High Mileage Octavia L&K Estate

Dear All

I appreciate the high mileage question has been raised before so please bear with me!

A close family member is buying a new car and has offered me their 53 plate Octavia L&K 1.9 TDI Estate, details of which are as follows:

200K miles but has been owned by them from new, driven sensibly, well looked after etc

In addition to being serviced properly it has had a few major repairs such as replacement turbo, timing belt etc but this doesn't overly concern as these are items that shouldn't be on my 'horizon'. I know for fact that they recently spent around £800

If I buy it, the mileage incurred going forward will be very low, literally a second utility car for missus to nip to shops etc

They are asking £2000 for the car which is rigid. I know this price is way above market value but can't really go hard ball, negotiation wise due to it being a family member!

I've tried to explain that the valuation of the car should be based on what the market will offer, not on money spent servicing the car etc. Their view is that 'taxi drivers would be queueing down the road to buy it if they advertised it' !!!

Anyhow, it's like this, £2k and the car is mine. Is this a no-brainer ?!?!

PS apologies - reposted this here as was originally posted in wrong sub-forum

I hate to say it, but let them try and sell it to a taxi driver with 200k on it. Without wishing to be rude, they're deluded. The sad fact if the matter is these are buyers cars; there are plenty out there and just because they've spent a fortune on it (most likely mileage related repairs - what's te chances that the turbo didn't need replacement, rather £2 of Mr Muscle VNT 'repair' instead?)

Let them find another buyer, you have no obligation just because it's family. And no taxi driver on earth will buy a car already with 200k on it - they're the ones that take brand new cars and put 200k on they by 5 years old in the first place!

Have to agree with Dave 200k means it's worth very little regardless of money spent. If it got wrote off the day after you bought it the insurance would give you £500-600 for it so you'd loose a lot of money. I appreciate it's family so if you don't want to offend just decline their offer and use your 2k to buy a lower mileage one there's lots of these out there.

• Like 1

I got my elegance for £2600 with 96k on the clock and I overpaid. £2000 for 200k miles, even L&K, is a rip. You can grab a lower, but still good, spec for less than half what they are asking with half the mileage if you look around.

If it had a quarter of the mileage and was an 05 plate rather than an 03 then it might be worth what they want.

£2,000 is delusional. They may have just spent £800 on it - imho £800 is probably a bit over what it's value is.

If you were going to use it as a short hop runabout,

the diesel engine wont really like that - not getting up to temp properly etc.

and 2K is way too much for that car, no matter who is selling it.

If they put it on the market like that, they will very disappointed...

If your looking at spending that kinda cash, you'd be better off looking at a Fabia for yourself,

get better bang for your buck :) in terms of what your looking for from the car.

If you give me £2000,I'd sell you my vRS :rock:

Only done 89k and 53 plate.

Seriously,they'd be lucky to get £1200-1500 for it.

Most people would turn and run knowing it's 200k mileage.

I've bought cars off family/family friends before but it's usually below trade price or just slightly above.

Good luck!

I part-exed my '03 Elegance estate (with FSH and 76K miles) for the Yeti two years ago and I thought getting £1800 was good going. L&Ks are nice but that price is too high regardless of what has been spent on it.

I'm a taxi driver and there is no way any driver would part with 2 k for this car. At the very top it's worth £900. My octavia mk1 is 7 years old and done 320000. I will keep it for another 3 years. That said it's probably not worth anything to anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1