DPF done ? How do I tell ?

The other day I pulled into a car park and while fiddling around noticed my revs were 1100. They had not sunk to 750.

I thought  "Ah ah --a regen !!".  After waiting ten minutes I really had to switch off or miss an appointment.

So I took it on a nearby motorway again today and drove 15 minutes one way and 15 minutes back at 2500 rpm and a bit more in 4 th gear.

Thanks to the lousy information supply on my dashboard displays I have no idea if this worked.

Does any knowledgeable person on here have a view on this please.?

This is the second time this has happened.  I think I will repeat the process on the first day of every month from now on.  But I will still be in the dark as to whether or not it has done the job.

Many thanks.

Rapid 1.6 TDI  

It'd be nice if there was a way to tell if it had been done but I suspect the men at VAG have deemed that info not suitable for owners and thus not available.

Even after a good long run our 1.6 Golf often seems to pick up some sort of 'Start Regen Now' signal from the sign at the end of our road, but magically, only when I'm coming home........ :wall:

Yeah, I was chatting about this to a dealer who also sells Isuzus and apparently they not only tell you they're doing a regen, but have a progress bar to tell you how its going and what state the DPF is in. Another nice thing they could implement, if they weren't trying to dumb the car down and make money off DPF failures.

Many thanks.

It's probably all in my mind but the car seems nippier and smoother and quieter after an Italian tune up.  And it is not slow rough or noisy anyway.

Love the crack about selling replacement DPFs.  Harsh but could well be true.

Can anyone explain something to me please?   There seem to be two different regens.   One while in motion that no-one notices and the other that does not complete so you notice the raised revs and wait in a car park or front drive up to 25 minutes for it to finish.

Am I right that in the second case the car uses extra fuel, the timing is altered and the EGR is switched off.  And this uses sump oil and dirties the sump oil.   So it is best if possible always to do an "in motion" regen rather than a stationery one.

Did any of that make sense?

I would leave it to it's own devices.

You only need to do anything if the DPF indicator light comes on and then you are supposed to follow this procedure as per the manual:

To clean the filter, and where traffic conditions permit

drive as follows for at least 15 minutes or until the indicator light

goes out.

4 or 5 Gear engaged (automatic transmission: position S).

Vehicle speed at least 70 km/h.

Engine speed between 1800-2500 rpm.

If the filter is properly cleaned, the warning icon

goes out.

• Like 1

may could watch the instantaneous fuel consumption (if it has this) - should improve dramatically when regen is complete

If it's still doing the business when I reach my destination to hurry the job I just sit with my foot on the power (it only goes to about 2300rpm when stationary) and wait for the change in engine tone, normally about 4 minutes at the most.

I believe there are four types: Passive, active, assisted and forced.

Passive happens all the time while you are driving.

If that isn't enough, it will then actively try and regen, which is what you notice and can interrupt. This is what they need to flag up to the driver.

If that isn't enough, the light comes on and you have to help it along.

If that isn't enough, it's off to the dealer or someone with VCDS to force it to do one.

I really think instead of "leaving it to its own devices" and, after a series of unfinished regens, getting a message on my dashboard, it will be better to stop it getting unnecessarily dirty in the first place by helping it along by a monthly Italian tune up.

I can't see a single thing wrong with my logic.  So every month from now on £3 in tolls on my local motorway.

Or I buy an Isuzus.

Thank you all.

The DPF will tell you if there is an issue with an amber light, meaning it needs a run to clean it out.

It's only a problem if it progresses to a red light.

So I wouldn't worry, just use the car as normal.

If you turn the car off and finish a regen cycle the car will jsut do it when it gets chance.

These modern CR diesel engines are so clean burning you hardly ever hear of anyone actually seeing an amber light.

Izuzus probably have a better system because they clog the filter up more.

• Like 1

If it's still doing the business when I reach my destination to hurry the job I just sit with my foot on the power (it only goes to about 2300rpm when stationary) and wait for the change in engine tone, normally about 4 minutes at the most.

I had this driving to work. When i arrived i was wondering why it was so hot and smelled so bad. It also sounded weird. 

Thank you all.

BossFox-------It took me a while to find the DPF symbol at 5 to 12 on my rev counter.   It lights up red very briefly when i switch on.  Does it change colour to amber sometimes?   Or is there another light I have not seen ?   Some people seem to get flashing glow plug light in connection with regens. Is this the one you meant?

Sorry to ask awkward questions of you.  Thank you

As well as the raised tickover there is another indication.  If you have maxidot with oil temperature readout then that gives a good clue that a regen is in progress.

Around town, on A roads and 70mph motorway cruising my oil temperature sits between 90-100C; mostly around 90-95.  When it starts a regen the oil temperature climbs VERY rapidly to 100+.  On my homeward commute I have seen it climb from 75 to 102 or 103 around 5 miles into the journey, over a 2 mile gentle uphill stretch at 40mph where normally it will only reach around 80-85.  This does seem to be a favourite section for the regen to start so I watch for it and take a little 3 miles A road detour to let it complete.  When the regen is finished the oil temperature drops back.

The thing I don't understand is that the manual says to drive a gear lower to assist regen.  Why then does it not convey this information via the gear change indicator that doggedly insists I change up to a DMF shuddering 5th gear on the 40mph uphill section I refer to above whether it is in regen or not!

I believe there are four types: Passive, active, assisted and forced.

Passive happens all the time while you are driving.

If that isn't enough, it will then actively try and regen, which is what you notice and can interrupt. This is what they need to flag up to the driver.

If that isn't enough, the light comes on and you have to help it along.

If that isn't enough, it's off to the dealer or someone with VCDS to force it to do one.

That is a great summary.  I saw a VAG publication linked on Briskoda that I have now lost (!) that gave a very good summary of the process very much as described above but giving the carbon loading in grams for each phase.  It also said that if there has been no active regen in the last 750 km then one will be started no matter what the loading.  That could be the cause of the incomprehensible regen that starts as you pull into your drive after a 200 mile blast on the motorway during which passive regen has probably done the job already!

Some people seem to be getting a lot of regens! 

I have noticed four in nearly two years, because it was higher idle and the "burnt rubber" smell was evident when I got out.

Those that are getting weekly regens, obvious to them, are you just doing short trips?

I only ask, as I'm thinking of changing cars soon and may go petrol, because we're doing way less miles.  Extra cost of the diesel engine to buy, extra cost of fuel, worry of not effecting DPF regen...all adds up to a pointer to petrol!

I have noticed four in nearly two years, because it was higher idle and the "burnt rubber" smell was evident when I got out.

Those that are getting weekly regens, obvious to them, are you just doing short trips?

I only ask, as I'm thinking of changing cars soon and may go petrol, because we're doing way less miles.  Extra cost of the diesel engine to buy, extra cost of fuel, worry of not effecting DPF regen...all adds up to a pointer to petrol!

The key is "I have noticed four in nearly two years".

There will have been a whole load more that you didn't notice and that is why all the scaremongering and panic around DPFs is so totally misplaced!  In my experience the process is over within 3-5 miles of normal driving and fuel consumption is barely affected.  The ones you noticed are those that had just finished or were in progress when you stopped and got out.  You will have had an active regen at least once every 750mliles (or may be km!).

Anyone getting "weekly regens" is not covering sufficient distance to allow completion so there are multiple aborted starts.  I have found that it needs 3-5miles after the engine has warmed up to complete a regen - so around 8-10mile journey of normal driving - ie not bumper to bumper traffic crawling.  My commute is 8miles mainly 40/60 mph limits, 50% in 5th gear with very little stop-start and that is enough to start and finish a regen.

well im getting 48+ mpg out of my rapid 1.2 tsi and its definately the way to go.my previous car was a focus 2.0 tdci and i had massive issues with the engine and i would never go back to diesel again.

well im getting 48+ mpg out of my rapid 1.2 tsi and its definately the way to go.my previous car was a focus 2.0 tdci and i had massive issues with the engine and i would never go back to diesel again.

There is nothing misplaced about the issues with modern day diesels.ask any good mechanic what he thinks about them.If you want facts about these issues look on the honest john web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but can some kind expert continue my education please ?

Just done a 106 mile drive keeping up with the traffic so 90 uninterrupted miles at 80 to 85. Rest at 30 or so.  Parked it.  Half hour later did a 5 mile trip to shops and back pulled into drive and got 1000 RPM and a right old clatter.  The heat under the car has re-fired the tiles on my drive.

I left it to finish. And left it some more. And then even more.   After 20 minutes neighbour came out and politely asked what all the bloody noise is about.  I explained and he believed me more that I believed myself.  The engine oil on the microdot showed 112 degrees.  I think my car wants to become a mobile chippy.

How the hell does the useless pile need a DPF regen after a trip of 106 miles at a good lick??  So I revved it to 3000 and released and it settled to 750.

Does it need looking at?  Does anyone think.  What do I tell the garage is wrong?  Is it wrong?   Please.  And thank you.

I believe they do a regen after a certain number of miles since the last active regen. During your run it would have just been doing the passive regeneration, so didn't reset the counter.

That's my theory, at least, assuming your car doesn't have any faulty sensors.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but can some kind expert continue my education please ?

Just done a 106 mile drive keeping up with the traffic so 90 uninterrupted miles at 80 to 85. Rest at 30 or so.  Parked it.  Half hour later did a 5 mile trip to shops and back pulled into drive and got 1000 RPM and a right old clatter.  The heat under the car has re-fired the tiles on my drive.

I left it to finish. And left it some more. And then even more.   After 20 minutes neighbour came out and politely asked what all the bloody noise is about.  I explained and he believed me more that I believed myself.  The engine oil on the microdot showed 112 degrees.  I think my car wants to become a mobile chippy.

How the hell does the useless pile need a DPF regen after a trip of 106 miles at a good lick??  So I revved it to 3000 and released and it settled to 750.

Does it need looking at?  Does anyone think.  What do I tell the garage is wrong?  Is it wrong?   Please.  And thank you.

You really don't need to do anything unless the DPF light is on (the yellow pic of the silencer with dots on).  AFAIK It won't do the regen when stationary - the raised tickover is just to keep the pot boiling - you need to be driving for the regen to take place.  If it is doing a regen when you pull into your drive just switch off and forget it.  Next time you drive more than 5 miles or so it will just start again and finish off what it started.

That said, I can't imagine what the noise was that caused your neighbour to comment.  Only thing I ever notice is a slightly raised tickover (1000 rpm) and the engine cooling fan running on after the engine has stopped, neither of which is enough to cause a 2nd glance from someone standing right next to it. 

The car will do an active regen every 750miles even if the filter has been completely emptied (unlikely) from passive regen on long motorway hauls.

Ignorance is bliss with these things - before I bought mine I asked a work colleague if she had problems with her DPF (2yr old 1.6TDi Yeti Greenline) - "What's a DPF?"  was the reply.  Said it all for me!!  Likewise after 11k miles in 11 months if I knew nothing about DPF's then nothing the car has done would have broken my ignorance.

In summary - just ignore the DPF unless the yellow light comes on.   And stop worrying about it!!

• Like 1

Many thanks.

The raised revs did not concern me or the heat under the car but it definitely had a nasty clatter about it.  My wife came out with a face like thunder and asked what the noise was as well as the bloke across the road.

It sounded decidedly tractorish.  After 20 minutes I had had enough.  TWENTY minutes.  That ain't right is it ? Or is it?  I think something got stuck.

Thank you for the info that it will do regens based on mileage even if it has done on-the-road regens.  I shall cross my fingers and just switch the damn thing off in the middle in future and let it sort itself out.  If this is duff gen where do I send my repair bill? :giggle::sweat:

Many thanks.

The raised revs did not concern me or the heat under the car but it definitely had a nasty clatter about it.  My wife came out with a face like thunder and asked what the noise was as well as the bloke across the road.

It sounded decidedly tractorish.  After 20 minutes I had had enough.  TWENTY minutes.  That ain't right is it ? Or is it?  I think something got stuck.

Thank you for the info that it will do regens based on mileage even if it has done on-the-road regens.  I shall cross my fingers and just switch the damn thing off in the middle in future and let it sort itself out.  If this is duff gen where do I send my repair bill? :giggle::sweat:

The very fact that Skoda choose to give you no "in the face" indication should tell you that you don't need to worry.  When the DPF light comes on (if it ever does) and a brisk 10-20mile drive doesn't extinguish it, and it goes into limp mode - THEN you can start worrying.

Oh!  and you are correct!  "TWENTY minutes" isn't right!  I don't wonder you drew attention.  What kind of loony sits on the drive revving the nuts off his car for TWENTY minutes? :giggle: :giggle:   From the way you have written your post I guess you weren't sitting there patiently whilst peacefully admiring the spring flowers in your garden ... :swear: :swear: :notme::giggle:

By all means send me the bill - I won't pay it but it will serve as a warning for me to leave the country.. :bandit::rofl:

"What kind of loony sits on the drive revving the nuts off his car for TWENTY minutes?    From the way you have written your post I guess you weren't sitting there patiently whilst peacefully admiring the spring flowers in your garden ..".

OK sunshine listen and strain yourself to read and understand this.   Where does it say I sat there revving the nuts off my car??

The car was doing the revving on its own--I thought I was supposed to let it get on with it. Switching off in the middle is to be avoided I have read.

Read that again if you did not get it first time. 

Why do you guess I wasn't sitting there patiently?    I said I raised the revs to 3000 and released and it settled down to 750. 

Take your time read it again.  Did you get it??  Give up with the guessing  it takes brains.   Don't bother replying.