Adaptive cruise control

i would have thought it would be quite cost restrictive as youd need a new grille with the radar sensor, new lower steering stalk plus the control module if there is one and the wiring as well.  bound to cost a fortune even if you could get hold of them with the supply problems.

• Like 1

No it cannot be added afterwards, the additional wiring and radar installation will be cost crippling. You'll also need new controllers, instrument cluster and control stalk.

• Like 1

It must be much better than the standard version. Standard cruise seems awful to me. Awkward beyond belief when compared to Ford and Citroen systems (which are standard on most cars), an option on my £24k vrs . Why on earth does cruise not deactivate when you brake? Madness.

It must be much better than the standard version. Standard cruise seems awful to me. Awkward beyond belief when compared to Ford and Citroen systems (which are standard on most cars), an option on my £24k vrs . Why on earth does cruise not deactivate when you brake? Madness.

Its a very odd system on Skoda's, and the problem you had is the same I had. Eventually worked it out though.

On the rocker switch on the end of the stalk, dont press the upper part. Do that and the car annoyingly takes over and speeds back up to the last speed!!

Press the lower part, and it resets to the new speed you are currently at. 

Like you, I say the Ford system is much more user friendly. It really is a case of trying to get used to the Skoda system, and making do.

My Mk2 always deactivates when either the clutch or the brake is applied & yes James, lower rocker switch for current speed, upper for previous speed or lower for they're still infront of me, upper for they've moved back into he middle lane.  You get used to it, dip the clutch a few hundred yards early, cruise up behind them and with practice, they're just moving back into the fast lane.

Skovirg, if your car isn't deactivating on braking, take it back to the dealers cause, somethings wrong with it.

Regards

T

• Like 1

Why on earth does cruise not deactivate when you brake? Madness.

Because there's something wrong with yours, I'd get it back to your dealer ASAP before you have an accident. Mine deactivates upon braking.

• Like 3

or lower for they're still infront of me, upper for they've moved back into he middle lane.  You get used to it, dip the clutch a few hundred yards early, cruise up behind them and with practice, they're just moving back into the fast lane.

Skovirg, if your car isn't deactivating on braking, take it back to the dealers cause, somethings wrong with it.

Regards

T

I take it this is to do with the ACC? I thought it slowed down and sped up for you automatically, as it could recognise if cars were in front.

I assume Skovirg's problem is the fact it saves the old speed, and if you press the wrong part of the rocker switch, you end up speeding back up.

It seems as though it hasnt deactivated. In reality i think its just a case of it saving previous speeds.

One thing ive definitely noticed. It doesnt deactivate when you depress the clutch. I activated cruise on the motorway earlier, then realised i was still in 5th gear. Changed upto 6th, and cruise was still activated and running normally.

Its a very odd system on Skoda's, and the problem you had is the same I had. Eventually worked it out though.

On the rocker switch on the end of the stalk, dont press the upper part. Do that and the car annoyingly takes over and speeds back up to the last speed!!

Press the lower part, and it resets to the new speed you are currently at. 

Like you, I say the Ford system is much more user friendly. It really is a case of trying to get used to the Skoda system, and making do.

Thanks Junglejames. I'll persevere with it. Perhaps the main reason I dislike it is because it's faulty and doesn't deactivate on braking and clutch which is most uncomfortable. Still not convinced of the practicality of someone with hands like shovels having to push the right spot on a 15mm button and the crazy slider at the top though. For me, at the moment it's by far the worst part of the car, I wish I hadn't bothered. Maybe i'll think differently when it works as designed.

Hows that annoying, press up on resume and it takes it back to where it was as it should and press down to set speed :/, then if you want to go faster either accelerate and press set or quickly press the up. Easy

• Like 1

Hows that annoying, press up on resume and it takes it back to where it was as it should and press down to set speed :/, then if you want to go faster either accelerate and press set or quickly press the up. Easy

Exactly what I'm thinking rob!

That was how it worked on my Jetta. The way things were being described in here, I thought the whole thing had changed. I agree though, I can't see how that's a complex system. 'Set' to set your speed, 'Resume' to resume the previous set speed.

• Like 1

I had ACC on my previous Superb's excellent for the Drive back to Blighty, When i put my Order in back in June i was told that ACC was Not available, really miss it on the 4 and a half Hour plus Drive to Dunkirk , will deffo be having it on my next VRS When i Order it next Summer.( if it's available Parts dependant).

Thanks Junglejames. I'll persevere with it. Perhaps the main reason I dislike it is because it's faulty and doesn't deactivate on braking and clutch which is most uncomfortable. Still not convinced of the practicality of someone with hands like shovels having to push the right spot on a 15mm button and the crazy slider at the top though. For me, at the moment it's by far the worst part of the car, I wish I hadn't bothered. Maybe i'll think differently when it works as designed.

You dont need to touch the slider on the top. Leave it switched on permanently. If it really is still running when you brake, and tries to speed up as soon as you take your foot off the brakes without you pressing any buttons, then the system is malfunctioning. Take it to dealer. With the clutch, ive noticed it doesnt deactivate with me either. But when i brake it does. It just saves the speed. I then press upper part of rocker switch to activate it at the stored speed, or lower part to activate at the new current speed.

Its not just getting used to the fact it has stored your speed. Its everything else as well. The fact it stores your speed, so can only press the bottom part of the switch is purely a case of getting used to it. I do think its silly though, as I cant see the point in storing the speed once you have used the brakes. If you have been braking, its unlikely you will want to go straight back up to your old speed. Well certainly ive never used the stored speed function. When i do eventually work my way back up to line speed, I will do so with the accelerator, then restart cruise. Id say this was a better way of doing things, but yes, its just getting used to the VAG system.

However, the VAG system is very fiddly compared to say the Ford system. Ive mentioned it elsewhere, but because of the location, shape and size of the buttons on the Ford's, its a much more natural system to use. The buttons must be about twice the size. They are simple flat buttons that are easier to press (OK that is niggly, but it all adds up), and they are in a very natural position. Right by your thumb. The VAG system requires more movement of the hand/ fingers to operate. 

Also, it seems like some people like to actually switch the system off. Now that is fiddly on the VAG system. Before i worked the system out, and kept playing with the on/ off switch to get rid of the stored speed, I would often activate the indicators whilst playing with the switch on top of the stalk. Very very fiddly and annoying.

Sorry, but all combined, i stand by the fact the Ford system is a much more natural system to use. Now i dont mind the VAG system now, but its not as good

I use resume a lot too. If someone pulls out on me and forces me to brake, I'll often use resume to get back up to speed when they've gone.

I do find the VW/Skoda system fiddly though, especially as the controls are hidden behind the steering wheel. My previous Chrysler with the Merc system was easier with a separate stalk.

It's not meant to deactivate when the clutch is pressed on the O3.

I was told the same when I ordered mine, the new cruise allows the driver of a manual car to select the best gear without turning cruise off.

For example you are cruising in 6th at 57 mph (unlikely I know) and come up to a steep hill and need to move down to 5th or 4th you can just change gear, the old cruise would be turned off and you would have to use the resume button.

I have ACC and a DSG box and if I use the break the cruise is turned off, I think you have a fault.