations on my part agreed Skoda pay 70% I pay 30% which came to £22. I asked how long before the other two fail, but got no satisfactory answer of course. Both new leads are of type described by others with corrugated outer sleeve. Upon enquiring what this was for, I was told, (wait for it ) "because they have had trouble with mice nibbling the cables"!!!!!

I am now in the process of buying a full set of four new leads from an independant source, to carry with me.

I am now in the process of buying a full set of four new leads from an independant source, to carry with me.

I'd thought about that. The swap itself looked reasonably straightforward if it came to it out in the wilds, although I don't know if there's any zero'ing of limp mode required. If you can share your source and price, please feel free :thumbup:

Well, two and a half weeks after starting this thread I can post something of a conclusion.

Skoda did come back with an offer of 70% as in the instance above. However when I spoke to the garage about processing the refund they said that this 70% did not include the diagnostic cost (£78 + VAT) as (they said) Skoda didn't include this in the 'repair bill'.

Back to Skoda we go, they say that the garage didn't include the diagnostic in their report of the repair cost. Left it with them a few days and now we have a 70% refund on the diagnostic as well.

So all in all the financial side has come to a satisfactory conclusion; the three way converstion between me, the garage and Skoda seems to have generated more misunderstanding/miscommunication than I would have thought possible for something so simple though.

I still don't have an answer on why or when the cable has been modified; it appears that a very small number of failures would be enough for Skoda to have a look at the part and see if it can be improved, the number of failures required for this to then become a recall or a 'do at next service' recall (or even admit that an issue exists at all) is clearly much higher.

I asked both Skoda and the garage whether, given that the leads are not in themselves costly, replacing the other three would be a sensible precaution. They both said that they would not advise this and didn't think it necessary. The garage went on to say that if a similar problem did re-occur then there would be no diagnostic fee the second time around, fair enough but it does seem to completely ignore the potential inconvenience of a failure at an inopportune time and the toing and froing to get it sorted.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update weaver. This uncertainty is one reason why I thought PeterShe's idea of buying a reserve set might be a prudent precaution.

Peter, when the leads come, can you compare them to your dealer fitted replacements and let us know if they're the same thing.

The only other thing stopping me buying a set is not knowing:

1) whether they are an easy DIY swap. I really wish I'd watched the Skoda Assist lad more closely when he did it.

2) whether swapping them automatically clears the limp mode, or it's a dealer visit anyway.

:think:

Edited by Michael G

New HT leads arrived as promised. They look almost identical to VW/Skoda originals. Made by "Tesla" in Chech Republi. Probably significant! Just hope they are made to higher spec. However, at well under £40 the set I consider it cheap peace of mind insurance. We are driving from Lancashire to Gatwick next week, And intend to catch our plane. Roadside replacement may be tricky, particularly NO 4, but not insupperable.

As for the other worry of "limp mode", Surely this is as result of faulty lead. Replace that, and limping ends. Fault code will remain unseen in computer memory and can be reset anytime. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone out there will tell us

I attach two photos of new leads.

post-103359-0-26541000-1368631813_thumb.jpg

post-103359-0-44371900-1368631826_thumb.jpg

Just picked up on this topic. Had the same problem approx. 1 month ago with my 23 month old 1.2 TSi - loss of power & dashboard lighting up like Blackpool illuminations. I was heading in the direction of my dealer (Truscott's, Helston) when it happened & managed to get there (approx. 14 miles) in limp home mode. Obviously no appointment, but courtesy car provided & workshop got onto it straight away. Problem diagnosed as failure of HT lead to cylinder 3. MK cocked up the supply of a replacement & it consequently took 2 days to fix (which wasn't actually a problem).

When I picked it up the dealer showed me the broadcast from SUK about this problem which seemed to indicate that a few more instances might be on the horizon.

All sorted OK & I've since done another 2k miles without problem.

• Like 1

Michael

When I called back to collect the beast the service manager made mention of the ignition coil contacts having been "corroded" and they had an instruction from SUK NOT to replace them (!) but merely to clean them. I assume the contacts are copper, and subject to a standard greening effect from atmospheric polution. (In this part of the country we suffer from very salty air (being surrounded by sea) and 'atmospheric corrosion' is a problem encountered in many everyday situations. I always use stainless steel or solid brass screws when doing any outdoor work).

I was then shown (had waved in front of me) a copy of the note from MK regarding this pointing out that this corrosion was to be expected and need only be addressed with moderate use of wire wool or similar to clean the contact.

As I mentioned previously it seems that this 'problem' will crop up for other people; probably just luck of the draw as to who it happens to & when & where.

There was never the slightest hint that putting my car right would be subject to any charge.

• Like 1

Ah right, thanks Ian. I wonder if "atmospheric corrosion" at the coil end is actually another potential issue, which could result in the same symptoms.

With mine, it was a failure of the insulation on the lead at the front, where no.3 passed over the exhaust manifold (something hot, anyway).

The replacement had some thermal trunking on it to add extra protection.

Other owners have had the same issue but no acknowledgement that there is a design fault, hence my interest in the Skoda bulletin.

Ian

This sounds a right tale to me! The rubber "boot" protecting the coil end of the HT lead is such a close fit that any ingress of corrosion seems unlikley, even where you live (I am within half mile of the shore of Morecambe Bay, so know the problems).

Did they or did they not repace your No 3 lead?. You should be able to tell as the replacements have a loose, black, corrugated sleeve over the plug end of the lead.

Yes, lead was replaced with no fuss. And no problems since.

The cynic in me leads me to think that expressing interest in a Citigo for the wife leads the dealer's staff to be very helpful when any problems do occur.

Having said that I've had no cause to complain about any aspect of my dealings with them.

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Greece! I also experienced the same problem, cylinder 3 misfire, cable was the cause (50000km on tacho). Made about 100 km (60 miles approx.) with the car in safe mode. I had very low instant and overall consumption, making me believe that the ECU stopped injecting in the 3rd cylinder. The service told me not to worry. They replaced the lead and plug with used spares and advised me to change ignition leads along with plugs in the next service. I have also found some evidence that 2010 and 2011 1.2 TSi VW Group cars experience this lead problem, here in Greece, within 2013. Skodas, Seats and VWs. To me it looks like a bad design issue rather than a faulty lead batch... The service told me that likely I will not have any further problem, till the change, however I have some long trips and I am also considering to purchase a new set of leads to have them in the boot alltime.

• 1 month later...

and another to add!

2 days before the warranty expired and 1 day after a Halfords MOT, bad engine misfire and limp home mode came on. The engine shook that much that the abs warning light came on. Skoda service sent out RAC who gave me a used spare to get me to the dealer. All they were authorised to replace was the no3 lead which they had to order. 

3 weeks later and out of warranty same thing happened only this time it was no1 faulty that was diagnosed by 2nd Britannia Rescue agent - 1st guys sent out by them had a look and asked if it was a diesel - sent them packing!

Ordered a set of leads from the dealer - about £72 I think and fitted them easily myself this Tuesday. All came with the new sheathing and the spiders fitted that made it easy to spot what went were. One end of the leads are numbered 1 to 4 and the other ends ABCD. I noticed that the dealer had refitted the no3 lead incorrectly by shoving the corrugated sheathing up to the dissie end and refitting it in the engine mounted clip as per original.. Spare no3 anyone?

Found this thread after the event so might try my luck with SkodaUK to get a contribution.

So in three years use I've had a new dsg gearbox, a new timing chain and a rear badge. and now this. Am I just unlucky? 

and another to add!

2 days before the warranty expired and 1 day after a Halfords MOT, bad engine misfire and limp home mode came on. The engine shook that much that the abs warning light came on. Skoda service sent out RAC who gave me a used spare to get me to the dealer. All they were authorised to replace was the no3 lead which they had to order. 

3 weeks later and out of warranty same thing happened only this time it was no1 faulty that was diagnosed by 2nd Britannia Rescue agent - 1st guys sent out by them had a look and asked if it was a diesel - sent them packing!

Ordered a set of leads from the dealer - about £72 I think and fitted them easily myself this Tuesday. All came with the new sheathing and the spiders fitted that made it easy to spot what went were. One end of the leads are numbered 1 to 4 and the other ends ABCD. I noticed that the dealer had refitted the no3 lead incorrectly by shoving the corrugated sheathing up to the dissie end and refitting it in the engine mounted clip as per original.. Spare no3 anyone?

Found this thread after the event so might try my luck with SkodaUK to get a contribution.

So in three years use I've had a new dsg gearbox, a new timing chain and a rear badge. and now this. Am I just unlucky? 

You certainly are unlucky rambalad.  That said, you have a new timing chain and DSG gearbox which are likely to more reliable than the originals(?)  

It was lead no. 1 that failed on my Yeti. I had the car MOT'd this week ahead of the warranty expiring at the end of the month. I'm going to take out the Skoda extended warranty just in case I have your 'luck'.  I would have preferred the full Skoda factory extended warranty, but I don't think this was available when I bought the car. BTW I'm on my third set of badges.

I used to work on the "other side" at a VW dealership. We would've been as disappointed as the owner and the redesigned lead is an admittance of an issue. Surprised there isn't a recall on this tbh. I would push for a goodwill gesture perhaps getting the part f.o.c and a contribution towards labour too?

• 9 months later...

I have a January 2011 Yeti Elegance 1.2 TSI with 28k on the clock.So far I've had a new camchain and tensioner assembly and a massive oil leak fixed as a result of the camchain change,a new rear badge,a new gear knob top plastic/chrome embellishment(due to the chrome peeling off),the turbo shimmed and today a new No.1 plug lead as it went into "limp home mode" this morning.(EPC,skiddy car and engine management light all on).

I don't have a problem with my maindealer but this is definately a design fault and should be the subject of a recall on safety grounds,SKODA are at fault here..The A14 is no place to limp along,it's downright scary and dangerous.

To have the car diagnosed and a new No1 lead I was quoted £90.02 or £145.55 for a full set.I was told by the service manager that I should have taken out an extended warranty which didn't please me one bit.They found and fitted a used No2 lead that they had laying around to get me back on the road.(wonder who's car that came from and why did they keep it?)and a new full set were ordered as nothing was kept in stock.This means more time out and a round trip of 30 miles to get them fitted.   In the end I agreed to pay a total of £75 for the whole job but I'm still pretty angry about such a fundamental fault in this day and age.HT leads next to an exhaust manifold,I don't think even BL did that.

I will contact SKODA UK about this but don't expect to get anywhere.The very fact that the new parts are different is in my view indicative of a fault with the original design!

Would I buy another Skoda,well maybe as everything else except this HT problem has been fixed on warranty and my previous Octavia was fault free.

Had No1 lead failure with inconvenient 'limp mode' event. (just out of warranty). Off the road 2 days

while on order....why don't dealers keep stocks of this cheap basic item with well known issues?

Replacement had no additional protection though!  AA man said plug was in a bit of a state too but dealer

disageed. Getting just a little fed up with niggling quality issues and loosing confidence in long term reliability.

Edited by kibby

Hmm.  My 1.2TSi is about to go in for service, and I'm wondeering what precautions I ought to take against this.  All four of my HT leads have a thin layer of extra protection (looks identical to the photo Weaver posted on page 1), and I can see that this extra layer is very slightly singed on #3 where it passes by the manifold.

I'm tempted to ask my garage to get a spare HT lead for me to carry as a backup.  Is swapping them at the roadside as simple as it looks?

When this failure occurs, does the display give the same 'Engine fault - workshop' message I'm used to from the turbo-related failure?  I guess the backfire that people have reported is a bit of a giveaway for the diagnosis.  And can anyone confirm that swapping the knackered lead out immediately takes the car out of limp-home mode?

Edited by JamieWakeham

Further to my post 45 above.Even though the car is out of warranty Skoda have agreed to pay all costs as a goodwill gesture.I attach pics of before and after.Spot the difference..

post-102961-0-58410000-1403097968_thumb.jpg

post-102961-0-41977500-1403098000_thumb.jpg