Excessive Oil consumption 1.9Tdi

Hi all,

Im a bit new to this but hope someone can point be in the right direction.

I have a 2006 1.9tdi Octavia. BKC engine with 450,000KM. ( motorway driving) Its driving like a dream and I do most of my own maintenance. However it is progressively using far too much oil. I have been using high quality VW507 spec, fully synthetic 5W30 oil from new and service the car very regularly.  I havent noticed any excessive smoke from the exhaust during driving but there is a lot of carbon on the end of the exhaust pipe. There is a small bit of blue/grey smoke on startup.

Over last few months the oil consumption has risen quite a lot to about a litre every 2 months which equates to approx 8,000 km. I had an issue with the  EGR valve which was clogged with carbon. I celaned this out thoroughly but it wont reset so that will probably  have to be changed.

I am thinking along three lines.

Piston ring wear.

Turbo shaft seal wear although there is certainly no loss of power.

Valve stem seal wear.

I was also told of a issue with some type of filter that is under the Cam shaft ( rocker) cover that effects air usage and can cause oil consumption. dont know anyting about this !!!

Has anyone any ideas or come accross this issue. I know the oil consumption with the light oils is a bit higher but not this high.  I want to get the 1 million Km out of it before I have to change the engine for the second million  :)

many thanks

Anthony

Would a switch to a 5w40 like this be worth a try if it's suitable for your engine/on a fixed service interval as you don't need low ash oils as you have no DPF?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-Quantum-Platinum-5W40-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litres-/181376560205?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2a3ae2ac4d

• Like 1

Would a switch to a 5w40 like this be worth a try if it's suitable for your engine/on a fixed service interval as you don't need low ash oils as you have no DPF?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-Quantum-Platinum-5W40-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litres-/181376560205?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2a3ae2ac4d

Might be worth trying a 5w40 in it as it has higher mileage on the engine. Should it not be 505 spec in it? Edited by FatblokeVRS

1 litre/8000km - I would say is acceptable at 450k kms . You need to do a compression test and cylinder leak down test to check the state of the engine. Proper testing can determine if there is problem with rings, head, valves etc. I would suspect turbo to wear out before the engine does, but without proper testing your just guessing...

Edited by classic

Also something obvious to check but have you looked for any oil leaks?

If it's not really smoking but you're going through a lot of oil then it may be leaking out somewhere.

Phil