Thinking Of Buying - Advice (NOW BOUGHT) + (Bits 'N' Bobs)

FUBAR

I expect the turbo needs a very good ragging (when hot) to clear it out, possibly even mr muscle clean. 42k miles in that many years is nothing. I expect the engine has been driven conservatively as well.

Dont tell Julian about that mr muscling though ;):D

The later 90bhp engines did have vnt turbos, so yours will have

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I always thought the 90s were fixed vane but this has caused me to have a nosy round the web and apparently the ALH engine (which mine was) had the VVT from the 110 bhp engine. If yours is doing sub 10 secs 0-60 Fubar it probably is too and so could do with a clean if it's been dawdled around for years. This helps explain the flexibility and in gear performance! Every day's a school day. Thanks trundlenut.

aye, ive been reliably informed the difference with a 90bhp and 110bhp is injector size, and idle fueling needs to be adjusted thru vcds.... Otherwise identical lumps...

A stock 90bhp mkI won't do sub 10 0-60. The 110 TDI does it in about 11 secs. The 130 PD mkI will do it in under 10s.

It was 9.02 seconds on wrist stop watch sort of job will use torque app when I have it insured to drive again as an experiment. I am sure the official 0-60 is meant to be 12 seconds odd. But there again with my Mk2FL CR TDi vRS 0-60 is officially 9 seconds odd but people see sub 7seconds and thats a heavy big motor with wider tyres in comparison. Are the 90bhp's like the other TDi's and tending to be more than they state when tested? My 1.9 PD TDi 130 (BLT) in Mk1 Fabia vRS ran 152bhp and 151bhp on 2 different rolling roads stock for example. 

The speedo on my old 110 under read by 4-5mph at 60, so that would make a bit of difference.

At 60mph on speedo mine is doing substantially more on GPS lol :( 

Put the 530D up for sale and 2 hours later I got into it and BOOM friggin air bag warning light randomly comes on............ It appears to be resisting it's sale! I just want my new Octy on the road!!!!! belts and pump then a nice service and she should be a frugal wee trooper. 

Anyone want to buy a 530D with 88K and an air bag light on :D 

Put the 530D up for sale and 2 hours later I got into it and BOOM friggin air bag warning light randomly comes on............ It appears to be resisting it's sale! I just want my new Octy on the road!!!!! belts and pump then a nice service and she should be a frugal wee trooper.

Anyone want to buy a 530D with 88K and an air bag light on :D

Just reset it before they buy it ;)

That sounds a bit wrong. Mine would be doing 55-56 on the GPS and 60 on the speedo.

Yea it's a weird one, can such things be adjusted on VCDS? I know the MPG can be adjusted etc so can speedo be too? Looking at it more in depth bang on 30mph gave GPS of 33/34 and on 60mph gave 56/66mph etc. It's almost like it's set up to the prosecution threshold. I wonder where speedo sensor is and if they fail? The voltage regulator on back of cluster is a weak point according to the link I posted earlier on giving erratic speedo read outs, but mine as rather consistent from what I have seen at the amount it's out by.  

Just reset it before they buy it ;)

I am betting it's the passenger seat mat sensor which was subject of a recall on all 5 series but only done for USA market.......... You can get a bypass plug for it that tells car someone is sat in seat all the time thus keeping airbag's on that side active in the event, but that then throws up the seatbelt not fastened alarm and warning messages on idrive and light on dash..... so there is ANOTHER little bypass for that to show seatbelt fastened all time to computer. But after any of that it still needs reset on a proper computer it seems not just a normal code reader for the airbag side of things. Nearest dealer 4 hour round trip and will charge me £100 min to reset it! 

in relation to the rolling roads, while i dont ever be bothered with any of that, i know from hanging around the many car owners forums that - shock horror - rolling roads tend to lie!!!!!

in relation to the rolling roads, while i dont ever be bothered with any of that, i know from hanging around the many car owners forums that - shock horror - rolling roads tend to lie!!!!!

Of course they can and do, but 2 different rolling roads in 2 different countries though. The BLT engine did bring up higher readings consistently though among all Brisky members in the Mk1 Furby world that went on any road. Felt stock for stock much more powerful than the other type in the earlier models. Still on stage 1 remap where a 130 which tended to be (140-145) goes to 170-175 ish mine made 173, so does support its initial results well. Third rolling road that car ran on was post map and was less than 1bhp difference to my graph on the day of map. When I was getting the Octy remapped at 6 weeks old, a new guy in the place while chatting and said I used to have the Fabia, told me they had apparently had one in a few years before that ran 152bhp! Twas mine and it did run 9 times on that road :D  

• Like 1

Yea it's a weird one, can such things be adjusted on VCDS? I know the MPG can be adjusted etc so can speedo be too? Looking at it more in depth bang on 30mph gave GPS of 33/34 and on 60mph gave 56/66mph etc. It's almost like it's set up to the prosecution threshold. I wonder where speedo sensor is and if they fail? The voltage regulator on back of cluster is a weak point according to the link I posted earlier on giving erratic speedo read outs, but mine as rather consistent from what I have seen at the amount it's out by.  

Completely forgot to reply to this. With VCDS in the instrument controller there is a coding option which relates to speed distance impulse or something like that.

Actually Google reveals all - it's distance impulse number

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/how-to-change-the-speedometer-for-3-4-miles-fast-mk4-vag-com/

• Like 1

Completely forgot to reply to this. With VCDS in the instrument controller there is a coding option which relates to speed distance impulse or something like that.

Actually Google reveals all - it's distance impulse number

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/how-to-change-the-speedometer-for-3-4-miles-fast-mk4-vag-com/

Epic cheers, now all i need it VCDS bahhhhhhhh No one local has it on brisky unfortunately.

Scratch that, I didn't think I could do that with VCDS-Lite. Seems I can lol I have no idea about all this sort of thing, but I think mine is different to the one in the link in it's order of what each number along the full length of code means, I found another guide online for exactly the same thing but another vag model and again it's a different lay out :( Being VCDS-Lite I cannot see the info on the coding just make changes blind :D I ran through the last single digit anyway. Range I had to play with was 1-5 stock set to '2' like in the link, holly smokes none of them seemed to work, I tried 1 as I am going the opposite way to most but that made it worse left it back to 2 in end. indicated 25mph and 48mph GPS at one point :o Seen on another link people saying can be changed that way or just move the needle itself and refers onto another guide from someone changing lights in dash or something for the disassembly of a Golf's same pod. 

I saw a Mk2 for a good price today as well :o :O :o :O I need to be stopped, I was seriously thinking of going to see it while I have 2 cars sat here and before that was looking at a bike! 

I had a mini ages ago and the speedo was wrong by about 20% (under reading). Turned out the drive cog thingy in the gearbox had been replaced with the wrong part at some point.

Yes, it could just be the electronic sensor is feeding the speedo with garbage. Drive the car with VCDS connected, using the measuring blocks in the instrument cluster find one that displays the current speed. Speed in VCDS will be KMH most likely, but see how it compares to the speedo. If VCDS and speedo agree the issue is the speedo sensor,  if VCDS and GPS agree then the issue is the cluster settings. The speed can also be found in the Engine ECU if you want to check that as well.

• Like 1

Yes, it could just be the electronic sensor is feeding the speedo with garbage. Drive the car with VCDS connected, using the measuring blocks in the instrument cluster find one that displays the current speed. Speed in VCDS will be KMH most likely, but see how it compares to the speedo. If VCDS and speedo agree the issue is the speedo sensor,  if VCDS and GPS agree then the issue is the cluster settings. The speed can also be found in the Engine ECU if you want to check that as well.

Been reading all over the forum going back years and years and years and another year or three! Speedo sensor is my hope! I am led to believe that it is visible under the car with under tray off somewhere? 

My 530D sold the other night and yesterday morning I changed my insurance over to the Octy and she is now back on the road as my full time car! With the new Bosch MAF in and code free I took her out for a drive yesterday and covered every sort of road, speeds and gradients possible to see if it would offer any resistance. The car is driving perfectly, really like it's just left the factory! The speedo issue remains and I have been driving and will continue to drive with my old sat nav on showing big speedo on screen to monitor it to see if it is a constant and always out by the same amount. 

At 30mph indicated - GPS 31mph, at 40mph indicated - GPS 35mph indicated - GPS 40mph, at 45mpy - GPS 50mph and at 55mph indicated - 60mph. Those are all approximates and it's around that +/- 1mph but approx 5mph off gps above 30mph indicated. Ironically it does seem to be at indicated speeds almost bang on sticking just below the 'advised' prosecution threshold.

Some pics of the wee badger. Black/grey rub/bump strip on front bumper looks worse in pics than real life, honest!  

Octy%2520OSFL.jpg

Octy%25201.9%2520TDi.jpg

ps. I want to play it safe and change the timing belt, but am unsure what the score is with water pumps? On ECP they have 3 listed against car but not sure which is best one if any from there? Also with 42K miles on the car and this being either it's 3rd or 4th belt when done is it worth doing fully pulley/tensioner kit with the mileage? 

42,000 and on its 3rd/4th belt? must be dates only!!!!

any hoozer - I believe aim for the metal pump option and its recommended change with belt.

Bear in mind that theres a second part of cambelt kit thats sold seperately ( might the tensioner kit... cant remember)

but if in doubt, do the tensioner too...

42,000 and on its 3rd/4th belt? must be dates only!!!!

any hoozer - I believe aim for the metal pump option and its recommended change with belt.

Bear in mind that theres a second part of cambelt kit thats sold seperately ( might the tensioner kit... cant remember)

but if in doubt, do the tensioner too...

yea changed on age, when I change belt now it will be 3rd or 4th. Car is 13 years old! The metal pump is the one I would go for but it's finding the right make? A Conti timing belt kit is about £106 on ECP belt on own is like £30/£35.