RIP Nelson Mandela

Jonny5ive

It is a shame but he was a leader of the ANC and certainly turned a blind eye to bombings etc at the very least.  His wife was also dodgy as hell.

As is often the way and has been for centuries, history is written by the victor.  NM finished up a force for good regardless of where he started but glossing over his past does him a disservice.  One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter etc.

• Like 2

I visited South Africa many times in the 70's/80's and Apartheid was an Abhorrent system.

The fact that it was resolved without a Huge Bloodbath is largely due to Nelson Mandela.

For me He's up their with Martin Luther King and Gandhi.

RIP indeed...

• Like 1

It's sad for his family that he's died.

While it's true he made an impact, I don't think it's right or proper to eulogise the man as some kind of saint/deity.

South African politics was/is complex and the rose-tinted spectacles of history (both ANC and World Press at large) has rather conveniently airbrushed out some of Madiba's personal & political history.

I can't see the press and public figures behaving in the same way if and when Gerry Adams dies. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I visited South Africa many times in the 70's/80's and Apartheid was an Abhorrent system.

The fact that it was resolved without a Huge Bloodbath is largely due to Nelson Mandela.

For me He's up their with Martin Luther King and Gandhi.

RIP indeed...

Apartheid has been resolved in name only.

SA still has massive racial inequality, the power now simply sits in the hands of a black minority, rather than a white minority. There's still violence and murder, often black on white, or black on black; with a level of brutality that we just don't get told by the press here.

Objective history also shows that FW de Klerk shared the peace prize with Mandela, as he arranged for Mandela's release and was largely the driving force behind the end of Apartheid rule.

• Like 4

R.I.P Mr Mandella.

From prisoner, to President in his own lifetime.......what an incredible legacy you have left us all.   :'(

Woman on 3cr this morning went into a rant about how he was simply a terrorist.

Yes he did create the military wing of the ANC but in response to the killing of unarmed black south Africans. During his time they also only targeted government targets and no one was killed on his watch - only after he was imprisoned.

Was about 930 and should be on the iplayer.

Woman on 3cr this morning went into a rant about how he was simply a terrorist.

Yes he did create the military wing of the ANC but in response to the killing of unarmed black south Africans. During his time they also only targeted government targets and no one was killed on his watch - only after he was imprisoned.

Was about 930 and should be on the iplayer.

This was the expressed view of the conservative party in the eighties and the conservative student body which Cameron was a member produced t shirt saying hang Mandela.

Nelson Mandela was human just like the rest of us.  He was extraordinary because he helped bring about an end to Apartheid, but that didn't mean that he didn't have faults and shortcomings.

I think history will view him kindly, as the man who freed SA from the evils of racism.  I went to SA recently, and from what I saw,  I don't believe for one minute that its problems are all solved.  He was the catalyst; it is up to all South Africans now to finish what he started.

RIP

Cameron going to funeral.

Amazed at his neck when he went to SA durjng apartied to promote trade.

That's because all he is, is a glorified P.R.officer. Slimey lil Weasel. Aslong as he's seen by the public doing something in front of a camera, all is good.

All just to maintain this illusion that we live in a democrazy-ness

Edited by theezenutz