New exhaust time - what are my options please folks?

Evening chums!

Well, my '51 plate Mk. 1 has started to blow from the exhaust. Nothing too serious, but I have an MOT coming up so needs to be sorted. Seems it's coming from somewhere just in front of the rear wheels, but until I can get underneath I can't really see.

Assuming the system is original and probably past it's best, what are my options for replacement? Obviously these have an interesting exhaust tip on them, which I am assuming won't be the case with a Kwik-Fit special?!

I've had a quick look round the net, and I can't seem to find anything other than Millteks and Jetex's for around £400 - that's before fitting. A big bill on a car worth only maybe three times that at the most!

I don't fancy trying to find someone to weld it up - I think that would be a temporary bodge anyway. 

So - can I get anything that looks and performs as standard, but doesn't cost over 400 quid?

Your advice very much appreciated as usual please.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same situation. Well not yet but mine is also a 51 plate and on its original exhaust. Although its not blowing it looks past its best. What they made those with is anyones guess. 13 years out of an oem exhaust!!

As above Powerflo or Longlife dealer, have any tailpipe then and pick the noise you want.

Ah, just done a Google for these - interesting, thanks my friend.

Any idea what sort of money I would be looking at? I only want something similar to standard.

Thanks.

Mine is also moving about and is bent at the back. When you try and put it straight by hand, it just flops on the rubbers that are holding it. I may visit my local powerflow dealer where i had a custom exhaust made for my other car. Only issue is i want to try and upgrade the downpipe as well...

I contacted longlife exhaust for a quote. They got back yesterday with approx £295. Not too bad.

Heya.

Yeah, that's not TOO bad - however I am a medical student at the moment and even 300 quid is a bloody fortune for me!!!

Anyway - bad update - was driving her today, and suddenly the exhaust noise went from a small blow to baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! 

Got home and the rear box has sheared away from the mid section right where the pipe goes into the rear box.

So I have removed the rear box and now just have the mid-section ending under the car by the rear wheel. Bah.

To be fair, I guess because of the turbo being in the way....it's not TOO noisy....it's driveable as long as I keep the revs down so it doesn't sound like a chav-wagon.

Does anyone know if the likes of Kwik-Fit do a basic replacement for like 100 to 200 quid? I just can't stretch to 300 right now. My next student loan isn't due until 18th September. So I am in a bit of a quandry?

Failing that - does anyone have anything knocking around in their garage that I can buy for a few tokens to help me out please? No harm in asking....

Thanks!

There are plenty of people breaking them so get a second hand exhaust or just back box the get a few spanners and fit it yourself.

It is not a hard job and you could save ££££££s

I also have the oem exhaust on mine, 12 years old, I hate the tail pipe and how it hangs low!

Mine is also moving about and is bent at the back. When you try and put it straight by hand, it just flops on the rubbers that are holding it. I may visit my local powerflow dealer where i had a custom exhaust made for my other car. Only issue is i want to try and upgrade the downpipe as well...

Mine had the same - the centre clamp was loose causing the tail pipe to sit low. Replacing the rubber hangers didn't fix it and the bolts that hadn't moved in 11 years were a pain to undo!

If the clamp is loose then replace it and get someone to align the tail pipe when you do the clamp back up. If it's not loose then just undo it and get someone to try and re-align the tailpipe when do you it back up.

• Like 1

Ok - update for those whom are still interested!

After a lot of research - there are no pattern exhausts available.

There's nothing second hand on Ebay at the moment. But to be honest, I don't want to bodge it up with used parts anyway, that will only cause problems later on.

Main dealer / TPS want about 400 quid for an OEM middle and back. So that would then be +more for fitting.

Magnex and Powerflow also want north of 400 quid to supply and fit a stainless system.

For now, I have had the back box (badly) welded back on. It definitely won't win any prizes for neatness - but it will do for a few weeks to keep the car quiet.

Meantime, I spoke to my local 'Longlife' exhaust dealer. HE came back with 379 including vat and fitted, to my spec, for a new T304 stainless system. Not too bad. Then I told him I was a medical student and would he do me a student / nhs discount? To my amazement he said he would, so now I am looking at 340 quid.

He's got a 3-week lead time so far, so it is booked in for the new system to be fitted around the 20th August.

Should be quite good. Will post back with feedback / pictures after then!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the likes of Kwik-Fit do a basic replacement for like 100 to 200 quid? I just can't stretch to 300 right now. My next student loan isn't due until 18th September. So I am in a bit of a quandry?

Failing that - does anyone have anything knocking around in their garage that I can buy for a few tokens to help me out please? No harm in asking....

As you found out , you will not get a replacement from kwik fit as they just don't supply them. It is typically Dealer or a company selling OEM equivalent . Mind you you will be scared of the price. Again as you found out

Will make the aftermarket exhaust seem quite reasonable.

The original system back box is actually stainless which is why it lasts longer than most and why it is pricey to buy.

I have a full OEM system is pretty good nick if needed.

The £300 - £380 mark is about what to buy for a stainless system these days