vRS MK2 ENGINE REPLACEMENT: ARE ALL CUSTOMERS GETTING CONSISTENT TREATMENT FROM Skoda UK andDealersips

It is also worth me mentioning on this topic that my car was initially a demonstrator so I am unsure if this has  contributed to my issues (test pilots thrashng it from cold...)

They advised the engine will need "running in" is this correct or can it be driven as intended providing the oil is up to temperature first? I hav seen differing opinions on this issue?

I am now pushing the approved Skoda dealer who actually sold me the car to offer an extended warranty for my peace of mind and some form of good will gesture for my  trouble.......no repsonse so far!

There is an opinion amongst many 'experts' that aggressive running-in is actually beneficial and will ultimately result in a better cylinder wall condition and piston ring seal. How the engine is run-in over the first few hundred miles has an impact on long term performance. I wouldn't be too concerned about it being a demonstrator. I bought many ex fleet/hire cars in the past and never had a problem with any of them.

I believe the wrong sort of running-in is being too gentle or not varying the rev's (being sat on the motorway at the same speed for long periods is not good). My advice would be to push the engine a little once the oil has warmed up (vary the rev's, don't hold back too much, let the engine pull, use the gears to engine brake). If you are not happy with any of this, just drive normally.

Push for the extended warranty.

• Like 3

Update on my car:-

The local Dealer with my car took the engine to bits and evidenced burnt oil in the cylinder and some scoring. SKODA UK have authorised an engine change. I am advised that this will be another CAVE with updates to most recent spec. No further warranty on the new head and block will be given!?!

Local Dealer with the car were very helpful yesterday and showed me the car (without engine) and the engine itself with the damage etc.

It is also worth me mentioning on this topic that my car was initially a demonstrator so I am unsure if this has  contributed to my issues (test pilots thrashng it from cold...)

They advised the engine will need "running in" is this correct or can it be driven as intended providing the oil is up to temperature first? I hav seen differing opinions on this issue?

I am now pushing the approved Skoda dealer who actually sold me the car to offer an extended warranty for my peace of mind and some form of good will gesture for my  trouble.......no repsonse so far!

Have you registered the case with Skoda UK as advised above previously.

Normally the dealer agent does the two test for oil consumption rate related to the Skoda Process for this.

Once the results are computed and if failed on both counts, then the dealer can order the new engine.

To my knowledge most owners have gone through  the Skoda process supported by Skoda Customer services via the service agent doing the test.

The engine is not normally stripped!!! 

Skoda UK supply a complete "long engine" recon engine, complete with cylinder head etc. but reuse the ancillary components, turbo, supercharger etc..

Most customers then negotiate an extended 1 year warranty for the mechanical parts. Due to the disruption of the component parts in the engine bay ,as the engine strip has a high probability to damage ancillary components also the quality of work supplied in the Replacement engine. 

Please progress via Skoda UK AS MENTIONED  before and get the dealer to do things by the Skoda Book.

Note! THE COMMENTS IN YOUR MANUAL ABOUT RUNNING IN YOUR NEW CAR /ENGINE!

there ARE MANY GOOD HELPFUL COMMENTS FROM MEMEBERS ON HERE, but I would suggest that thrashing the pants off the motor is not the best way forward.

Big Sheep gives a good overview above.

• Like 1

When my engine was changed recently I was told by my dealer the factory now runs them in before shipping to dealer. The master test exacts words were that I could of left the dealership at 100 mph and would not make a difference as it is already run in by factory.

Also my engine was fitted in extended warranty and I have a 2 year parts only warranty on the engine like I would if I brought the engine my self. This I have in writing from SUK

• Like 1

PMSL.  

Some of them must work at the Comedy Store part time, if not they should.

People trust their pride and joy into these peoples hands, they spend lots of money, get sold a Lemon & then need to have these Muppets

work on it to repair it.

it is actually sad & if you did not laugh you would cry with these guys,

they make it up as they go along.

??

If the Replacement Engines are so good, and run in at the Factory,

then why do new Engines off the Line fail?

Everyone might as well Buy a new car but with a Remanufactured Engine Installed.

• Like 1

Your right there George, I just walked off and got in my car lol.

I've ran mine in like I would with a new car. Has now done 1300 mile and not a drop of oil used.

Also you would not think a dealership would suggest to you about breaking the speed limit

Edited by Andy2509
  • Like 1

Have you registered the case with Skoda UK as advised above previously.

Normally the dealer agent does the two test for oil consumption rate related to the Skoda Process for this.

Once the results are computed and if failed on both counts, then the dealer can order the new engine.

To my knowledge most owners have gone through  the Skoda process supported by Skoda Customer services via the service agent doing the test.

The engine is not normally stripped!!! 

Skoda UK supply a complete "long engine" recon engine, complete with cylinder head etc. but reuse the ancillary components, turbo, supercharger etc..

Most customers then negotiate an extended 1 year warranty for the mechanical parts. Due to the disruption of the component parts in the engine bay ,as the engine strip has a high probability to damage ancillary components also the quality of work supplied in the Replacement engine. 

Please progress via Skoda UK AS MENTIONED  before and get the dealer to do things by the Skoda Book.

Note! THE COMMENTS IN YOUR MANUAL ABOUT RUNNING IN YOUR NEW CAR /ENGINE!

there ARE MANY GOOD HELPFUL COMMENTS FROM MEMEBERS ON HERE, but I would suggest that thrashing the pants off the motor is not the best way forward.

Big Sheep gives a good overview above.

I emailed Skoda UK the day I took it in so have had a reference number and service manager from day 1. Local Dealer ran the oil consumption, it failed so dealer requested engine change. Skoda technical advised dealer to just change oil breather but dealer didnt want to do this. technicial then asked dealer to do compression testing, it failed and dealer had to send pictures of scoring to technical to get authorisation for replacement engine. Thats what I have been told. The lady allocated to me as a manager from skoda UK called Caroline is useless and seems to have been out of her depth when i have been emailing about faulty CAVE codes, modifications, CTHE etc etc. Initially she was argumentative and no help until I started referencing this site and other unhappy owners then she changed her tune......I am still not confident she has a clue though. she is calling me tomorrow about my latest email requesting a warranty on the new engine.

I have also been arguing with the Skoda dealer in Lymington who I bought the car from regarding possible good will gestures and why they would knowingly sell me a car with a 10-20 percent chance it may have had a faulty CAVE in it....they acknowledge knowing of failed VRS but think I am being harsh with them!.they have directed me back to Skoda UK.

With regards to running in I will let it get up to temp each time and give it some spirited driving as I will still have 9 months of warranty (3 months manufacturer and 6 months dealer) to highlight any weakness in the new engine.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice

• Like 1

Back in Monday 7th as only have 560 miles added.  will update shortly

Had the consumption test completed today after 912 miles, no figures given, so just have to wait on Skoda UK getting back to the dealer.  Although the Dealer said it has used very little on the test, mainly motorway mileage but imo that should have no impact on consumption...

could the car be the exception to the rule? has the breather mod worked....

I would say the mainly Motorway miles had an affect / impact and the engine might well use little oil driven that way.

Often the oil consumption is higher on cars doing short runs, engine not long up to temperature.

?

So how much oil was the car using that had you taking it for an Oil Consumption test, and that had the car getting the Breather Pipe / Valve Mod?

Time will tell if it worked or not,

but the Warranty Work has started so thats the important thing, if it is an Oil User then they will have to finish the Job,

which means a new engine.

Just had a conversation with Tom Chadwick at Skoda UK ,agreeing the last element of my Partner's claim. £150 for oil receipt and disruption caused.

So New recon,  1 year entended Skoda warranty and oil costs-result in my book.

However, not without bloody hard work  with Skoda UK, patience and a good dealer/service agent.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 3

A good dealership/service centre and a good contact at SUK seems to be the easiest way to getting the best outcome. (Although obvious really) I was lucky to have Tom Chadwick myself and also a service manager that has just been called to some kind of competition showing how good he is at his job. (Won It a few years in a row) since my engine replacement I have done 4824miles and my oil hasnt moved on the dipstick. Which worries me a bit.... tells you all you need to know when its seen to be weird when a car uses NO oil!!!

• Like 2

Seems like toms right hand man is easier to work with as I had 12 month extended warranty and 200 pound spend in the skoda network for oil brought.

Didn't mention about the amount of money i spent on oil at first it was Dan who said to me you have put more oil in then you would of expected to so will compensate you for it

• Like 2

It is Great when a plan comes together.

3 more Amigos all ended up with new engines and expenses refunded.

Now Skoda UK just need to do the same for the rest of the Owners with the few Twinchargers left needing their problems resolved.

If they let the Customer Services Call Handlers know how to proceed,

& let more Dealership Service Managers know, 

all should be sorted out in time for the Launch of the Fabia Mk2 Replacement.  

Save them the Embarrassment of Twincharger Owners turning up at the Dealers Launches with Oil Burners with signs in them,

saying the likes of 

'Skoda Sell you a car, and if its a Lemon, then tough luck'.

• Like 2

Bump again,

For those that have not yet experience Skoda UK Customer Services or some Skoda UK Dealers Treatment if they have a Engine failing and need to start 

the Investigation of the Fault and the attempts at getting the car put right & fit for purpose.

You might think you are alone when told they will need to look into the Oil Consumpsion,

misfires etc.

But they know what might be wrong and they know what is required,  the person you might deal with might not,

But Skoda UK Technical Services know.

george

Final update on my car:-

Got it back on Tuesday with new engine, fully valeted and exact same amount of fuel as when it went in (just under half a tank) Car seems fine except a slight missfire on cold start up. lasts a few seconds and fine every other start up after......

Skoda UK are putting a further 2 years warranty on the whole car when the manufacturers runs out in October as a gesture of good will and to regain my faith in the brand!

Skoda dealer who sold me the car are supplying some eibach springs at cost price and fitting at reduced labour rate.

All in all I was provided with a brand new gold tsi for the duration of the time my car was in the garage, got my car back in just under 3 weeks with the extended warranty and discounted springs. I cannot really complain at that!

it has to be said though that I have done a lot of emailing and phoning to get the goodwill detailed above!!!!

• Like 1

Final update on my car:-

Got it back on Tuesday with new engine, fully valeted and exact same amount of fuel as when it went in (just under half a tank) Car seems fine except a slight missfire on cold start up. lasts a few seconds and fine every other start up after......

Skoda UK are putting a further 2 years warranty on the whole car when the manufacturers runs out in October as a gesture of good will and to regain my faith in the brand!

Skoda dealer who sold me the car are supplying some eibach springs at cost price and fitting at reduced labour rate.

All in all I was provided with a brand new gold tsi for the duration of the time my car was in the garage, got my car back in just under 3 weeks with the extended warranty and discounted springs. I cannot really complain at that!

it has to be said though that I have done a lot of emailing and phoning to get the goodwill detailed above!!!!

That's good news.

Hope you found us helpful in that process.

• Like 1

That's good news.

Hope you found us helpful in that process.

Yeah without the forum information and advice I wouldnt have been as confident pushing Skoda for the new engine and wouldnt have really known about the twincharger issues so its been invaluable. Much appreciated to everyone!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread so that any Twincharger owners with recent dealings with Skoda UK & Skoda Dealerships can maybe post.

It is odd that some are still being treated very differently,

some are treated in a way that are polar opposites, from good Customer Services and Compensation & Expenses covered,

to just being given the Minimum & then Skoda UK HQ Managers trying to say, you have had your lot, clear off.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Bought car from Arnold Clark (Ford) Linwood on 2 June this year. 

Begun process with Skoda UK something like 3 weeks later as already noticed a hunger for oil.

Dealer, or at least when the Service Manager was handling it, utterly hopeless, technically illiterate, obtuse, and prone to procrastination leading to excessive delays and frustration.

Skoda UK were ok to deal with, though always reluctant to acknowledge that they knew anything of any other cars affected by same or similar problem, and always reluctant to put anything into writing at any point.

Skoda UK intervened and asked someone else at dealers to handle case, chap was much more in tune with problem and much less abrasive to deal with. 

Skoda and dealer arranged courtesy car at their cost while car was in for oil consumption test, and Skoda bore the cost of courtesy car with the subsequent engine change, albeit the work had to be put back due to no one at Skoda actually arranging a courtesy car until the dealer got so frustrated at his workshop being booked out for a car that wasn't there that he called and roasted them, with the result that 2 hours later our car was in and a shine 14 plate Focus was available.

Engine change successfully completed 24 September.

After my intervention Skoda arranged for dealer to note service schedule with relevant details and for me to get information I was insistent on having, but this should have been done at the time of engine change.

As for goodwill, Skoda UK described the engine change as a goodwill gesture despite the car being well within manufacturer's warranty period. They have offered 2 years parts warranty on the engine with 12 months labour, and refunded the cost of the oil which was under £40. They have made known that there will be no further offer of goodwill as I bought the car from a non skoda garage and therefore have no brand loyalty.

My wife, who is the owner of the car, doesn't want me to pursue this further as she is happy to have an engine that runs as it was intended to be. I am still working out whether or not to pursue.

All in all, Skoda were the epitome of all that is wrong with the big business world we live in today. Yes, they replaced the engine, yes the refunded the cost of the oil, and yes they stood the cost of a courtesy car while ours was getting fixed.

But at all times they did everything they could to avoid acknowledgement that there was a manufacturing problem, and never came within a mile of admitting anything akin to that either verbally or in writing. At all times everything was done to protect Skoda's name, and the fallback position was to blame me for buying from Scotland's largest car retailer.

Sehen Sie kein Übel, hören kein Übel, sprechen Sie kein Übel.

• Like 2

Following my oil test a few months back I had the breather mod fitted. The light came on about 800 miles in. I then topped up again and again come on after about 800 miles.

I was told 3 days ago that they'd call me in 2 days. looks like i'm gonna have to get on their backs again. They payed 80% of the breather mod so lets see what they do next. Had about as much as I can take of calls being sprung back and forth now. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Muckingfuppet "PoloGTI Oil consumption thread

Check out his recent update!

He seems to be getting some crap support from Dealer / VW UKCS.

Just shows up once again the inconsistent treatment dished out to  VAG Customers.