Variable Service

When I bought my 13 plate 2.0 D estate I was told oil changes were at 20k miles. Had local Dealer do first service but did not reset light or put next service due.........simply variable? What does variable actually mean. What oil is recommended? I intend doing it myself.

Variable service is as the name suggest though it depends how it is driven, driven normally you should get about 18-20k miles. If you do your own service you will have a problem unless you are a certified garage you will invalidate the warranty.

I know its a straightforward job and frustrating to have to bring it back for just something like that when you can easily do it yourself but for the sake of the extra few quid to get it serviced at a dealer it is not worth compromising the warranty as Danny57 mentions.  After all you will have spent a nice amount buying the car in the first place so the least you want is to have it fully covered.  I have had small issues come to light on the visual checks (should be part of the usual oil change or 'small service' as it is referred to) and its good to get those things sorted early on under warranty.

The other problem is that when you are on a variable service - you cannot easily reset the service counter. If you are fixed then there is a way to reset it.

With variable you will at least need access to VCDS/VAGCOM in order to reset. I know this because I had to reset mine as my dealer neglected to do it!

Daft question but how do i know whether my car is fixed or variable?

In the maxidot it says "service in **** miles *** days" so i'm assuming this means it's on fixed..... Although it's a November 2010 car and has only had two services since new both before i bought it this June so does that mean it's on variable????

Cheers

Dave.

Ah just seen another topic which confirms I wouldn't be able to tell if mine was fixed or variable just by the service indicator in maxidot. I can only assume with it only having two services that it is on variable.

Suppose it's a case of calling the dealership that did the services to confirm it.

Cheers

Dave.

In the maxidot it says "service in **** miles *** days" so i'm assuming this means it's on fixed..... Although it's a November 2010 car and has only had two services since new both before i bought it this June so does that mean it's on variable????

Cheers

Dave.

I assume it is showing figures where you have put *****  ^^^

That exactly what mine did when it was on variable.

Yes it gives so many days and miles where I put the ****.

I'll dig out the service book and try calling the dealer that serviced it both times to see if they can confirm what it is set to.

Cheers

Dave.

Yes it gives so many days and miles where I put the ****.

I'll dig out the service book and try calling the dealer that serviced it both times to see if they can confirm what it is set to.

Cheers

Dave.

If it's giving days and miles, then yes it's on variable.

cheers, Steve

• Like 1

I checked the service book and on each of the two pages filled in on previous services it says "Refer to dash" hand written with regard when the next service is due. So looks like its on variable.

Thanks for the help guys.... And sorry for hijacking the thread.

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 1